Can you believe it's already been 10 years?
Before there was a cute Rover on the Martian surface, delighting us with pithy commentary on Twitter, we had Mars Express paving the way. Ten years ago, on 14 January 2004, it took its very first images, in color and in 3-D.
To mark the anniversary, the team has produced a fly-through movie of the ancient flood plain Kasei Valles, based on the 67-image mosaic released as part of the ten-years-since-launch celebrations in June 2013. The scene spans 987 km in the north–south direction, 19–36°N, and 1550 km in the east–west direction (280–310°E). It covers 1.55 million square kilometers, an area equivalent to the size of Mongolia.
Kasei Valles is one of the largest outflow channel systems on Mars, created during dramatic flood events. From source to sink, it extends some 3000 km and descends 3 km. Kasei Valles splits into two main branches that hug a broad island of fractured terrain – Sacra Mensa – rising 2 km above the channels that swerve around it. While weaker materials succumbed to the erosive power of the fast-flowing water, this hardier outcrop has stood the test of time.
Copyright ESA/DLR/FU Berlin (G. Neukum)
Slightly further downstream, the flood waters did their best to erase the 100 km-wide Sharonov crater, crumpling its walls to the south. Around Sharonov many small streamlined islands form teardrop shapes rising from the riverbed as water swept around these natural obstacles.
The Planetary Science and Remote Sensing Group at Freie Universität Berlin produced the movie. The processing of the High Resolution Stereo Camera image data was carried out at the DLR German Aerospace Center.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Philae: Rosetta Lander Will Seek A Close Encounter With Comet 67P’s ‘Primordial Soup’
- Is That A Real Patient Or A Junkie? Now There's An App For That
- How Neuroscience Is Being Used To Spread Quackery In Business And Education
- Anger Face Is Universal, And It Evolved Because Of Psychology
- Junk Food Rats Ditch Balanced Diet To Eat Just Like Obese People
- Researchers Watch Glass Flipping From One Structure To Another Under Pressure
- Will We Meet ET Microbes On Mars? Why We Should Care Deeply About Them - Like Tigers
- "Where's your evidence Robert? We are talking about philosophy not bloody religion!..."
- "I do research in neuroscience. The real good stuff (and it is ground slowly but certainly) will..."
- "from TOLSTOY AND THE CULT OF SIMPLICITY..."
- "If we don't have animal studies, we are left with anecdotes as evidence. I agree organic foods..."
- "Am I the only one who is concerned about the usage of the animals for such experiments? I'm really..."
- Evolution of the central Garlock fault zone
- Stratigraphic and microfossil evidence for a 4,500-year history of Cascadia subduction zone earthquakes and tsunamis at Yaquina
- Medication shows mixed results in reducing complications from cardiac surgery
- Transvenous lead extraction clinically successful in 98 percent of cases
- First multidisciplinary recommendations on management of arrhythmias in ACS patients
Books By Writers Here