New single laser devices that are the size of a virus particle can also operate at room temperature. These plasmonic nanolasers could be readily integrated into silicon-based photonic devices, all-optical circuits and nanoscale biosensors.
We're going to need ultra-fast data processing and ultra-dense information storage by the time Halo 8 comes to a holodeck near you, so reducing the size of photonic and electronic elements is critical.
"Coherent light sources at the nanometer scale are important not only for exploring phenomena in small dimensions but also for realizing optical devices with sizes that can beat the diffraction limit of light," said Teri Odom of Northwestern University, who led the research. "The reason we can fabricate nano-lasers with sizes smaller than that allowed by diffraction is because we made the lasing cavity out of metal nanoparticle dimers -- structures with a 3-D 'bowtie' shape."
These metal nanostructures support localized surface plasmons, collective oscillations of electrons, that have no fundamental size limits when it comes to confining light.
The use of the bowtie geometry has two significant benefits over previous work on plasmon lasers: the bowtie structure provides a well-defined, electromagnetic hot spot in a nano-sized volume because of an antenna effect, and the individual structure has only minimal metal "losses" because of its discrete geometry.
"Surprisingly, we also found that when arranged in an array, the 3-D bowtie resonators could emit light at specific angles according to the lattice parameters," Odom said.
Published in Nano Letters.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Higher Potency Cannabis Linked To Brain White Matter Damage
- Single Top Production At The LHC
- Our Ethical Responsibilities To Baby Terraformed Worlds - Like Parents
- Supersymmetry Is About To Be Discovered, Kane Says
- Cool, Dim Dwarf Star Is Magnetic Powerhouse
- New Gene Map Reveals Cancer's Achilles Heel
- Discovery Could Open Door To Frozen Preservation Of Tissues, Whole Organs
- "Great, :)...."
- "Thank you for your reassurance Mr. Walker :D My apologies for doubting you before :D I'm positive..."
- "Skunk-like cannabis, that's a real technical term right there. I'm going to take a questionnaire..."
- "It's just fiction. It's like asking me, do I think Harry Potter is a wizard? Yes of course because..."
- "some people are saying that nibiru is there and we cant see it others are saying it will be visible..."
- Earth's first ecosystems were more complex than previously thought, study finds
- Soil pulled from deep under Oregon's unglaciated Coast Range unveils frosty past climate
- Mystery of how snakes lost their legs solved by reptile fossil
- Seizure risk of anti-shivering agent meperidine greatly overstated
- Immune-disorder treatment in mice holds potential for multiple sclerosis patients