Ecology & Zoology
- Bees Are More Than Honey And Hives
It’s bee season and now’s the time to go outside and observe these popular insects. Bees hold a relatively special place in people’s affections – we have them to thank for honey, of course, and they’re also essential pollinators of many food crops and wil ...
Article - The Conversation - Jan 26 2022 - 10:42am
- Spreading 'Plant STDs'- Honeybees Allow Dangerous Viruses To Hitchhike And Home Beekeepers Help
A lot of media articles a decade ago worried about risk to honeybees from crop protection products while science should have been worried more about the viruses they carry that put plants at risk of disease. A recent study sequenced the genetic material pr ...
Article - News Staff - Jan 26 2022 - 10:43am
- Sea Cucumbers Are Ecologically Critical But Asian Food Market Demand Puts Them At Risk
Tiger blood, rhino horns, any number of natural supplements, including from endangered species, are used in the alternative medicine spheres- and that market is dominated by Asia. Sea cucumbers are used in Chinese folk medicine but are also a luxury food p ...
Article - News Staff - Mar 29 2022 - 3:52pm
- Some Parts Of Borneo Have Landscape Similar To The Pliocene Epoch, 5.3 Million Years Ago
Conservation in modern times is a misused term that trial lawyers often invoke to win lawsuits against companies before progress can commence but Brunei on the island of Borneo, which is about the size of the state of Delaware, has a great reason for all c ...
Article - Hank Campbell - Apr 30 2022 - 10:33pm
- Mariculture: How The Ocean Can Be Sustainably Cultivated To Provide Food For Developing Countries
One of the odder disconnects in western culture is people who claim to care about the environment but will only eat fish that is caught in unsustainable ways- in the wild. I suppose I get the appeal of knowing laborers risked their lives for your food and ...
Article - Hank Campbell - May 3 2022 - 12:22pm
- Orconectes Sheltae: Crayfish Thought Extinct Didn't Get The Memo
The general public sees terms like 'endangered', 'rare', and even 'extinct' used so interchangeably it's easy to believe there is little science involved. There isn't. While most of the science community has used a p ...
Article - News Staff - Jun 1 2022 - 10:13am
- A Species ‘Stock Market’ To Put A Price Tag On Biodiversity
The value of bees in pollination is overstated, outside the on-demand almond grower market the pollination done by bees would be taken up by 400,000 other species if bees disappeared tomorrow, but that doesn't mean they are not an important part of th ...
Article - Hank Campbell - Jun 20 2022 - 10:15am