Planet Earth is a magnificent planet and that is an understatement! I think it looks particularly good from space, although I do appreciate the daily close-ups I am literally living in here at the edge of the woods in Norway.
Some say that the little blue dot is one of the most important images ever taken, showing how truly small we are, not only us individually, but in fact our entire planet. It is so small it is not even noise as I love to say, making a point of my background from astrophysics.
Now, NASA has come up with yet another brilliant way of engaging the public. NASA and its Earth Observatory is organizing a tournament where we all are invited to cast a vote for our favorite satellite image. What I really like about it, is that there are several categories of images and the tournament goes on over several weeks.
The tournament started today and you have now the chance to be a maximum influencer and decide which of the candidate satellite images of our planet is NASA and the Earth Observatory's very best.
I have of course already cast my first votes. Please, do not restrain yourselves. Jump in and participate in
I will reveal that this image is among one of the views of Earth that got my vote this week. Which one will you vote for?
What can I say? I practically live in the Arctic....:-)
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- President Obama, Why Humans On Mars Right Now Are Bad For Science
- IPhone Lab Detects Cancer, May Lead To Instant Diagnosis
- EPA Again Delays Report On Safety Of Glyphosate
- BPA-Free, With Regrets
- Perception: The Forgotten Psychology of Holographic Universe Simulations 1/2
- Physics Outreach With Music
- Nitrate-Reducing Microbes Linked To Migraine Headaches
- "Oh, sounds as if you meant to post to my article: Petition To Youtube To Halt Ads On Doomsday Videos..."
- "Ok im going to reason with you hear the reason i ask is because i have trust issues and on this..."
- "Astronomers don't say it's real. The Nibiru people cite articles that are talking about different..."
- " They continue spreading this lie of the magnetic polar flip and jesus return and they won´t stop..."
- "I just dont get how so many say its real including astronomers yet so little saying its not nobody..."