China has become increasingly aware that food security is important. Like energy, it is not just a basic need, but a strategic one. To feed over a billion people, they are embracing science internally while exporting all of the "organic" food that they can throw stickers on.
China currently has biofortified lettuce seeds and herbicide-resistant rice and new guidelines will allow genetically engineered foods to do a pilot trial and then apply for approval to go into production. No 18-year baffled approval cycle, like the US has, or perpetual 'needs more study' like Europe uses to block progress.
Food is a strategic resource and China imports most of its seeds from countries like the US, when they want to be more like Russia and extend their sphere of influence without risk. The way to do that is to avoid being like Germany and embrace science inside their own borders.
- Politicization of Science: Germany Scuttled Nuclear And Bet On Solar, Which Made Them Reliant On Russia
- Chinese And Russian Campaigns Won't End Globalization- Science Is Now Part Of The Marketplace
- France Is Exploiting US Waffling On Energy Science
- How Europe Adapted To The Failure Of Alternative Energy
- Russia Has Europe In Such A Panic About Food Prices They're Embracing Genetic Engineering And Modern Pesticides