Dragonflies, from the order Odonata, have been around for over 250 million years. The most conspicuous difference in their evolution over time is the steady shrinking of their wingspan from well over two and a half feet down to a few inches. Voracious predators, today they dine on bees, wasps, butterflies and avoid the attentions of birds and wee lizards -- but back in the day, they had a much larger selection of meals within their grasp. Small lizards and birds who today choose dragonflies as a tasty snack used to be their preferred prey.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Married Couples Who Smoke Pot Have Fewer Domestic Violence Incidents
- Holographic Noise Speculation: Maybe You Are A 2-D Hologram
- The Quote Of The Week - Neutrino Mass Hierarchy and Matter Effects
- Type 1 And 2 Diabetes Caused By Same Amylin Hormone Mechanism
- Sending Humans To Mars A Principle Of Space Exploration, Says Former NASA Director
- Resilience Management: What The Bubonic Plague Can Teach Us About Ebola
- Wave-Particle Duality Principle Remains Safe And Sound
- "Absolute nonsense. China has a huge program of coal fire capacity and growth in absolute terms..."
- "Do I detect a slight hint of sarcasm in your introduction? http://habrastorage.org/getpro/habr/comment_images/f96/da5/720/f96da5720fbc64570d1e65584ac064d7..."
- " I just love this site for it's never ending source of amusement (and the occasional brilliant..."
- "Why is it that whenever quantum theorists discuss the double slit experiment, using either photons..."
- "Thanks for the kind words. : )..."
- Baicalin suppresses iron accumulation after substantia nigra injury
- Factors predicting functional recovery of the upper limb after peripheral nerve injuries
- Gifts that generate gratitude keep customers loyal
- Piglet weaning age no bar to litter frequency
- Measurement at Big Bang conditions confirms lithium problem