One month to go before the Physics Department closes! And I have the job of classifying and disposing of unwanted and waste chemicals. This year, when “everything must go”, this is proving a mammoth task.
How did I get this job? Being the only practicing chemist in the department, in effect I am Snape, the Potions Master. This in not only because of my academic training, but my work has taught me what chemical can go with which without creating an explosion (for example, NOT acetone and chloroform!)
Mostly this job involves putting the appropriate hazard label on bottles or jar and relocating them to the outside store for collection by the chosen waste disposal company. But there are some examples where one can make things simpler.
Fuming nitric acid, for example. Now one does NOT want to put this in the outside store, where its vapours will slowly eat away the labels on the surrounding bottles. However, if one pours it gently into a bucket full of water with some caustic soda at the bottom, as below
one is left with a solution of sodium nitrate, which is a fertilizer, and the whole can be diluted with a copious amount of water and flushed down the sink.
Notice the brown fumes of nitrogen dioxide coming out of the bucket. Not something one wants in high concentrations or in large amounts where it becomes a pollutant. But it is also produced by lightning, where it enters the nitrogen cycle by forming nitrate, a food for plants. Much better, in my opinion, to manage things this way than to leave such a hazardous chemical for unskilled workers to collect.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- No, Earth's Magnetic Field Is Not About To Flip
- Our Ethical Responsibilities To Baby Terraformed Worlds - Like Parents
- Supersymmetry Is About To Be Discovered, Kane Says
- Anomaly! - A Different Particle Physics Book
- Like Human Civilization? Thank Our Evil Side
- At The Edge Of Vision: Struggling To Make Sense Of Our Cluttered World
- Patient Deaths Do Not Increase During Doctor Strikes
- "Yes if you've been scared for some time, it has an effect on your body. You have to kind of reassure..."
- "Yes, it's fun isn't it :). Do you have a pair of binoculars? Don't have to be powerful - seven..."
- "so rest assured there is no nibiru and ive got nothing to worry about because I don't want to feel..."
- "wow cant belive ive seen venus and Jupiter they were bright like a yellowish colour one did look..."
- "Let us use some logic. Many of us will remember the scene near the beginning of Jurassic Park..."