Science 2.0 was created in 2006 to modernize science communication, publishing, collaboration and public participation. In creating Science 2.0 we set out to accomplish the following:
Create a place where world-class scientists write articles and discuss issues without being filtered by size or editorial limitations, where there are no political or cultural agendas, and the audience can read great science directly from the sources and maybe learn some new things.
Create an infrastructure where actual collaboration can occur using customized tools.
Create an open publishing model. The old model of subscriptions is no longer viable, since government has taken control of academic research - taxpayers have paid for the research so they should be allowed to read it without paying. Open access, where the cost burden is shifted to scientists instead, is a good first step but Science 2.0 embraces a true open publishing model, where readers do not have to pay to read and scientists do not have to pay to publish.
Encourage increased participation in the science endeavor by those outside science. SETI @home, GalaxyZoo, Fold.it and other tools show the public will help if the tools are there.
See The FAQ for more information written by our community moderators.
"Science 2.0"®, "Scientific Blogging"® and "The world's best scientists, the Internet's smartest readers"® are registered trademarks of ION Publications LLC.
Copyright © 2006-2012 ION Publications LLC. All rights reserved.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- The Daily Physics Problem - 1
- Hugh Hefner's Wife Was Not Poisoned By Breast Implants
- Why Has Climate Change Taken So Long?
- Odds of Intelligent life on the TRAPPIST-1 planets : NOT Great.
- Are Think Tanks More Credible To Government Employees? Not Really
- Book News And A Clip
- Neural Networks: Why Human Brains Are More Susceptible To Mental Illness Than Smaller Ones
- "nuclear power industry is also subsidized by the federal gov't...."
- "Please be patient. Despite what the Nibiru fearmongers say, I'm not paid to do this (if only :)..."
- "Dear Tilly,Great, glad to have helped.With the contrails, well one factor surely is that we have..."
- "An electronic version will be published, but the printed matter will come first.Best,T...."
- "Many thanks for spotting this. I contacted the typesetting team and they'll fix this (uniforming..."
- Parasite proteins prompt immune system to fight off ovarian tumors in mice
- Behavioral activation as effective as CBT for depression, at lower cost
- The Lancet: Simpler, cheaper psychological treatment as effective as cognitive behavioural therapy for treating depression
- Ultrasensitive sensor using N-doped graphene
- Brain activity and response to food cues differ in severely obese women, UTSW study shows
- Who Is Stalking You On Facebook? Who Is Your Biggest Fan?
- Who is Stalking you on Facebook? Who is your biggest Fan? (Updated Methods).
- The Daily Physics Problem - 1
- How Much Weight Can You Gain Due To Water Retention?
- Simple Ways To See Nibiru Is Totally Nuts - And Limits On Planets Hiding In Our Solar System