One month to go before the Physics Department closes! And I have the job of classifying and disposing of unwanted and waste chemicals. This year, when “everything must go”, this is proving a mammoth task.
How did I get this job? Being the only practicing chemist in the department, in effect I am Snape, the Potions Master. This in not only because of my academic training, but my work has taught me what chemical can go with which without creating an explosion (for example, NOT acetone and chloroform!)
Mostly this job involves putting the appropriate hazard label on bottles or jar and relocating them to the outside store for collection by the chosen waste disposal company. But there are some examples where one can make things simpler.
Fuming nitric acid, for example. Now one does NOT want to put this in the outside store, where its vapours will slowly eat away the labels on the surrounding bottles. However, if one pours it gently into a bucket full of water with some caustic soda at the bottom, as below
one is left with a solution of sodium nitrate, which is a fertilizer, and the whole can be diluted with a copious amount of water and flushed down the sink.
Notice the brown fumes of nitrogen dioxide coming out of the bucket. Not something one wants in high concentrations or in large amounts where it becomes a pollutant. But it is also produced by lightning, where it enters the nitrogen cycle by forming nitrate, a food for plants. Much better, in my opinion, to manage things this way than to leave such a hazardous chemical for unskilled workers to collect.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- A Dimuon Particle At 30 GeV In ALEPH ??
- Journalists Be Aware - Your Unverified "Doomsday" News Terrifies Children And Vulnerable People
- President Obama, Why Humans On Mars Right Now Are Bad For Science
- DDoS war: How zombie fridges bit the internet in the ass today.
- Biofuels Are A Climate Mistake
- EPA Again Delays Report On Safety Of Glyphosate
- Plastic: There's Value In Marine Waste
- "NIBIRU HERE NIBIRU THERE NIBIRU BEING SPOTTED EVERYWHERE now tell me im wrong in fact i will go..."
- "Ok so what about the JESSE VENTURE person you ever heard of him like i said its called conspiracy..."
- "Hallelujah, HEP is saved!..."
- "Yes, some of them Nancy Lieder doesn't have a clue about astronomy, she claims the most absurd..."
- "Any of these names mean anything to you Zechariah stitchin,nancy lieder,gill boussard,steve olsen..."
- Placebo: Bubbles Of Nothing Are Still Not Something
- People Who Take Drugs May Be Likelier to Commit Suicide
- Improved 'Screen Time' Guidelines Could Make Parents & Kids Happier
- Dr. Jamie Wells Named One Of America's Top Pediatricians
- Why Did EPA Delay Its Glyphosate Safety Report?
- Scientists Should Fight Postmodern Public Values