A dual-headed dedicated gamma camera used during molecular breast imaging (MBI) can accurately detect small breast tumors less than 2 cm in size, according to a study performed at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN.
One-hundred fifty patients who had suspicious lesions smaller than 2 cm in size were imaged using dual-head molecular breast imaging. “There were 128 cancers confirmed in 88 patients,” according to Carrie B. Hruska, MD, lead author of the study. “The sensitivity rate of dual-head MBI during the study was 90% (115/128)”, she said.
“Dual head MBI involves a very light, pain-free compression of the breast. Two views of each breast are performed, lasting for about 10 minutes per view,” said Hruska. “The patient receives an IV injection of a commonly used radiotracer and this tracer circulates throughout the body and is preferentially absorbed in the breast cancer,” she said.
MBI is about the same cost as digital mammography. Although mammography works very well for most women, there are many women who could benefit from an additional test like dual head MBI that is both cost-effective and also has a good specificity (meaning it won’t give a lot of false positive results). It would be useful for women who have very dense breasts on mammography or who are at an increased risk of developing breast cancer,” said Hruska. This study appears in the December issue of the American Journal of Roentgenology.
“MBI is still in the research stages, but it is expected to become more widely available in the future,” said Hruska.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- No, Earth's Magnetic Field Is Not About To Flip
- Our Ethical Responsibilities To Baby Terraformed Worlds - Like Parents
- Supersymmetry Is About To Be Discovered, Kane Says
- Anomaly! - A Different Particle Physics Book
- Like Human Civilization? Thank Our Evil Side
- Patient Deaths Do Not Increase During Doctor Strikes
- At The Edge Of Vision: Struggling To Make Sense Of Our Cluttered World
- "thank u mr walker I will try and forget about this but I do hope wat u are saying is true ..."
- "I'm so pleased I'm not the only one so worried about this. As a grown up it does seem nuts but..."
- "Please don't be scared, there is no truth to any of it. It is just an internet hoax. It only works..."
- "100%. Just like Brian Cox and Neil Tyson and David Morrison etc etc. It's just nonsense.There are..."
- "hi there this is a serious question ive booked to take my wife away for Christmas and new year..."