You're on this website so you obviously know how to read. And some regard the digital revolution as a monumental one but there was one even greater; the invention of writing itself.
If you are in the Chicago area this weekend and keen to learn about how and where writing originated - in not just one place but at four distinct times and places - a panel of scholars will explore how writing developed in ancient Mesopotamia, Egypt, China, and Mesoamerica.
The seminar is Saturday, November 13, 2010 at 1:00 pm at the Oriental Institute, Breasted Hall
1155 East 58th Street, Chicago, IL. A reception will follow the symposium at 5 PM.
You can also discover why each of these societies invented writing, how their uses of writing differed, how their written symbols encoded language and thought, and how the presence of new ways to communicate changed life and culture in each society, a process that still continues throughout the world today.
Presented in conjunction with the special exhibit “Visible Language: Inventions of Writing in the Ancient Middle East and Beyond,” speakers from the University of Chicago include:
- Janet H. Johnson, Professor of Egyptology
- Joseph Lam, Ph.D. candidate in Semitic Languages
- Edward Shaughnessy, Professor in Early Chinese Studies and Civilizations
- Christopher Woods, Associate Professor of Sumerology
Guest speaker: - Joel Palka, Associate Professor, Anthropology&Latin American Studies, University of Illinois at Chicago
Admission to the symposium is free but pre-registration is required. Contact Public Education at 773-702-9507 or email email@example.com
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Order Patterned With Chaos - How Climate Is Predicted For Decades - With Exact Forecasts Only For Days
- Is The X(5568) A True Resonance ?
- Chess is Smart and Sexy! The Mysterious Psychology of Chess Intelligence 1/3
- Should Pregnant Women Be Concerned About BPA?
- Baby Boomers Unbound: Marijuana Surges In The Elderly
- The Five Stages Of A Dying Theory
- Running Sounds May Contain Clues To Injury Prevention
- "Thank you mr walker for your time and patience with you have been a big help. Dawn..."
- "Dawn, no there is nothing to be worried about at all. No need to warn anyone. It's just made up..."
- "So do i need to be worried or not do i need to warn anybody or not like tell my family and friends..."
- "Dawn, sorry to hear that you are freaking out about this. I've written up my answer to you as Debunked..."
- "aargh! I forgot you mentioned this promotion....let's see! Thanks...."
- Honey, Please Pass The High Fructose Corn Syrup
- A stolen computer and the scandal of a high profile paper
- Need Some Zzzs? How Good Are The "Z" Sleeping Pills?
- Honey? Please.
- Environmentalists In Cancun: Gene Drives Will Cause Our Extinction, Now Pass The Caviar
- How CSPI Undermines Science, Nutrition, and U.S. Dietary Guidelines