Russians at the JINR Nuclotron believe they have found a new particle, the E(38), as reported in this paper at ArXiv. The particle interacts with quarks and gluons only and appears in collisions on nucleii. It
decays to two photons, and its width (inverse of decay rate) is less than 3 MeV.
Early papers had claimed evidence of the particle as long ago as 2008, using data from the BaBar experiment, but it had not been widely reported. The new results are confirmation of this analysis, are heavy on the graphs, which clearly show a 38MeV peak in two photon events.
The first paper claims the particle is Higgs like, coupling to quarks in proportion to there mass, but it is two early to confirm that. The new particle is not one expected by the standard model, and doesn't have to good match to a theorectically expected particle.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Lexus Hoverboard Gets Off The Ground
- EWG's Little Site Of Horrors
- What May Be Missing From Quantum Computing - A Quantum Middle Man
- New Mars Colony Mission Crowdfunds its Way to the Red Planet
- Predictive Coding Theory: How Our Brains Recognize Faces From Minimal Information
- Gene Therapy For Cystic Fibrosis Shows Beneficial Effect On Lung Function
- "(Maybe) an interesting article - from 1980.De Luise M., Blackburn G.L., Flier J. S.: Reduced activity..."
- "I was just guessing. Wouldn't be at all surprised if you were right. You just have to wonder what..."
- "That stays on course with the humor theme, because homeopaths have never had a citation...."
- "the authors refer to an out of date vision of memristor. The general theory of first, second, third..."
- "You may have gone the wrong way on this one. I think nemo was only making an amusing observation..."
- $4,200 and up: Millions of children's lives saved through government programs
- First trial of gene therapy for cystic fibrosis shows beneficial effect on lung function
- We're not alone, mathematically, but the universe may be less crowded than we think
- Income taxes give a more accurate picture of the value of a college degree
- Human antibody blocks dengue virus in mice