The most recent issue of Evolution: Education and Outreach is now available free online. This is a special issue devoted to the evolution of eyes. You may recognize some of the names in the table of contents, as several of these authors are also bloggers. Enjoy.
Evolution: Education and Outreach
Volume 1 Issue 4
The evolution of eyes
Edited by T. Ryan Gregory
351. Editorial by Gregory Eldredge and Niles Eldredge (PDF)
352-354. Introduction by T. Ryan Gregory (PDF)
355-357. Casting an Eye on Complexity by Niles Eldredge (PDF)
Original science / evolution reviews
358-389. The Evolution of Complex Organs by T. Ryan Gregory (PDF)
390-402. Opening the "Black Box": The Genetic and Biochemical Basis of Eye Evolution by Todd H. Oakley and M. Sabrina Pankey (PDF)
(Blog: Evolutionary Novelties)
403-414. A Genetic Perspective on Eye Evolution: Gene Sharing, Convergence and Parallelism by Joram Piatigorsky (PDF)
415-426. The Origin of the Vertebrate Eye by Trevor D. Lamb, Edward N. Pugh, Jr., and Shaun P. Collin (PDF)
427-438. Early Evolution of the Vertebrate Eye--Fossil Evidence by Gavin C. Young (PDF)
439-447. Charting Evolution’s Trajectory: Using Molluscan Eye Diversity to Understand Parallel and Convergent Evolution by Jeanne M. Serb and Douglas J. Eernisse (PDF)
448-462. Evolution of Insect Eyes: Tales of Ancient Heritage, Deconstruction, Reconstruction, Remodeling, and Recycling by Elke Buschbeck and Markus Friedrich (PDF)
463-475. Exceptional Variation on a Common Theme: The Evolution of Crustacean Compound Eyes by Thomas W. Cronin and Megan L. Porter (PDF)
476-486. The Causes and Consequences of Color Vision by Ellen J. Gerl and Molly R. Morris (PDF)
487-492. The Evolution of Extraordinary Eyes: The Cases of Flatfishes and Stalk-eyed Flies by Carl Zimmer (PDF)
(Blog: The Loom)
493-497. Suboptimal Optics: Vision Problems as Scars of Evolutionary History by Steven Novella (PDF)
498-504. Bringing Homologies Into Focus by Anastasia Thanukos (PDF)
(Website: Understanding Evolution)
505-508. Misconceptions About the Evolution of Complexity by Andrew J. Petto and Louise S. Mead (PDF)
509-516. Losing Sight of Regressive Evolution by Monika Espinasa and Luis Espinasa (PDF)
548-551. Jay Hosler, An Evolutionary Novelty: Optical Allusions by Todd H. Oakley (PDF)
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Super Collider Finds Evidence We Are Not Alone In The Universe
- FMRI Study Finds That Mindfulness More Effective Than Scientology At Clearing Thetans
- New Plant Detects GMOs
- BPA Will Kill The World - Homeopathically
- Instead of an April's Fool
- Kardashian Lumbar Curvature Index - An Evolutionary Hypothesis
- Scientific Research Helps Create First Ice Casino Blueprints
- "Perhaps, but plenty of stories citing police and FBI now state they likely made a wrong turn.  ..."
- "Professor Anthony Ray = the given name of Sir Mix-A-LotMack University = Mack Daddy was the name..."
- "I've said it before but anyway.... The discovery of super symmetry might be great for experimental..."
- "All rational thinkers know that debunking irony only makes it stronger...."
- "You pasted a sweeping, non-evidence-based generalization to promote disbelief of a previous sweeping..."
- South by Southwest - the case of the missing Latinos
- Simpler antibiotic treatments could help millions of infants who lack access to hospitals
- Blood test trumps standard screening in detecting Down syndrome early in pregnancy
- Causalation paper: Each hour of TV daily increases risk of diabetes by 3.4 percent
- Obamacare harbinger: Massachusetts health reform didn't reduce preventable hospitalizations or racial disparity