Science 2.0 was created in 2006 to modernize science communication, publishing, collaboration and public participation. In creating Science 2.0 we set out to accomplish the following:
Create a place where world-class scientists write articles and discuss issues without being filtered by size or editorial limitations, where there are no political or cultural agendas, and the audience can read great science directly from the sources and maybe learn some new things.
Create an infrastructure where actual collaboration can occur using customized tools.
Create an open publishing model. The old model of subscriptions is no longer viable, since government has taken control of academic research - taxpayers have paid for the research so they should be allowed to read it without paying. Open access, where the cost burden is shifted to scientists instead, is a good first step but Science 2.0 embraces a true open publishing model, where readers do not have to pay to read and scientists do not have to pay to publish.
Encourage increased participation in the science endeavor by those outside science. SETI @home, GalaxyZoo, Fold.it and other tools show the public will help if the tools are there.
See The FAQ for more information written by our community moderators.
"Science 2.0"®, "Scientific Blogging"® and "The world's best scientists, the Internet's smartest readers"® are registered trademarks of ION Publications LLC.
Copyright © 2006-2012 ION Publications LLC. All rights reserved.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- A Book By Guido Tonelli
- Is Corbyn Right About The Bomb?- Op Ed
- Global Warming Has Made Global Warming Harder To Show
- Petition To Youtube To Halt Ads On Doomsday Videos - They Make The Vulnerable Suicidal
- TSCA Reform Casualties Likely Start with Asbestos
- March Against Monsanto Claims Vaccines Cause Cancer
- Hubble Spots Europa Geysers Again - How They Did It - And What Next? Flyby? Lander?
- "I think uve also got to take into account as well tho mr walker that there is also alot of people..."
- "Another definite equation (a relation between the neutrino reactor angle and the neutrino mass..."
- "Yes, I agree. It's just LOL silly if you have the astronomical background, or a bit like watching..."
- "YouTube is massive for this subject on nibiru its horrible stuff to watch really scares alot of..."
- "No, it doesn't exist, can't exist. The ideas just don't work as a planet in our solar system. Sorry..."
- Chemical weapons are still being used in Iraq but the Obama administration doesn't talk about it
- Why psychology lost its soul - science replaced it
- Jim Crow internet is pushing back against Black Lives Matter
- Ben & Jerry's: Global warming is changing the flavor of ice cream
- Laterality: Finding out about the human mind through stone
- Who Is Stalking You On Facebook? Who Is Your Biggest Fan?
- Who is Stalking you on Facebook? Who is your biggest Fan? (Updated Methods).
- Can A Man Really Get Pregnant? Sure, But It Might Kill Him
- Ten Reasons NOT To Live On Mars - Great Place To Explore
- No, There Isn't A Planet Called Nibiru, Soon To Hit Earth, And Often Visible In Your Photos Of The Sun :)