Science Education & Policy
- EPA Scales Back Its Flawed Ethanol Mandate
Throughout the 1990s, environmentalists insisted that ethanol was the wave of our energy future. Vice-President Al Gore even famously broke a tie in the Senate to allow the Environmental Protection Agency to push its use. ...
Blog Post - Hank Campbell - Aug 20 2021 - 2:20pm
- Gallop: Both Republicans And Democrats Are Wildly Overstating Risks From COVID-19
There is no question that COVID-19 is the worst pandemic of my lifetime. It has led to greater absolute US deaths than the Asian Flu of 1957 and the Spanish Flu of 1918, though obviously we are 2X and 3X the population, respectively, of those pandemics so ...
Article - Hank Campbell - Oct 1 2021 - 10:25am
- Transgender Bathroom Rape Cover Up Or Juvenile Confidentiality in Loudon County. The Kandahar of America's Culture War.
A ccording to the conspiracy theory all the authorities from Loudon County school the prosecutor and the police are so pro transgender that they would cover up a rape. Let me point out a few things that are inconsistent with this. Bear in mind I am not sa ...
Blog Post - Hontas Farmer - Oct 14 2021 - 12:28pm
- Playing Video Games Linked To Positive Learning Effects On Young Children
Video games are a favorite activity of children, yet any affect on their health is often perceived to be negative. A new paper in Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology looked for an association between the amount of time spent playing video games ...
Article - News Staff - Nov 22 2021 - 12:36pm
- Critical Race Theory Can Be Misused, Like Anything Else In Science.
C ritical Race Theory like so much science, even social science, can be used for good or evil. Physics invented the atomic bomb which can destroy the world. Physics invented the nuclear power plant which can generate carbon free energy and help to save th ...
Blog Post - Hontas Farmer - Dec 1 2021 - 10:25am
- CDC Boondoggle: First Career Bureaucrats Didn't Want To Send Coronavirus Tests, Then They Sent Faulty Ones
It is common in a polarized political climate to try and blame the other political party when missteps happen but most government employees are not political appointees, they are career bureaucrats, and sometimes care more about protecting their fiefdoms t ...
Article - Hank Campbell - Dec 17 2021 - 2:13pm
- Supreme Court Finds Biden Can Mandate Vaccines For Federally Funded Hospitals But Not All Businesses
The Supreme Court dealt another blow to federal overreach by the Biden administration but then rightly upheld vaccine mandates if an organization is federally funded. Since the passage of the Affordable Care Act, nearly all hospitals are federally funded. ...
Article - Hank Campbell - Jan 13 2022 - 5:03pm
- Illinois Mask Mandate In Colleges
An Illinois judge has overruled Governor JB Pritzker's mask mandate at least in the case of students who are party to the lawsuit. It was denied being a class action and even admits that the collective bargaining agreements between teachers unions ...
Blog Post - Hontas Farmer - Feb 8 2022 - 4:02pm
- Traditional Media Are In Decline And Journalism Schools Need To Reflect Reality
For more than a century, journalism education prepared young people for the role of full-time professionals employed by sizeable news organisations. But the advertising-based business model that sustained journalism is collapsing because of new technology ...
Article - The Conversation - Feb 28 2022 - 5:32am
- Limiting Purchases Of Firearms By People On Psychiatric Medication May Reduce Suicides
Random violence is obviously a psychological problem. Every mass shooting has a link to psychiatric medication but medicine doesn't cause shootings any more than guns do. Yet we know that together there may be warning signs because number one in firea ...
Article - Hank Campbell - Mar 21 2022 - 5:04pm