- The Descent Of Man: How Darwin's Sexual Selection Co-Stars In 'The Handmaid's Tale'
The Handmaid’s Tale is a TV series based on the 1985 novel of the same name by Margaret Atwood that presents a dystopian vision of a male-dominated society known as Gilead. Widespread infertility means that the few fertile women who remain have been ensla ...
Article - The Conversation - Jan 28 2020 - 2:27pm
- The Genetic Link Between Neanderthals And Modern Africans And Europeans Is Stronger Than Ever
Neanderthal DNA sequences are more common in modern Africans than previously known, and different non-African populations have levels of Neanderthal ancestry surprisingly similar to each other, according to a new study in Cell. Researchers arrived at these ...
Article - News Staff - Jan 30 2020 - 4:56pm
- Merge: Did Human Language Evolve Due To A Mutation?
Merge is a controversial belief by some that human language faculty arose in humans through a single gene mutation, rather the evolving gradually. This human burst of genetic exceptionalism is embraced by some linguists, such as Noam Chomsky, but the scien ...
Article - News Staff - Feb 21 2020 - 11:10am
- Elpistostege Fish Fin Fossil And Evolution Of The Human Hand
An ancient Elpistostege fish fossil has revealed how the human hand evolved from fish fins, the missing evolutionary link in the 'fish to tetrapod transition', as fish began to foray in habitats such as shallow water and land during the Late Dev ...
Article - News Staff - Mar 19 2020 - 11:54am
- Disgust Evolved To Protect Us From Disease But With Coronavirus Our Ancient Instincts May Be Wrong
(Inside Science)-- Imagine putting your hand in a pile of poop. It stinks and squishes. What do you do next? Most likely, you'll scrub that hand with plenty of soap-- and you don't need public health officials or a germ theory of disease to tell ...
Article - Inside Science - Apr 7 2020 - 3:29pm
- X And Y And Meiosis: Some Progress In The Sex Chromosomes Science Mystery
In high school biology you learned that in humans, a normal cell contains 23 pairs of chromosomes; 22 autosomes, which are the same in both males and females, while in the 23rd, the sex chromosomes, females have two copies of the X chromosome while males h ...
Article - News Staff - May 29 2020 - 8:24am