Pennsylvania Governor Tom Corbett has announced that the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) is accepting applications for projects related to abandoned mine drainage projects .
You'll have to be a non-profit or a government agency to get government money - the groups most likely to be able to do something on budget are prohibited from applying to get a grant from taxpayers.
The Growing Greener Grant Program is funded by a series of bond issues and a fee on waste entering landfills. The infusion of additional Act 13 revenues of more than $7.8 million restores funding levels to where they stood before the fund was obligated to pay debt service on the bond issues. A total of $16 million is available through the Pennsylvania Growing Greener program for projects to improve water quality in impaired waterways or to protect water quality where the watershed may be threatened by non-point sources, such as agricultural or urban runoff or acid mine drainage. Approved projects for this section of the grant solicitation must be completed by Dec. 31, 2018. The federal Water Pollution Control Act will provide $3 million for projects to support restoration of 35 such watersheds across the state. Projects for this section of the grant solicitation must be completed by Sept. 30, 2018.
As part of program to pay other government-funded groups to restore abandoned mine sites with government money, DEP also announced $2 million in federal Surface Mining Conservation and Reclamation Act funding for abandoned mine drainage projects. The federal program is funded by a fee on the active mining industry.
The grant solicitation runs through July 11th. For more information and to download a grant application, visit www.dep.state.pa.us and click the "Growing Greener" button.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Higher Potency Cannabis Linked To Brain White Matter Damage
- Single Top Production At The LHC
- Our Ethical Responsibilities To Baby Terraformed Worlds - Like Parents
- Supersymmetry Is About To Be Discovered, Kane Says
- Cool, Dim Dwarf Star Is Magnetic Powerhouse
- New Gene Map Reveals Cancer's Achilles Heel
- Thanksgiving Science 2015
- "Great, :)...."
- "Thank you for your reassurance Mr. Walker :D My apologies for doubting you before :D I'm positive..."
- "Skunk-like cannabis, that's a real technical term right there. I'm going to take a questionnaire..."
- "It's just fiction. It's like asking me, do I think Harry Potter is a wizard? Yes of course because..."
- "some people are saying that nibiru is there and we cant see it others are saying it will be visible..."
- Earth's first ecosystems were more complex than previously thought, study finds
- Soil pulled from deep under Oregon's unglaciated Coast Range unveils frosty past climate
- Mystery of how snakes lost their legs solved by reptile fossil
- Seizure risk of anti-shivering agent meperidine greatly overstated
- Immune-disorder treatment in mice holds potential for multiple sclerosis patients