Sexual harassment from male guppies is so bad that long-suffering females will risk their lives to escape it, according to new research from Dr. Safi Darden and Dr. Darren Croft from Bangor University.
Male guppies spend most of their time displaying their brightly-coloured bodies to females in the hope of attracting a mate. The choosy females will usually only mate with the most attractive, high-quality males to ensure the production of strong offspring. If his courtship display is rejected, the male will often attempt to sneak a mating with his chosen female when she is not looking.
Avoiding the relentless male harassment uses up precious resources such as time and energy. This in turn reduces the time available for food foraging, and energy for growth and reproduction.
The researchers studied guppy behaviour in a Trinidad river and found that the females are segregating the sexes by choosing to spend time in areas where there are high numbers of predators. The brightly-coloured males are far more likely to attract the predators than the dull brown females, so they keep their distance.
Dr Croft explains, “Much like humans, female guppies produce relatively few eggs and give birth to live offspring. They don’t lay their eggs for a seasonal spawning but keep them inside their bodies where they are fertilised by the males. Because they are not reliant on seasons, the females have a continuous battle to keep the males at bay – so they are resorting to extreme measures to avoid unwelcome attention.”
Funded by the Natural Environment Research Council.
Article: Safi Darden and Dr Darren Croft, ‘Male harassment drives females to alter habitat use and leads to segregation of the sexes’, Biology Letters.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Standards Needed For Post-Conviction Review Of Forensic Evidence
- Temperature Records Study Shows Climate Models Underestimate Magnitude Of Natural Climate Wiggles
- Anti-Vaccine Beliefs Raced Around The World While Science Was Putting On Its Shoes
- Will Asteroid 2012 TC4 Hit Earth in October 2017?
- The Era Of The Atom
- Thorium Can Serve As A Nuclear Fuel For Commercial Electricity Generation
- Cardiovascular Risk Factors And Alzheimer's Disease Genetic Overlap
- "The Vaccine Injury act makes it much easier to get compensation. The legal bar is much lower than..."
- "That's still interestingly different from my guess. :) Cool! Thanks. Will you post the reference..."
- "Yes, and there was also the Radi-Thor, a thorium-enriched drink - the producer died of cancer,..."
- "Another nice use of radiation in the beginning of XX century (say, until 1930 or so) was painting..."
- "Another comment: the skylab astronauts running around in their jogging track experienced about..."