Married men do less of it than live-in boyfriends but they do twice as much as they did 20 years ago and now it's linked to mental health. What is this magical creation?
Not just housework, but really any 20 minutes of physical activity, including the housework we all have to do anyway, is enough to boost mental health, reveals a large study published in the British Journal of Sports Medicine.
While regular exercise is known to be good for mental health, no one seems able to agree on how much, or what type of activity, is best. But housework might be that common denominator.
The findings are based on a representative sample of almost 20 000 men and women who were quizzed for the Scottish Health Survey about their state of mind and how much weekly physical activity they engaged in.
Over 3000 participants were deemed to be suffering from stress or anxiety, using a validated scoring system. But any form of daily physical activity was associated with a lower risk of distress, when other influential factors, such as age, gender, and the presence of a long term condition, were taken into account.
The range of activities, which proved beneficial, included housework, gardening, walking, and sports, although the strongest effect was seen for sports, which lowered the risk of distress by 33%.
The results also indicated that while just 20 minutes improved mental state, the more activity a person indulged in, the lower were their chances of psychological distress.
Physical activity curbs the risks of a range of serious diseases, such as heart disease and certain cancers, and it improves several biological risk factors, such as glucose intolerance and inflammation, which have themselves been linked to depression and dementia, say the authors.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Hardwired For Miscommunication? Why Women Think Sex When Men Just Want To Be Friends
- Planck on BICEP2 "It turns out that the part of the dust had been significantly underestimated."
- On necessary conditions for simple toy models capable of running general AIs. The (baby) Matrix.
- Oceans Give New Insights On Elements Made In Supernovae
- The Coupler - New Implant Lowers Blood Pressure After Outpatient Procedure
- Counterintuitive: Anti-Inflammatory Protein May Trigger Alzheimer's Disease Plaque
- Who's Going To Win The Super Bowl? Athlete Biological Clocks Might Help Tell Us
- "I am thinking about it since I need to start doing female rodent studies. The major issue..."
- "I hadn't, and I would love to see a real article on why using both sexes are an impediment. I have..."
- "Hank,Here is a prime example of the stupidity you bring up.http://nexus.od.nih.gov/all/2014/12/09/following..."
- "The horrible intelligent lava monsters of Kepler 444 are probably offended that we think they don't..."
- "Certain stories in the new media at large have been talking about Kepler 444 and the possibility..."