Coffee can be quite good for you, as any number of studies have shown. But you still have to take some personal responsibility for moderation because companies like Starbuck's are not going to do it for you. They're not in the personal responsibility business, they are in the drink business, so when they roll out a new size - the "Trenta" - this spring, all 31 ounces of it, they want you to buy it in any form you want.
The problem; if you get a "Trenta" lemonade, it will have 21 teaspoons of sugar. Yes, 21. That's not only more sugar than you should have in a single drink, it's more than you should have in a single day.
We're not trying to pick on Starbucks. If you buy any prepared beverage, you are paying for sugar. According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, people who consume drinks with added sugars consume more total calories, and studies have found that drinking sweetened beverages is related to weight gain. Though it can obviously be the other way around - people who are fat like to buy junk food, including sugary drinks.
Not everyone accepts that coffee is good for you. The Mayo clinic says it is just not bad for you, in moderation. A 'Trenta' coffee at Starbucks is 5 cups of coffee at one time, which is quite a bit of caffeine, including resulting irritability and difficulty sleeping. And Starbucks is able to market to children guilt-free in a way that tobacco and liquor companies are not, so they have no issue selling kids and teens anything they want. It remains the difficult task of parents to fight large corporation marketing.
“Energy and coffee beverages are subject to the same nutrition rules as other foods and drinks; it’s all about moderation,” says Ellen Schuster, a University of Missouri nutrition expert. “Ideally, it’s best to avoid drinking calories, because drinks leave you less full than solid foods. By eating calories in the form of high-calorie, high-sugar drinks, people crowd out other nutritious foods. However, like any indulgence, it’s fine to order a ‘Trenta’ drink as an occasional treat.”
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- How Zika Infects The Placenta
- Case For Moon: Humanity's Gateway To Solar System Exploration, Open Ended, Planetary Protection At Its Heart
- Music For The Eyes
- Schrödinger's Cat Is Not Just Alive And Dead, He's Both In 2 Places At Once
- Making Or Breaking Habits: The Endocannabinoids Can Do It
- Genomic Study Tracks African-American Dispersal In The Great Migration
- Scientists Discover How Supermassive Black Holes Keep Galaxies Turned Off
- " America, in fact the planet, needs a president who will make America green again. The bull****..."
- "Yes, agreed, nice way of putting it. Though a rather interesting garage that's full of treasures..."
- "Oh, okay, sorry about that. Likewise for yourself. ..."
- "Four paragraphs in I hit delete. I'm just going to wish you the best in all things...."
- "Oh rightio. I should add something about that as background for those who haven't come across the..."