Planet Earth is a magnificent planet and that is an understatement! I think it looks particularly good from space, although I do appreciate the daily close-ups I am literally living in here at the edge of the woods in Norway.
Some say that the little blue dot is one of the most important images ever taken, showing how truly small we are, not only us individually, but in fact our entire planet. It is so small it is not even noise as I love to say, making a point of my background from astrophysics.
Now, NASA has come up with yet another brilliant way of engaging the public. NASA and its Earth Observatory is organizing a tournament where we all are invited to cast a vote for our favorite satellite image. What I really like about it, is that there are several categories of images and the tournament goes on over several weeks.
The tournament started today and you have now the chance to be a maximum influencer and decide which of the candidate satellite images of our planet is NASA and the Earth Observatory's very best.
I have of course already cast my first votes. Please, do not restrain yourselves. Jump in and participate in
I will reveal that this image is among one of the views of Earth that got my vote this week. Which one will you vote for?
What can I say? I practically live in the Arctic....:-)
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Phase-Change Materials Set New Speed Limit For Silicon
- Watching Neurons Learn: Learning New Ideas Is More Difficult
- Life After The 125 GeV Higgs: What Is Left Of Two-Higgs Doublet Models
- M60-UCD1: Tiny Galaxy, Supermassive Black Hole
- Muslim Hijab Linked To Less Negative Body Image Among Women
- Witness The Singularity AI Nanotech Co-Evolutionary Merger
- Tropical Fish Devastate Mediterranean Ecosystems
- " Quantum Mechanics (intellectual dishonesty) at its finest, a never ending logical fallacy of moving..."
- "Please re-read the first paragraph. It's missing an ending......"
- "If being very restrained brings you to write stuff as AFAIK he has never talked about the gaps..."
- "Hi Mephisto,we do have a similar problem to the one you mention in high-energy physics - when we..."
- "Concerning his political opinions, Lubos is a deluded annoying crank, but credit has to be given..."
- Gibbon genome sequence deepens understanding of primates rapid chromosomal rearrangements
- Combining antibodies, iron nanoparticles and magnets steers stem cells to injured organs
- Messier 54 lithium: This star cluster is not what it seems
- Sharks more abundant on healthy coral reefs
- Using plants to produce enzyme may provide treatment for high blood pressure in lungs