But regardless of the irrational optimism of many in the political spectrum, plenty of scientists are going to be happy that protesters have now turned their sights on Zawi Hawass, a man who could only have gotten his job in a dictatorship and wielded his position just like one.
(See also Young Archaeologist Inspiration, Courtesy Of Egyptian Megalomaniac Zahi Hawass)
Protesters had bigger fish to fry, as it were, but suddenly today there were chants of "Get out" outside his offices. Hawass, whose actual title is Secretary General of the Egyptian Supreme Council of Antiquities, makes people call him "Pharaoh" and pretend they just do it naturally - if you don't like it, you'll never go anywhere in Egypt. But protesters are on a roll and the Egyptian military likely did not think much of him either, since warnings about protesting did not extend to him. His public support of ousted dictator Mubarak likely did not help.
Hawass has been uncharacteristically quiet - odd for a fellow who has maintained his showmanship, bullying and self-promotion was for the benefit of all Egyptians. Until he talks, enjoy this clip from the rather ridiculous "Chasing Mummies" show, courtesy of the History Channel while I recap my top 5 favorite Hawass quotes:
1. "I will announce some of the tombs I found next to the great pyramid of Khufu. One is an intact tomb that I have not opened yet."
2. "I am damn good. I am doing all this for Egypt and nothing else."
3. "I found in one of the tombs an inscription saying, 'If you touch my tomb, you will be eaten by a crocodile and hippopotamus.' It doesn't mean the hippo will eat you, it means the person really wanted his tomb to be protected."
4. “What’s happening? We’re having a curse here”
5. On Jews and Israel. "For 18 centuries, they were dispersed throughout the world. They went to America and took control of its economy. They have a plan. Although they are few in number, they control the entire world."
- Young Archaeologist Inspiration, Courtesy Of Egyptian Megalomaniac Zahi Hawass
- Zahi Hawass, Egypt's Publicity Hound Antiquities Director, Gets Sacked
- Mummy Of Egyptian Queen Hatshepsut Found
- Talk About Ancient History: Pyramid Over 4000-Years-Old Discovered In Egypt
- DNA Tests To Confirm Queen Hatshepsut Mummy