Ever wonder what the smallest protein is? Apparently it's TRP-Cage, a protein with only 20 amino acids derived from the saliva of Gila monsters.
Trp-cage - smallest protein
You can find the structure file and images in the PDB database (www.pdb.org) with PDB ID = 1L2Y. This highly stable mini-protein is important for studies of protein stability, protein folding, and 3D structure.
Even with this small size, it displays secondary structural elements, such as an alpha helix, found in many proteins. So far there are no known proteins with less than 20 residues, but we'll see what happens in the future.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- On Sexuality, You Weren't Born That Way, Says Paper
- Anomaly!: Book News And A Clip
- Beekeeping Fad And The Stress Of Traveling Is Harmful To Bees
- Bubble-wrapped Sponge Creates Steam Using Sunlight
- Reframing Body Weight As Baby Weight May Help Women Handle Pregnancy
- Petition: Let's End Dramatized Reporting Of "Doomsday" Stories - The Vulnerable Get Suicidal
- Stem Cell Therapy Heals Injured Mouse Brain
- "i've often wondered https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behavioral_sink ..."
- "Dylan, yes back online now. The Sun, and Moon are visible in all those places, of course, so if..."
- "Tina, I think it's best to try to understand the constellation argument because then you can just..."
- "People worry about a system entering ours and spelling doomsday for us all, however I believe if..."
- " I appreciate your hard work and look forward to any future publications with great interest, thank..."
- Funding Scientific Research In A Scientific Way
- Animal Protein Vs Plant Protein: Do We Have to Choose?
- Engage the Dutch, to Help Keep U.S. Flooding at Bay
- Good News Coming for Diabetic People — No More Shots!
- How Do You Define Addiction?
- If Facebook Is Guessing Your Politics, You’re Probably Safe From Being Pigeon-Holed