Sexual harassment from male guppies is so bad that long-suffering females will risk their lives to escape it, according to new research from Dr. Safi Darden and Dr. Darren Croft from Bangor University.
Male guppies spend most of their time displaying their brightly-coloured bodies to females in the hope of attracting a mate. The choosy females will usually only mate with the most attractive, high-quality males to ensure the production of strong offspring. If his courtship display is rejected, the male will often attempt to sneak a mating with his chosen female when she is not looking.
Avoiding the relentless male harassment uses up precious resources such as time and energy. This in turn reduces the time available for food foraging, and energy for growth and reproduction.
The researchers studied guppy behaviour in a Trinidad river and found that the females are segregating the sexes by choosing to spend time in areas where there are high numbers of predators. The brightly-coloured males are far more likely to attract the predators than the dull brown females, so they keep their distance.
Dr Croft explains, “Much like humans, female guppies produce relatively few eggs and give birth to live offspring. They don’t lay their eggs for a seasonal spawning but keep them inside their bodies where they are fertilised by the males. Because they are not reliant on seasons, the females have a continuous battle to keep the males at bay – so they are resorting to extreme measures to avoid unwelcome attention.”
Funded by the Natural Environment Research Council.
Article: Safi Darden and Dr Darren Croft, ‘Male harassment drives females to alter habitat use and leads to segregation of the sexes’, Biology Letters.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- New Ice Age Is Coming, By 2030, Says Analysis
- Will Aspartame Critics Now Be Less Bitter?
- (Well)-Paid PhD Position In Physics Offered In Padova, Italy
- New Results From The LHC At 13 TeV!
- An Anti-Aging Pill Is Still A Long Way Off
- People Are Not Scared Of GMO Warning Labels
- Scientists Discover First 'DNA Ambulance'
- "Then why was last year the warmest on record? And why is this year on pace to be even warmer?..."
- "More accurately you can find false claims by science-deniers of no warming for 17 years...."
- "No surprise that junk science like this would be coming out of Russia...."
- "Thanks doc bloom for the thoughtful article, but I still prefer sugar vs aspartame because of taste..."
- "Methanol (wood alcohol) is 11% of aspartame, so one can diet drink gives 22 mg methanol, which..."