The most recent issue of Evolution: Education and Outreach is now available free online. This is a special issue devoted to the evolution of eyes. You may recognize some of the names in the table of contents, as several of these authors are also bloggers. Enjoy.
Evolution: Education and Outreach
Volume 1 Issue 4
The evolution of eyes
Edited by T. Ryan Gregory
351. Editorial by Gregory Eldredge and Niles Eldredge (PDF)
352-354. Introduction by T. Ryan Gregory (PDF)
355-357. Casting an Eye on Complexity by Niles Eldredge (PDF)
Original science / evolution reviews
358-389. The Evolution of Complex Organs by T. Ryan Gregory (PDF)
390-402. Opening the "Black Box": The Genetic and Biochemical Basis of Eye Evolution by Todd H. Oakley and M. Sabrina Pankey (PDF)
(Blog: Evolutionary Novelties)
403-414. A Genetic Perspective on Eye Evolution: Gene Sharing, Convergence and Parallelism by Joram Piatigorsky (PDF)
415-426. The Origin of the Vertebrate Eye by Trevor D. Lamb, Edward N. Pugh, Jr., and Shaun P. Collin (PDF)
427-438. Early Evolution of the Vertebrate Eye--Fossil Evidence by Gavin C. Young (PDF)
439-447. Charting Evolution’s Trajectory: Using Molluscan Eye Diversity to Understand Parallel and Convergent Evolution by Jeanne M. Serb and Douglas J. Eernisse (PDF)
448-462. Evolution of Insect Eyes: Tales of Ancient Heritage, Deconstruction, Reconstruction, Remodeling, and Recycling by Elke Buschbeck and Markus Friedrich (PDF)
463-475. Exceptional Variation on a Common Theme: The Evolution of Crustacean Compound Eyes by Thomas W. Cronin and Megan L. Porter (PDF)
476-486. The Causes and Consequences of Color Vision by Ellen J. Gerl and Molly R. Morris (PDF)
487-492. The Evolution of Extraordinary Eyes: The Cases of Flatfishes and Stalk-eyed Flies by Carl Zimmer (PDF)
(Blog: The Loom)
493-497. Suboptimal Optics: Vision Problems as Scars of Evolutionary History by Steven Novella (PDF)
498-504. Bringing Homologies Into Focus by Anastasia Thanukos (PDF)
(Website: Understanding Evolution)
505-508. Misconceptions About the Evolution of Complexity by Andrew J. Petto and Louise S. Mead (PDF)
509-516. Losing Sight of Regressive Evolution by Monika Espinasa and Luis Espinasa (PDF)
548-551. Jay Hosler, An Evolutionary Novelty: Optical Allusions by Todd H. Oakley (PDF)
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Is The X(5568) A True Resonance ?
- The Five Stages Of A Dying Theory
- Chess is Smart and Sexy! The Mysterious Psychology of Chess Intelligence 2/3
- Something is wrong in the Arctic
- John Glenn, Astronaut, and Senator dead at 95. A Milennial Perspective
- Order Patterned With Chaos - How Climate Is Predicted For Decades - With Exact Forecasts Only For Days
- Baby Boomers Unbound: Marijuana Surges In The Elderly
- "No, there is nothing to worry about here. Wormwood refers to an enigmatic passage in the book of..."
- "So is there any chance at all that nibiru or Nemesis or wormwood any of them could be real at all..."
- "The day after the Shuttle with John Glenn took off on a four-day mission:“Just think of it,”..."
- "We all ate bread for years and were just fine..... YOU say. I grew up in the 60s & 70s. My Mother..."
- "Wormwood? What's wormwood? I saw Nibiru in that Star Trek movie, it looked okay...."
- The Alzheimer's-Amyloid Hypothesis Confirmed? Not So Fast
- Abortion Rate in U.S. Falls 21% in One Decade
- Child Mummy May Change Timeline for Smallpox
- On Proposed Tanning Bed Ban for Teens, New Study Urges FDA to Act
- Fear Of Dying Got You Down? Retail Therapy Can Help
- It’s Not Brain Surgery, But do you Know What is? Brain Surgery!