Planet Earth is a magnificent planet and that is an understatement! I think it looks particularly good from space, although I do appreciate the daily close-ups I am literally living in here at the edge of the woods in Norway.
Some say that the little blue dot is one of the most important images ever taken, showing how truly small we are, not only us individually, but in fact our entire planet. It is so small it is not even noise as I love to say, making a point of my background from astrophysics.
Now, NASA has come up with yet another brilliant way of engaging the public. NASA and its Earth Observatory is organizing a tournament where we all are invited to cast a vote for our favorite satellite image. What I really like about it, is that there are several categories of images and the tournament goes on over several weeks.
The tournament started today and you have now the chance to be a maximum influencer and decide which of the candidate satellite images of our planet is NASA and the Earth Observatory's very best.
I have of course already cast my first votes. Please, do not restrain yourselves. Jump in and participate in
I will reveal that this image is among one of the views of Earth that got my vote this week. Which one will you vote for?
What can I say? I practically live in the Arctic....:-)
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Suggestion: The EM Drive Is Getting The Appropriate Level Of Attention From The Science Community
- Animal Sex Is Spicier Than We Thought
- Multi-Meter Sea Level Rise This Century? That's Not A Consensus
- Bang! Meet The Highest-Energy Hadron Collision Ever Imaged!
- What If We Can 'Pre-Diagnose' Autism In Babies?
- For Now We See Through A Brewing Class, Darkly
- Bees: Activists Remain Silent While This Pollinator Killer Decimates Millions
- "Thanks for your clear and thorough presentation, as always, I'm a regular and avid reader of your..."
- "So Josh, why don't they change the rat model?..."
- "Hi ThorFreely moving mirrors, allowed to accelerate, will see the photon energy red-shifted, asymptoting..."
- "Comment threads do get confusing after a while. I didn't see Josh criticizing you but then I have..."
- "My apologies. It is not so easy to tell who is replying to who in the comments section. This happens..."
- Television doctors under fire again
- Environmental activists are ignoring the real bee killer
- Gary Hirshberg: Organic yogurt guru’s credibility under attack
- Legionnaires’ disease outbreak in NYC
- John Stossel rips the EPA and NRDC too. Because they’re practically the same thing
- Fact checking pHony water