At the American Heart Association's Scientific Sessions 2012, a study showed that genetically engineered tomato plants produced a peptide that mimics the actions of good cholesterol when eaten
In the study, mice that ate the freeze-dried, ground tomatoes had less inflammation and reduced atherosclerosis, plaque build-up in the arteries.
The researchers genetically engineered the tomatoes to produce 6F, a small peptide that mimics the action of ApoA-1, the chief protein in high density lipoprotein (HDL, also called "good" cholesterol). They fed the tomatoes to mice that lack the ability to remove low density lipoprotein (LDL - "bad" cholesterol) from their blood and readily develop inflammation and atherosclerosis when consuming a high-fat diet.
The mice ate the tomatoes as 2.2 percent of their Western-style high-fat, calorie-packed diet and those given the peptide-enhanced tomatoes had significantly:
lower blood levels of inflammation;
higher paraoxonase activity, an anti-oxidant enzyme associated with good cholesterol and related to a lower risk of heart disease;
higher levels of good cholesterol;
decreased lysophosphatidic acid, a tumor promoter that accelerates plaque build-up in arteries in animal models and;
less atherosclerotic plaque.
"We have found a new and practical way to make a peptide that acts like the main protein in good cholesterol, but is many times more effective and can be delivered by eating the plant," said Alan M. Fogelman, M.D., senior author of the study and executive chair of the Department of Medicine and director of the Atherosclerosis Research Unit in the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA. "To our knowledge this is the first example of a drug with these properties that has been produced in an edible plant and is biologically active when fed without any isolation or purification of the drug."
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Wait, Let's Not Be In Such A Rush To Go Multiplanetary Or Interstellar - A Comment On Elon Musk's Vision
- No Go Area! What? What is that?
- Petition To Youtube To Halt Ads On Doomsday Videos - They Make The Vulnerable Suicidal
- A Book By Guido Tonelli
- Hubble Spots Europa Geysers Again - How They Did It - And What Next? Flyby? Lander?
- Why Shrubs Are More Successful Than Trees
- Laterality: Finding Out About The Human Mind Through Stone
- "Thanks for your support. I hope so also :)...."
- "hey mr walker this is history of nibiru it's over. now let´s make these sensationalist sites not..."
- "Yes, it is made up by people who don't understand basic ideas in astronomy and must have flunked..."
- "Yes, but you can argue the other way. It is not real and can't be real, because it's impossible..."
- "and the story of nibiru ?? It is fake?..."
- Littlest Consumers Doing Well, Nutrition-wise
- Herpes Vaccine Update: Exciting News, But Don't Throw Away the Condoms Just Yet
- Ben & Jerry’s Asks Us to Take Big Lick of Fear & Hype
- A Cocktail of Wild Viruses Treats Bacterial Wound Infections in Mice
- The Scientific Advisors at Theranos Won't (or Can't) Talk
- Suppressing Coughs at Tonight's Presidential Debate