Genetics & Molecular Biology
- Greatest Lupus Genetic Risk Factor Pathway Revealed
The molecular mechanism that drives the disease-causing effects of the most common genetic risk factor for lupus, HLA-DRB1*03:01, has been revealed in a new study. Systemic lupus erythematosus is a common, incurable autoimmune disease that affects million ...
Article - News Staff - Aug 18 2022 - 6:33am
- Biologic From Reengineered Human Skin Cells As COVID-19 Therapy
Few treatments exist for COVID-19 and the ones that do primarily focus solely on preventing the virus from replicating. A new potential treatment inhibits replication but also protects or repairs tissue, which is important because COVID-19 can cause sympto ...
Article - News Staff - Aug 23 2022 - 9:50am
- Being A Great Drummer May Be Genetic
'Keeping time' is easy for humans, but not all can keep time equally. Some great drummers, and even more guitarists, use a device like a metronome to keep them on a precise beat, while others seem to do it effortlessly. A new study finds human ca ...
Article - News Staff - Sep 19 2022 - 11:40am
- Gene Editing Can Now Be Done Inside The Body
Crispr-Cas9 genome editing is one of ...
Article - Mark Pierce - Oct 18 2022 - 6:06pm
- Zafirlukast: Myristoylglycine Metabolite Research May Pave The Way To Convert White Fat Cells To Brown
A metabolite that converts white fat cells (sometimes called “bad” fat) to brown fat (“good” fat) cells could lead to treatment metabolic conditions like cardiovascular disease plus lifestyle-preventable things like type 2 diabetes. Obesity is best treated ...
Article - News Staff - Oct 19 2022 - 9:52am
- The Genetic Drivers Of Longevity In Mice, Humans And Worms
Since the dawn of civilization, people have searched for the secret to long life. ...
Article - Mark Pierce - Oct 21 2022 - 8:30am
- I Made Smirnoff Vodka Concede Its Non-GMO Label Is Just A Marketing Gimmick
Smirnoff, the vodka brand owned by Diageo of Great Britain, recently undertook an ad campaign starring celebrities Ted Danson and Jenna Fischer touting how they are gluten-free and non-GMO. Wow, healthy vodka. Who knew that was possible? ...
Article - Hank Campbell - Oct 27 2022 - 9:59am
- Syn3: This Synthetic Bacteria Is The Smallest Mobile Lifeform Ever (Artificially) Created
To help try and understand the evolution and origins of cell motility, researchers have created the smallest mobile lifeform ever. Scientists introduced seven proteins, believed to be directly involved in allowing Spiroplasma bacteria to swim into a synth ...
Article - News Staff - Nov 30 2022 - 4:37pm
- Phages: Scientists Create New Natural Weapon Against Bacterial Contamination And Infection
A new process uses harmless viruses that eat bacteria to form microscopic beads that can safely be applied to food and other materials to rid them of harmful pathogens such as E. coli. Though tiny, each bead is about one third the width of human hair, the ...
Article - Hank Campbell - Dec 7 2022 - 9:40am
- Diet And Disease: Trying To Predict Effects Of Nutrients On Cancer Cells
Food is not medicine, anyone claiming it is medicine is selling you something, like a diet plan, but nutrients can impact cancer cells. How that applies consistently is unknown so a new tool hopes to create an exploratory method using mice. Mice don't ...
Article - News Staff - Jan 27 2023 - 9:32am