Today, trepanation, or drilling a hole in the head, is commonly used to release the pressure of swelling inside the skull.
Throughout history, it's been used to treat epilepsy, migraines, mood disorders and pretty much any other head condition that seemed to surgeons of the time as if it could be improved by seeing the light of day. But even more interesting than holding someone down and punching a hole through his/her skull is doing it yourself.
In the autobiographical book Bore Hole, Joey Mellen describes his attempts at self-trepanation. Attempts numbers one and two are unsuccessful, resulting in hospital visits and psychiatric evaluations, but no hole.
He writes the following of his third attempt: "After some time there was an ominous sounding schlurp and the sound of bubbling. I drew the trepan out and the gurgling continued. It sounded like air bubbles running under the skull as they were pressed out. I looked at the trepan and there was a bit of bone in it. At last!"
Later, Mellen filmed the self-trepanation of his girlfriend, Amanda Feilding, for a film they called Heartbeat in the Brain.
Note: While it certainly sounds fun, most doctors recommend against self-trepanation.
You know you want it. You want it. You got to, got to have it. It's Brain Candy: Science, Paradoxes, Puzzles, Logic and Illogic to Nourish Your Neurons! And it's hot off the presses as of August 3rd.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Why An Extra Planet Can't Be Hidden Behind The Sun Or Above The South Pole
- My Applied National Security Paper. Being President Isn't For Idiots.
- Why Has Organic Farming Flatlined?
- Hugh Hefner's Wife Was Not Poisoned By Breast Implants
- Top Scientists Chastise Greenpeace
- SYRINA: A Trojan Horse For Endocrine Disrupting Chemicals?
- The Daily Physics Problem - 5
- "Zoran:I didn't say I can't see any bearing. Instead, I unequivocally said Nothing you have written..."
- "Sorry for perhaps being not clear again: I always revise stuff if I find out that I have written..."
- "Essentially you are saying Mark these Nobel Laureates are wrong and you are right. This is commendable..."
- "So what was the precipitating event which caused your re-evaluation?..."
- "I try this one... I am a bit rusty, so my solution can be dramatically wrong. Given that B is uniform..."
- Happy World Hepatitis Day!
- Ovarian Cancer – Redux
- New York Is Second In Health Care Premiums, Last In Hospital Quality
- USPSTF Advisory on Skin Cancer Screening Provokes Concerns from Docs
- Cancer As Modern Lifestyle Disease? Only If There Was Processed Food 2 Million Years Ago
- Was Dr. Oz Selling Endocrine Disruptors?