You're on this website so you obviously know how to read. And some regard the digital revolution as a monumental one but there was one even greater; the invention of writing itself.
If you are in the Chicago area this weekend and keen to learn about how and where writing originated - in not just one place but at four distinct times and places - a panel of scholars will explore how writing developed in ancient Mesopotamia, Egypt, China, and Mesoamerica.
The seminar is Saturday, November 13, 2010 at 1:00 pm at the Oriental Institute, Breasted Hall
1155 East 58th Street, Chicago, IL. A reception will follow the symposium at 5 PM.
You can also discover why each of these societies invented writing, how their uses of writing differed, how their written symbols encoded language and thought, and how the presence of new ways to communicate changed life and culture in each society, a process that still continues throughout the world today.
Presented in conjunction with the special exhibit “Visible Language: Inventions of Writing in the Ancient Middle East and Beyond,” speakers from the University of Chicago include:
- Janet H. Johnson, Professor of Egyptology
- Joseph Lam, Ph.D. candidate in Semitic Languages
- Edward Shaughnessy, Professor in Early Chinese Studies and Civilizations
- Christopher Woods, Associate Professor of Sumerology
Guest speaker: - Joel Palka, Associate Professor, Anthropology&Latin American Studies, University of Illinois at Chicago
Admission to the symposium is free but pre-registration is required. Contact Public Education at 773-702-9507 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Global 'Roadmap' Shows Where To Put Roads Without Costing The Earth
- Neil Tyson On The Politics Of Science Denial
- Synaptic Plasticity And Memory In Silent Neurons
- Low Carb Vs. Low Fat Diets: Which Is Better?
- Wockhardt Is First Indian Pharmaceutical Company To Get FDA QIDP Status
- How The Higgs Became The Target Of Run 2 At The Tevatron
- Brain Size Matters When It Comes To Remembering
- "So ignore the data that shows the Antarctic breaking ice extent records. Ignore the water displacement..."
- "You don't think science media is a lot better about calling out anti-science on both political..."
- "From what I have seen over the years on Science 2.0 I regard LagrangiansForBreakfast and Ed brown..."
- "Edison's superior lamp filament was made of carbon, not tungsten. In 1906, the General Electric..."
- "Those days are long gone seriously ?..."
- Simple awareness campaign in general practice identifies new cases of AF
- ROCKET AF trial suggests that digoxin increases risk of death in AF patients
- Health structures explain nearly 20 percent of non-adherence to heart failure guidelines
- Mechanical heart valves increase pregnancy risk
- Can auriculotherapy help relieve chronic constipation?