Russians at the JINR Nuclotron believe they have found a new particle, the E(38), as reported in this paper at ArXiv. The particle interacts with quarks and gluons only and appears in collisions on nucleii. It
decays to two photons, and its width (inverse of decay rate) is less than 3 MeV.
Early papers had claimed evidence of the particle as long ago as 2008, using data from the BaBar experiment, but it had not been widely reported. The new results are confirmation of this analysis, are heavy on the graphs, which clearly show a 38MeV peak in two photon events.
The first paper claims the particle is Higgs like, coupling to quarks in proportion to there mass, but it is two early to confirm that. The new particle is not one expected by the standard model, and doesn't have to good match to a theorectically expected particle.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Bang !! 13 TeV - The Highest Energy Ever Achieved By Mankind ?!
- WISE J224607.57-052635.0, The Most Luminous Galaxy In The Universe
- Blue Buffalo Admits Its Pet Food Contains The Poultry Byproduct It Ridicules In Competitors
- WHO Reports: Obesity Crisis In Europe
- Nuclear Power Isn't Really Zero-emission, But Neither Is Anything Else
- Non-Joulian Magnetostriction May Energize The World
- Tanzania's Disappearing Serengeti
- "Great article and comments! I tend to sound so rough in my comments, I realize it when I read them..."
- "1) Yes! Too easy, also the next three sound plausible. 2) cosmic rays Cosmic Ray-assisted collisions..."
- "I should have read more carefully! 3) per nucleon! Pb has about 200 nucleons, so sqrt(s) goes beyond..."
- "ah yes absolutely right, very clever view on the subject indeed, its for people like you the Nation..."
- "1) N. How could Tommaso know if I read my local paper. 2) N. Chance is minuscule. Never been detected..."
- Mental 'map' and 'compass' are two separate systems
- Head injuries could result in neurodegenerative disease in rugby union players
- Time is muscle in acute heart failure
- American Indian students disproportionately disciplined compared to white students
- What's the best, most effective way to take notes?