Of all the available publications on 'Aircraft Nose Art', very few have investigated its psychological undercurrents.
An exception is ‘Aircraft Nose Art: From World War I to Today’ (1991). Chapter 1 of which was authored by the late George R. Klare, who was Distinguished Professor of Psychology at Ohio University.
In his essay ‘Why Nose Art, a psychologist’s view’, the professor pointed out that “…psychologists regularly stick their nose into various aspects of human behavior, so why not into nose art?“ In the course of his research he reviewed well over a thousand aircraft-based artworks – finding that 55% of them portrayed female figures – of which 25% were completely naked.
But what of the underlying nose-art psychology?
“The picture does not seem all that clear.” wrote the professor – possibly questioning some observers’ pre-conceptions regarding possible hormonally-fuelled longings. For not all the ladies were painted as nudes. Some were merely scantily clothed. And “…at least some of the females celebrated were mothers (Enola Gay for example).”
Nevertheless, revealingly perhaps, it was discovered that as a general rule “Nose art got more daring with greater distance from high headquarters …” and so a combat bomber’s nose art “… would occasionally need certain strategic items of apparel added when the airplane returned stateside…”
Substantial extracts of the book can be read here.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- BPA-Free, With Regrets
- A Dimuon Particle At 30 GeV In ALEPH ??
- New President - Pivot To Moon On Way To Mars? Lunar Spelunking & Science Surprises
- Biofuels Are A Climate Mistake
- Debunking: A President Of The US Could Order A Nuclear Attack At A Moments Notice On A Whim
- Who Is Trying To Destroy The Internet?
- An Astronaut Gardener On The Moon - Summits Of Sunlight And Vast Lunar Caves In Low Gravity
- "Nothing new here...."
- "Tellingly it's been removed from it's original source. ..."
- "Unlike men, women don't seem to be able to do much without support. As for the equality gap, that's..."
- "Hi Dan!Thanks, glad you like it. I'm in the UK so I know what you mean about tensions between the..."
- "Oh if it was real, astronomers would have been tracking it for several decades. It would have been..."
- Is Modern Feminism Incompatible with Science?
- When All Else Fails, Bribing Kids to Eat Better
- Kathleen Gyllenhaal: 'IN UTERO' in Hollywood Q&A
- Herpes Vaccine Update: Dr. Halford Answers 'the Big Question'
- The media is not helping in the battle against SIDS
- Busted Breast Cancer Myths