Of all the available publications on 'Aircraft Nose Art', very few have investigated its psychological undercurrents.
An exception is ‘Aircraft Nose Art: From World War I to Today’ (1991). Chapter 1 of which was authored by the late George R. Klare, who was Distinguished Professor of Psychology at Ohio University.
In his essay ‘Why Nose Art, a psychologist’s view’, the professor pointed out that “…psychologists regularly stick their nose into various aspects of human behavior, so why not into nose art?“ In the course of his research he reviewed well over a thousand aircraft-based artworks – finding that 55% of them portrayed female figures – of which 25% were completely naked.
But what of the underlying nose-art psychology?
“The picture does not seem all that clear.” wrote the professor – possibly questioning some observers’ pre-conceptions regarding possible hormonally-fuelled longings. For not all the ladies were painted as nudes. Some were merely scantily clothed. And “…at least some of the females celebrated were mothers (Enola Gay for example).”
Nevertheless, revealingly perhaps, it was discovered that as a general rule “Nose art got more daring with greater distance from high headquarters …” and so a combat bomber’s nose art “… would occasionally need certain strategic items of apparel added when the airplane returned stateside…”
Substantial extracts of the book can be read here.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- HIP 116454b Shows That Despite Malfunction, Kepler Can Still Find Planets
- Why I’ll Talk Policy With Climate Change Deniers But Not Science
- The Evolution Of Trichromatic Color Vision In Humans
- The Origin Of Theta Auroras Revealed
- There Was No 'Paleo Diet' - Ancient People Ate What They Had
- Cellular Hydrogen Peroxide - A New Twist On The Free Radical Antioxidant Relationship
- Is Big Data Taking Over The Fashion Industry?
- "Judging by the last image - Micrograph from Foldscope - that gadget is very impressive, as is the..."
- "Die Folkband Singt das Lied traditionell O Weihnachtsstern , O Weihnachtsstern !Dein Blätter sind..."
- "You spend a great deal of time on the ideological motivations of climate change deniers, but mistakenly..."
- "Or we can blame my mother. It was to be their senior trip in 1959 but Castro and Che Guevara got..."
- "Solution aversion is very real. Talking about solutions which the climate skeptics could live with..."
- Quantum physics just got less complicated
- OCD patients' brains light up to reveal how compulsive habits develop
- Tooth loss linked to slowing mind and body
- Latest evidence on using hormone replacement therapy for treating menopausal symptoms
- Less than half of UK prescriptions for antipsychotics issued for main licensed conditions