Russians at the JINR Nuclotron believe they have found a new particle, the E(38), as reported in this paper at ArXiv. The particle interacts with quarks and gluons only and appears in collisions on nucleii. It
decays to two photons, and its width (inverse of decay rate) is less than 3 MeV.
Early papers had claimed evidence of the particle as long ago as 2008, using data from the BaBar experiment, but it had not been widely reported. The new results are confirmation of this analysis, are heavy on the graphs, which clearly show a 38MeV peak in two photon events.
The first paper claims the particle is Higgs like, coupling to quarks in proportion to there mass, but it is two early to confirm that. The new particle is not one expected by the standard model, and doesn't have to good match to a theorectically expected particle.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Why Do Spacecraft Like ESA's Schiaperelli Crash On Mars So Easily?
- BPA-Free, With Regrets
- New President - Pivot To Moon On Way To Mars? Lunar Spelunking & Science Surprises
- A Dimuon Particle At 30 GeV In ALEPH ??
- Biofuels Are A Climate Mistake
- President Obama, Why Humans On Mars Right Now Are Bad For Science
- Who Is Trying To Destroy The Internet?
- "For years I've been telling a friend of mine who is diabetic to stop drinking diet soda. He starts..."
- "Instead of the original article - the comments of Chandra Kant Raju are here..."
- "Good points indeed. But I think what the ESA did this time is unusual, so unusual, I don't think..."
- "I agree with most of what you say, but I don't think it's accurate to say that there isn't a statistically..."
- "Oh, you mean things like this?Sunset photo by Tom Hall.That's just the thing I explained above..."
- Necrotizing Fasciitis: A Profound Mystery in Medical Microbiology
- Early Math Classes Biased Against Girls, Affecting Career Choices, Study Finds
- Sucralose Study Ripe for Scare-Mongering
- Is Modern Feminism Incompatible with Science?
- When All Else Fails, Bribing Kids to Eat Better
- Kathleen Gyllenhaal: 'IN UTERO' in Hollywood Q&A