Russians at the JINR Nuclotron believe they have found a new particle, the E(38), as reported in this paper at ArXiv. The particle interacts with quarks and gluons only and appears in collisions on nucleii. It
decays to two photons, and its width (inverse of decay rate) is less than 3 MeV.
Early papers had claimed evidence of the particle as long ago as 2008, using data from the BaBar experiment, but it had not been widely reported. The new results are confirmation of this analysis, are heavy on the graphs, which clearly show a 38MeV peak in two photon events.
The first paper claims the particle is Higgs like, coupling to quarks in proportion to there mass, but it is two early to confirm that. The new particle is not one expected by the standard model, and doesn't have to good match to a theorectically expected particle.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Top Secret: On Confidentiality On Scientific Issues, Across The Ring And Across The Bedroom
- The Mystery Of The Red Sea
- Stop Using BMI To Determine Health
- Would New Planet X Clear Its Orbit? - And Any Better Name Than "Planet Nine"?
- The Greenhouse Effect Fallacy
- Intense Work Helped Michelangelo Maintain Use Of Hands Despite Osteoarthritis
- Skyscraper Tall Telescope For Hawaii Mountain - Should Astronomers Build It?
- "Greetings Robert. Thanks again for your thoughts on God. I read your two statements and here are..."
- "Hello Vance,yes I know about that model, and about at least two experimental attempts, one with..."
- "No, I am not from the states. It sounds like an astonishing arrangement to have multiple jurisdiction..."
- "Very true. The observation I've made is that in 2001 it was John F. Nash and Alicia DeLarde ..."
- "The male female difference you think is so basic isn't so simple. Consider this bird. http..."
- BMI is Bologna
- Energy Drinks: The Dose Makes the Poison
- California’s Prop 65: Bad For Public Acceptance Of Science, About To Get Worse
- Wear Red Today! It’s Women’s Heart Health Awareness Day
- Can Marijuana Ease NFL Players’ Pain? Claims Are All Over The Field
- Mid-Life Crisis Clusters Found In 4 US Cities
- Cambridge researcher develops smartphone app to map Swiss-German dialects
- Studies link healthy workforces to positive stock market performance
- Pioneering discovery leads to potential preventive treatment for sudden cardiac death
- Online shopping might not be as green as we thought
- Gene family turns cancer cells into aggressive stem cells that keep growing