One month to go before the Physics Department closes! And I have the job of classifying and disposing of unwanted and waste chemicals. This year, when “everything must go”, this is proving a mammoth task.
How did I get this job? Being the only practicing chemist in the department, in effect I am Snape, the Potions Master. This in not only because of my academic training, but my work has taught me what chemical can go with which without creating an explosion (for example, NOT acetone and chloroform!)
Mostly this job involves putting the appropriate hazard label on bottles or jar and relocating them to the outside store for collection by the chosen waste disposal company. But there are some examples where one can make things simpler.
Fuming nitric acid, for example. Now one does NOT want to put this in the outside store, where its vapours will slowly eat away the labels on the surrounding bottles. However, if one pours it gently into a bucket full of water with some caustic soda at the bottom, as below
one is left with a solution of sodium nitrate, which is a fertilizer, and the whole can be diluted with a copious amount of water and flushed down the sink.
Notice the brown fumes of nitrogen dioxide coming out of the bucket. Not something one wants in high concentrations or in large amounts where it becomes a pollutant. But it is also produced by lightning, where it enters the nitrogen cycle by forming nitrate, a food for plants. Much better, in my opinion, to manage things this way than to leave such a hazardous chemical for unskilled workers to collect.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- What Does Your Gut Microbiome Have To Do With Your Immune System?
- What Antidepressants Do To Healthy People
- Do Anesthetics Have Long-Term Impact On Child Brains?
- Rats Know How To Repay Kindness
- Buy New Textbooks Again? Pluto May Go Back To Planet Status
- CRISPR: Bacterial Viral Defense Targets Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy
- Not Just Vitamin D - The Radiation In Sunshine May Be Healthy
- "I was particularly taken with the Venera missions, sending probes into such a hostile environment..."
- "Maybe the Russian Revolution isn't such a good example. The Bolsheviks had something even more..."
- "As to self-incrimination, people cannot invoke the Fifth Amendment now to withhold certain purely..."
- "Face it, news in America took a death blow with the 2002-2003 war media love fest, The layman can't..."
- "Some interesting research out of Sweden noted that the composition of the microbiome greatly affects..."