Today, trepanation, or drilling a hole in the head, is commonly used to release the pressure of swelling inside the skull.
Throughout history, it's been used to treat epilepsy, migraines, mood disorders and pretty much any other head condition that seemed to surgeons of the time as if it could be improved by seeing the light of day. But even more interesting than holding someone down and punching a hole through his/her skull is doing it yourself.
In the autobiographical book Bore Hole, Joey Mellen describes his attempts at self-trepanation. Attempts numbers one and two are unsuccessful, resulting in hospital visits and psychiatric evaluations, but no hole.
He writes the following of his third attempt: "After some time there was an ominous sounding schlurp and the sound of bubbling. I drew the trepan out and the gurgling continued. It sounded like air bubbles running under the skull as they were pressed out. I looked at the trepan and there was a bit of bone in it. At last!"
Later, Mellen filmed the self-trepanation of his girlfriend, Amanda Feilding, for a film they called Heartbeat in the Brain.
Note: While it certainly sounds fun, most doctors recommend against self-trepanation.
You know you want it. You want it. You got to, got to have it. It's Brain Candy: Science, Paradoxes, Puzzles, Logic and Illogic to Nourish Your Neurons! And it's hot off the presses as of August 3rd.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Storytelling Deconstructed: Vonnegut Was Right About Just Six Emotional Story Lines, Says Big Data
- The Five Stages Of A Dying Theory
- Bioartificial Kidney On The Horizon
- Lisa Long Leg Love The Science Comic For The Trump Age
- Time, Wittgenstein And Language Scaffolding
- Starting Thanksgiving, 80 Percent Of You Will Regret Your Holiday Food Choices
- When Salt Is An Endocrine Disruptor, The Term Is Officially Meaningless
- "Yes for sure. If you need support then there are several facebook groups where you can meet other..."
- "Hi F,okay, I see your point of view. Yes, there are many feelings at play when one joins the bandwagon..."
- "Hi, I somehow disagree with your view of theorists: it was not belief or disbelief in the potential..."
- "Your really really positive and sure that nothing is going to happen please Mr walker i am actually..."
- "It was the same last Christmas. That was the first time I heard about all this but I expect it..."
- Annoying Studies’ Series: Newborn Weight Gain (Again!)
- Five PM? Time for Breakfast!
- Include Aerobic Fitness in Physical Exams, Heart Association Recommends
- Female Vervet Monkeys Assault Males that Do Not Participate in Fights
- Vaginal Ring Effective for HIV Infection Prevention
- Winter is No Wonderland