Planet Earth is a magnificent planet and that is an understatement! I think it looks particularly good from space, although I do appreciate the daily close-ups I am literally living in here at the edge of the woods in Norway.
Some say that the little blue dot is one of the most important images ever taken, showing how truly small we are, not only us individually, but in fact our entire planet. It is so small it is not even noise as I love to say, making a point of my background from astrophysics.
Now, NASA has come up with yet another brilliant way of engaging the public. NASA and its Earth Observatory is organizing a tournament where we all are invited to cast a vote for our favorite satellite image. What I really like about it, is that there are several categories of images and the tournament goes on over several weeks.
The tournament started today and you have now the chance to be a maximum influencer and decide which of the candidate satellite images of our planet is NASA and the Earth Observatory's very best.
I have of course already cast my first votes. Please, do not restrain yourselves. Jump in and participate in
I will reveal that this image is among one of the views of Earth that got my vote this week. Which one will you vote for?
What can I say? I practically live in the Arctic....:-)
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Philae: Rosetta Lander Will Seek A Close Encounter With Comet 67P’s ‘Primordial Soup’
- Is That A Real Patient Or A Junkie? Now There's An App For That
- How Neuroscience Is Being Used To Spread Quackery In Business And Education
- Will We Meet ET Microbes On Mars? Why We Should Care Deeply About Them - Like Tigers
- Anger Face Is Universal, And It Evolved Because Of Psychology
- Junk Food Rats Ditch Balanced Diet To Eat Just Like Obese People
- Researchers Watch Glass Flipping From One Structure To Another Under Pressure
- "Where's your evidence Robert? We are talking about philosophy not bloody religion!..."
- "I do research in neuroscience. The real good stuff (and it is ground slowly but certainly) will..."
- "from TOLSTOY AND THE CULT OF SIMPLICITY..."
- "If we don't have animal studies, we are left with anecdotes as evidence. I agree organic foods..."
- "Am I the only one who is concerned about the usage of the animals for such experiments? I'm really..."
- Renal denervation more successful when it includes accessory arteries
- Wine only protects against CVD in people who exercise
- Drinking tea reduces non-CV mortality by 24 percent
- AF mortality and morbidity high at 1 year despite good anticoagulant use
- New method predicts optimal number and location of AEDs