Today, trepanation, or drilling a hole in the head, is commonly used to release the pressure of swelling inside the skull.
Throughout history, it's been used to treat epilepsy, migraines, mood disorders and pretty much any other head condition that seemed to surgeons of the time as if it could be improved by seeing the light of day. But even more interesting than holding someone down and punching a hole through his/her skull is doing it yourself.
In the autobiographical book Bore Hole, Joey Mellen describes his attempts at self-trepanation. Attempts numbers one and two are unsuccessful, resulting in hospital visits and psychiatric evaluations, but no hole.
He writes the following of his third attempt: "After some time there was an ominous sounding schlurp and the sound of bubbling. I drew the trepan out and the gurgling continued. It sounded like air bubbles running under the skull as they were pressed out. I looked at the trepan and there was a bit of bone in it. At last!"
Later, Mellen filmed the self-trepanation of his girlfriend, Amanda Feilding, for a film they called Heartbeat in the Brain.
Note: While it certainly sounds fun, most doctors recommend against self-trepanation.
You know you want it. You want it. You got to, got to have it. It's Brain Candy: Science, Paradoxes, Puzzles, Logic and Illogic to Nourish Your Neurons! And it's hot off the presses as of August 3rd.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Gravitational Waves? Watch the LIGO press conference at 10:30 Eastern.
- Giddings: The 750 GeV Diphoton Resonance Is A Graviton
- LIGO, Gravitational Waves, And Laser Interferometry
- The Greenhouse Effect Fallacy
- Why Smiles (and Frowns) Are Contagious
- Skyscraper Tall Telescope For Hawaii Mountain - Should Astronomers Build It?
- Neil DeGrasse Tyson Accused of Rape: #astroSH Was Mainly Silent.
- "What rules out dipole gravitational radiation is the energy loss rate from binary pulsars. General..."
- "Nothing I said contains a misconception. R_uv=0 describes the simulations. If you are claiming..."
- "Your comment was pre-news conference. This one is post. I glanced at the abstract, and they claimed..."
- "A common misconception. Just because a solution is a vaccum solution that does not mean that the..."
- "Gravity waves are a vacuum solution to Einstein's equations, as are black holes. So unlike what..."
- Cotton Candy Cure for Future of Organ Transplants
- Walgreens ‘Selling to Heroin Users’? Yes, to Save Their Lives
- Age-Specific Dementia Rates Falling, While New Cases Rise
- Resistance to AIDS Meds in Africa Threatens 35 Years of Progress
- Science Acceptance: The Urban-Rural Divide
- Frying Foods in Olive Oil May Provide Health Benefits
- Asthma linked to an increased time to pregnancy
- New study confirms different generics have equal efficacy when treating epilepsy
- JAMA Oncology: An expert opinion on how to address the skyrocketing prices of cancer drugs
- LIGO, including the MSU scientists, announced a record of gravitational waves
- Renovating spaces and preserving places with lasers