- Born Capitalist? Even Before First Grade Kids Understand You Get What You Pay For
From a young age, children have a nuanced understanding of how free markets work. A new study in Child Development indicates that children as young as five incorporate market concerns—the idea that what you get is in line with what you give or offer—into t ...
Article - News Staff - Jun 21 2018 - 5:40am
- Why The Young Get More Infections Than Adults- Evolution
It isn't just human adults who regard youth as disease factories, in many species the young are often more susceptible to infection than adults, even after accounting for prior exposure to infection. Evolution has an explanation for that. But like a l ...
Article - News Staff - Jul 20 2018 - 6:00am
- Hurricane-Induced Natural Selection: Surviving Lizards Have Different Toes
The 2017 hurricane season was one of the most expensive in the Atlantic Ocean region. Hurricane Harvey hit in mid-August 2017, followed just a few weeks later by Hurricane Irma and Hurricane Maria in September. Each of these storms had winds in excess of 1 ...
Article - News Staff - Jul 27 2018 - 12:04pm
- Modern Human-Like Gripping Capabilities Existed In Ancestors 500,000 Years Ago
A technique used to produce stone tools that were first found 500,000 years ago is likely to have needed a modern human-like hand, according to new research. The technique is called 'platform preparation'- preparing a striking area on a tool to r ...
Article - News Staff - Aug 20 2018 - 9:00am
- Denisova 11- Girl Had A Neanderthal Mother And Denisovan Father
In the 1800s, critics of evolution insisted there had to be fossil evidence for everything, which neglected the idea that fossilization is already difficult, finding the fossil is even more difficult, and something like an eye will not fossilize at all. Bu ...
Article - News Staff - Aug 23 2018 - 10:38am
- 3 Million Year Old Footprints Suggest Human-Like Walking Evolved Long Before Humans Did
The transition from ape-like shuffling to upright walking (bipedalism) as we do has long fascinated scientists. Why did it happen? When? The second question is a little closer to being solved. An analysis of 3.6 million year old hominin footprints in Tan ...
Article - News Staff - Sep 13 2018 - 6:37am
- Oxygen-Producing Photosynthesis Could Have Been Happening A Billion Years Earlier
Oxygen in the Earth’s atmosphere is necessary for complex forms of life, which use it during aerobic respiration to make energy. The levels of oxygen dramatically rose in the atmosphere around 2.4 billion years ago, and speculation is that is when organism ...
Article - News Staff - Nov 27 2018 - 7:01pm
- A Science Mystery 700 Years In The Making: Origin Of Plant Sperm Uncovered
An ancient genetic mechanism needed for plant fertility is helping to solve a science mystery 700 million years in the making. The researchers discovered how a gene called DUO1 known to control sperm production inside pollen grains of flowering plants, is ...
Article - News Staff - Jan 7 2019 - 6:51pm
- Environmental Antibiotic Resistance Linked To Feces- Evolution Or Sewage Plants?
Fecal pollution can explain a lot of the increase in resistant bacteria where humans live, but not all of it. In some cases resistance genes were common without the presence of “crAssphage”, a bacteriophage common in human feces - environments polluted wit ...
Article - News Staff - Jan 8 2019 - 11:16am
- Using Artificial Intelligence On The Genome Uncovers New Missing Link In Evolution
A recent study using deep learning algorithms and statistical methods discovered the footprint of a new hominid who cross bred with the ancestors of Asiatic individuals tens of thousands of years ago. Modern human DNA computational analysis suggests that t ...
Article - News Staff - Jan 16 2019 - 2:23pm