Pennsylvania Governor Tom Corbett has announced that the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) is accepting applications for projects related to abandoned mine drainage projects .
You'll have to be a non-profit or a government agency to get government money - the groups most likely to be able to do something on budget are prohibited from applying to get a grant from taxpayers.
The Growing Greener Grant Program is funded by a series of bond issues and a fee on waste entering landfills. The infusion of additional Act 13 revenues of more than $7.8 million restores funding levels to where they stood before the fund was obligated to pay debt service on the bond issues. A total of $16 million is available through the Pennsylvania Growing Greener program for projects to improve water quality in impaired waterways or to protect water quality where the watershed may be threatened by non-point sources, such as agricultural or urban runoff or acid mine drainage. Approved projects for this section of the grant solicitation must be completed by Dec. 31, 2018. The federal Water Pollution Control Act will provide $3 million for projects to support restoration of 35 such watersheds across the state. Projects for this section of the grant solicitation must be completed by Sept. 30, 2018.
As part of program to pay other government-funded groups to restore abandoned mine sites with government money, DEP also announced $2 million in federal Surface Mining Conservation and Reclamation Act funding for abandoned mine drainage projects. The federal program is funded by a fee on the active mining industry.
The grant solicitation runs through July 11th. For more information and to download a grant application, visit www.dep.state.pa.us and click the "Growing Greener" button.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Why An Extra Planet Can't Be Hidden Behind The Sun Or Above The South Pole
- Hugh Hefner's Wife Was Not Poisoned By Breast Implants
- SYRINA: A Trojan Horse For Endocrine Disrupting Chemicals?
- The Daily Physics Problem - 5
- Why Has Organic Farming Flatlined?
- The Daily Physics Problem - 2
- The Daily Physics Problem - 4
- "You have a point. I grew up on an organic farm long before those were cool - it was called being..."
- "The same argument applies to all and any possible dates. Ask them which constellation it is in..."
- "No, because the whole thing is smoke and mirrors, it's impossible. If anyone says there's a planet..."
- "There was that recent NYT piece that showed we passed peak CSA too. It's perfectly fine to hand..."
- "Is nibru coming in July???..."
- Opercular index score: A novel approach for determining clinical outcomes in stroke
- Cataclysm at Meteor Crater: Crystal sheds light on Earth, moon, Mars
- Workforce processes prior to mechanical thrombectomy vary widely, new study finds
- Male frogs have sex on land to keep competitors away
- Cord blood outperforms matched, unrelated donor in bone marrow transplant