In India most of the marine mammal records come from stranding and accidental catch in trawls and purse seine. There are two main habitat of marine mammals in India, (1) Arabian Sea on the western coast with a wide continental shelf and constant salinity, and (2) Bay of Bengal with narrow continental shelf and fluctuating salinity. Both the habitats provide optimum living condition for tropical marine mammals as there are few Islands and submarine features which offers less hindrance in their movement.
Arabian sea is rich in bio- resource and offers enormous food (most important are squid and shrimp) to hungry whales and dolphins. The tip of southern India has lush growth of seagrass where the sea cow Dugong dugong show their dominance. The Andaman and Nicobar group of Islands is another paradise for sea cow. Here is one very informative book released by Central Marine Fisheries Research Institute on the marine mammals species in India. Certain NGOs are also working on the conservation of dolphins and sea cows.
There are 31 species of marine mammal in India, which includes thirty species of Cetacea and only one species of Sirenia. Research on marine mammals in India is still in its juvenile stage due to lack of funds, international corporation and sophisticated technology.
This is a picture of baby sperm whale, Physeter macrocephalus, 4.4 meter long, which was entangled in a trawl net at 20 meter depth near Marina beach, Chennai. It was abandoned by the fisherman, later found stranded near the coast on January 21st, 2002. The dead whale was later buried in the nearby beach by Zoological Survey of India and the skeleton of this whale is kept in the museum.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Kudos To "The Independent" Newspaper For Debunking Nibiru "Blood Moon" Hoax
- Friendships And Vaccines
- Researchers Discover Machines Can Learn By Simply Observing
- Climate Change Has Less Impact On Drought Than Previously Expected
- Dog Brains Process Both What We Say And How We Say It
- Your Microbiome Did Not Cause Your Weight Problem
- A Great Blitz Game
- "Is something bad heading our way mr walker im terrified that something is. Lucy..."
- "It was depressing to look at the thefire.org ratings and given that there is almost no universities..."
- "But if you mean something that is possible such as a daytime comet, say, well the criteria in science..."
- "There is nothing that could make sense of it. That's like asking, what would it take to get sports..."
- "Michael, sorry, I hadn't seen the news you are talking about, yes that's very interesting. This..."
- First randomized trial compares stenting techniques for coronary bifurcation
- How the 'police' of the cell world deal with 'intruders' and the 'injured'
- Intravascular imaging identifies some heart attack patients who can forgo stenting
- YEARS algorithm in suspected pulmonary embolism: Towards a reduced rate of pulmonary imaging
- 'Helix-to-Tube,' a simple strategy to synthesize covalent organic nanotubes