Today, trepanation, or drilling a hole in the head, is commonly used to release the pressure of swelling inside the skull.
Throughout history, it's been used to treat epilepsy, migraines, mood disorders and pretty much any other head condition that seemed to surgeons of the time as if it could be improved by seeing the light of day. But even more interesting than holding someone down and punching a hole through his/her skull is doing it yourself.
In the autobiographical book Bore Hole, Joey Mellen describes his attempts at self-trepanation. Attempts numbers one and two are unsuccessful, resulting in hospital visits and psychiatric evaluations, but no hole.
He writes the following of his third attempt: "After some time there was an ominous sounding schlurp and the sound of bubbling. I drew the trepan out and the gurgling continued. It sounded like air bubbles running under the skull as they were pressed out. I looked at the trepan and there was a bit of bone in it. At last!"
Later, Mellen filmed the self-trepanation of his girlfriend, Amanda Feilding, for a film they called Heartbeat in the Brain.
Note: While it certainly sounds fun, most doctors recommend against self-trepanation.
You know you want it. You want it. You got to, got to have it. It's Brain Candy: Science, Paradoxes, Puzzles, Logic and Illogic to Nourish Your Neurons! And it's hot off the presses as of August 3rd.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Hydrolyzed Fish Fertilizer - Nitrogen Source, Still Meets Organic Definition
- Intellectually Gifted Kids And Learning Disabilities Often Go Hand In Hand
- Another One Bites The Dust - WW Cross Section Gets Back Where It Belongs
- Why It Took Big Humans To Populate Europe
- Drinking Raw Milk Dramatically Increases Risk For Foodborne Illness, Analysis Finds
- Doomsday Dashboard Makes Tracking The Apocalypse Convenient
- Skynet is not why Musk and Gates fear AI - Not everyone in social media is human.
- "Who are we kidding? The mass ed model is not set up for 2E. The growing homeschool movement with..."
- "Terrence- I just don't get curling. The guys with the brooms look like lunatics. And you..."
- "Mr Bloom Yes you have made your Point. Have you ever watched curling? As an active sport, point..."
- "Terence- Thanks for your comments. Although I am pretty good at spotting quacks, I cannot say the..."
- "Greetings Mr Bloom Thank you for your work. I currently reside in Boise Idaho. Looking at the Pewforum..."