One month to go before the Physics Department closes! And I have the job of classifying and disposing of unwanted and waste chemicals. This year, when “everything must go”, this is proving a mammoth task.
How did I get this job? Being the only practicing chemist in the department, in effect I am Snape, the Potions Master. This in not only because of my academic training, but my work has taught me what chemical can go with which without creating an explosion (for example, NOT acetone and chloroform!)
Mostly this job involves putting the appropriate hazard label on bottles or jar and relocating them to the outside store for collection by the chosen waste disposal company. But there are some examples where one can make things simpler.
Fuming nitric acid, for example. Now one does NOT want to put this in the outside store, where its vapours will slowly eat away the labels on the surrounding bottles. However, if one pours it gently into a bucket full of water with some caustic soda at the bottom, as below
one is left with a solution of sodium nitrate, which is a fertilizer, and the whole can be diluted with a copious amount of water and flushed down the sink.
Notice the brown fumes of nitrogen dioxide coming out of the bucket. Not something one wants in high concentrations or in large amounts where it becomes a pollutant. But it is also produced by lightning, where it enters the nitrogen cycle by forming nitrate, a food for plants. Much better, in my opinion, to manage things this way than to leave such a hazardous chemical for unskilled workers to collect.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Supertranslations And Eternal Ghosts: Black Holes No Closer To Being Understood
- Bel's Temple in Palmyra Is No More
- Highlights From ICNFP 2015
- If Happy Meal Law Passes, NYC Kids Will Frown
- Blade Runner: The Science In The Fiction
- Innate GMO Potato Deregulated By USDA
- Is Smokeless Tobacco More Harmful Than Believed?
- "When you account for the following factors, such discrepancies disappear:-Men are more aggressive..."
- "The wavelength of the exiting radiation from the iguana asymptotically becomes zero, so I can't..."
- "The other thing that is weirdly suspicious is the picture mocking Hilarry Putnam. Now, the brains..."
- "My question is, exactly what was in this paper? He complains about the paper being rejected and..."
- "I wouldn't take it too hard buddy. Suppose they did publish it- then what, 20 more people might..."
- “Shock Therapy” – Not a Cuckoo’s Nest, a Valid Depression Rx
- Innate: Simplot genetically engineered potato gets USDA nod for deregulation
- Sorry, AIDS Deniers, It’s Only a Headline
- Mission Not Yet Accomplished on Vaccines
- Cigarettes, Now With An Organic Health Halo
- Bee Wary of Tales of the ‘Beepocalypse’
- Study reveals human body has gone through four stages of evolution
- Estimate claims plastic in 99 percent of seabirds by 2050 - but accuracy of the baseline is unknown
- Pollution and weather influence heart attack outcomes?
- Fish oil diet versus gut microbes
- Naps linked to reduced blood pressure and fewer medications