One month to go before the Physics Department closes! And I have the job of classifying and disposing of unwanted and waste chemicals. This year, when “everything must go”, this is proving a mammoth task.
How did I get this job? Being the only practicing chemist in the department, in effect I am Snape, the Potions Master. This in not only because of my academic training, but my work has taught me what chemical can go with which without creating an explosion (for example, NOT acetone and chloroform!)
Mostly this job involves putting the appropriate hazard label on bottles or jar and relocating them to the outside store for collection by the chosen waste disposal company. But there are some examples where one can make things simpler.
Fuming nitric acid, for example. Now one does NOT want to put this in the outside store, where its vapours will slowly eat away the labels on the surrounding bottles. However, if one pours it gently into a bucket full of water with some caustic soda at the bottom, as below
one is left with a solution of sodium nitrate, which is a fertilizer, and the whole can be diluted with a copious amount of water and flushed down the sink.
Notice the brown fumes of nitrogen dioxide coming out of the bucket. Not something one wants in high concentrations or in large amounts where it becomes a pollutant. But it is also produced by lightning, where it enters the nitrogen cycle by forming nitrate, a food for plants. Much better, in my opinion, to manage things this way than to leave such a hazardous chemical for unskilled workers to collect.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Sweet Irony: The Environmental Impacts Of GMO Sugar Science Denial
- Evidence Of Link Between Childhood Cancer And Phototherapy For Jaundice Examined
- When It Comes To Replicating Psychology Studies, Good Luck
- Sexual Harassment in Science What Have We Learned (OP ED)
- How Does Obesity Cause Disease In Organs Distant From Those Where Fat Accumulates?
- Networking Lets Sharks Off The Hook
- Hacking Memory To Follow Through With Intentions
- "This is pure, unmitigated nonsense. ..."
- "No, I am not saying a lack of belief will result in research showing something does not work. There..."
- "I think the text is quite easy to comprehend considering the difficulty of the subject matter...."
- "If you find a food without chemicals, please let the world know. You will get the biggest Nobel..."
- "Hi Tommaso, I think that the explanation can be understood with a bit of effort. However I am pretty..."
- When it comes to replicating studies, context matters, an analysis of reproducibility pro
- Squids on the rise as oceans change
- Loss of Y chromosome in blood is associated with developing Alzheimer's disease
- New disease gene will lead to better screening for pediatric heart disease
- Enhanced arginine metabolism may counteract inflammation pathways in asthma