Here, dear geek, are three nifty mind widgets to make mates want you and peers want to be you.
Multiply up to 20x20
1. For example, take 17x13
2. Place the larger number on top, in your head
3. Imagine a box, encompassing the 17 and the 3
4. Add these to make 20
5. Add a zero to this, to make it 200
6. Multiply the 7 and the 3 to get 21
7. Add this to 200 to get the answer: 221
Multiply any two-digit number by 11
1. For example, take 79
2. Add a space between the two digits, making 7___9
3. Add 7 and 9 to get 16
4. Put 16 into the space (remember to carry the tens digit!)
5. The answer is 869
Multiply by 9 on your fingers
1. Lay your spread fingers on a table in front of you
2. To multiply by 4, fold down the fourth finger from the left
3. Now read your fingers: there are three to the left of the fold and six to the right—this makes 36.
Join me every Monday morning for more grandtastic goodies from The Geeks' Guide to World Domination. Or if you like your geekery delivered fresh, consider subscribing to my rss feed or joining my Facebook Fan Page.