You're on this website so you obviously know how to read. And some regard the digital revolution as a monumental one but there was one even greater; the invention of writing itself.
If you are in the Chicago area this weekend and keen to learn about how and where writing originated - in not just one place but at four distinct times and places - a panel of scholars will explore how writing developed in ancient Mesopotamia, Egypt, China, and Mesoamerica.
The seminar is Saturday, November 13, 2010 at 1:00 pm at the Oriental Institute, Breasted Hall
1155 East 58th Street, Chicago, IL. A reception will follow the symposium at 5 PM.
You can also discover why each of these societies invented writing, how their uses of writing differed, how their written symbols encoded language and thought, and how the presence of new ways to communicate changed life and culture in each society, a process that still continues throughout the world today.
Presented in conjunction with the special exhibit “Visible Language: Inventions of Writing in the Ancient Middle East and Beyond,” speakers from the University of Chicago include:
- Janet H. Johnson, Professor of Egyptology
- Joseph Lam, Ph.D. candidate in Semitic Languages
- Edward Shaughnessy, Professor in Early Chinese Studies and Civilizations
- Christopher Woods, Associate Professor of Sumerology
Guest speaker: - Joel Palka, Associate Professor, Anthropology&Latin American Studies, University of Illinois at Chicago
Admission to the symposium is free but pre-registration is required. Contact Public Education at 773-702-9507 or email email@example.com
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- NO End Of World Today! AWFUL "Silly Season" Story
- Why An Extra Planet Can't Be Hidden Behind The Sun Or Above The South Pole
- My Applied National Security Paper. Being President Isn't For Idiots.
- Why Has Organic Farming Flatlined?
- Hugh Hefner's Wife Was Not Poisoned By Breast Implants
- SYRINA: A Trojan Horse For Endocrine Disrupting Chemicals?
- Why Do Consumers Participate In 'green' Programs?
- "Is 1950 DA bigger than chicxclub meteor sorry that I butchered the word ..."
- "I don't think iran wants nuclear weapons.and they are signatories of NPT.if they desire nuclear..."
- "hello mark! if you mean Ms. Wilhemina Pelegrina, I really like her name. very beautiful name. I..."
- "Not sure how we switched from discussing no-existent Golden Rice to inherently unsafe Nuclear Power..."
- "Great glad I helped to calm you down :). Okay, it's a matter of probabilities, you can't say that..."
- Tracking how HIV disrupts immune system informs vaccine development
- Green monkeys acquired Staphylococcus aureus from humans
- Researchers find molecular switch that triggers bacterial pathogenicity
- Scientists identify immunological profiles of people who make powerful HIV antibodies
- Breastfeeding associated with better brain development and neurocognitive outcomes