Wouldn't it be great if we could get computer chips to grow on trees? Or at least use the specific bonds of DNA molecules to get nanostructures to grow themselves right in the test tube? This technology could be used to build everything from tiny electronics components to machines that sequence DNA. This is shown in a dissertation from Mid Sweden University.
Building structures as tiny as a few nanometers is a major problem with today's technology. This is an important hurdle, because really tiny things can be extremely useful. Good examples are microelectronics, the smaller you can make the components on a chip, the faster you will be able to carry out calculations on it.
"The method we have developed for self-assembling blocks of DNA and gold particles is absolutely unique. The method can be used, for instance, to produce tiny nano carriers for drugs that can be emptied directly in cells on a given chemical signal," says Björn Högberg.
Björn Högberg has also taken a close look at a method for building nanostructures with the help of DNA that was invented by a a US researcher in the spring of 2006. The method is called 'DNA origami' and involves, in brief, folding or splicing together a long string of DNA with the aid of a large number of short strings ('staple DNA').
"In my dissertation I propose just how this technology could be used to construct a facility for extremely rapid DNA sequencing, which is a biotechnologist's dream," says Björn Högberg.
The title of the dissertation is DNA-Mediated Self-Assembly of Nanostructures¬Theory and Experiments.
Note: This story has been adapted from a news release issued by Mid Sweden University.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Inheritable Bacterium Controls Aedes Mosquitoes' Ability To Transmit Zika
- What Lies Beneath West Antarctica?
- Humans Have Faster Metabolism Than Closely Related Primates, Enabling Larger Brains
- Unified Mathematical Field Theory Talk
- Use Of Personal Care Products During Pregnancy Linked To Adverse Effects In Newborns
- Star With Different Internal Driving Force Than The Sun
- Exodus 2100: Due To Climate Change
- "Hello MathGeek:Thank you for stating your starting position so clearly:This is NOT my goal. I also..."
- "I agree with Robert Walker he looks to me a experienced guy we should be aware of these kinda stuffs..."
- "Just adding another link. Spinning Brains..."
- "Okay, yes I hadn't thought about clear walled aquariums. That's a good example :). Maybe its easier..."
- " I tried to form a number system with Z6 and I got the same thing as with Z4 ! I too am unclear..."
- Algorithm can improve guidance of crash victims to most appropriate place for care
- Tension-sensitive molecule helps cells divide chromosomes accurately
- Gene replacement therapy offers viable treatment option for fatal disease
- ALMA measures mass of black hole with extreme precision
- Research collaboration ids Serum biomarkers that Predict preclinical IBD development & complications