Ever wonder what the smallest protein is? Apparently it's TRP-Cage, a protein with only 20 amino acids derived from the saliva of Gila monsters.
Trp-cage - smallest protein
You can find the structure file and images in the PDB database (www.pdb.org) with PDB ID = 1L2Y. This highly stable mini-protein is important for studies of protein stability, protein folding, and 3D structure.
Even with this small size, it displays secondary structural elements, such as an alpha helix, found in many proteins. So far there are no known proteins with less than 20 residues, but we'll see what happens in the future.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- HIP 116454b Shows That Despite Malfunction, Kepler Can Still Find Planets
- Cellular Hydrogen Peroxide - A New Twist On The Free Radical Antioxidant Relationship
- Why I’ll Talk Policy With Climate Change Deniers But Not Science
- You Can Self-identify With Any Ancestry You Want, But Genetically...
- The Evolution Of Trichromatic Color Vision In Humans
- Is Big Data Taking Over The Fashion Industry?
- When Embryonic Stem Cells Don't Know What To Make Of Themselves
- "Judging by the last image - Micrograph from Foldscope - that gadget is very impressive, as is the..."
- "Die Folkband Singt das Lied traditionell O Weihnachtsstern , O Weihnachtsstern !Dein Blätter sind..."
- "You spend a great deal of time on the ideological motivations of climate change deniers, but mistakenly..."
- "Or we can blame my mother. It was to be their senior trip in 1959 but Castro and Che Guevara got..."
- "Solution aversion is very real. Talking about solutions which the climate skeptics could live with..."
- Tooth loss linked to slowing mind and body
- Latest evidence on using hormone replacement therapy for treating menopausal symptoms
- Less than half of UK prescriptions for antipsychotics issued for main licensed conditions
- Don't be tempted to buy your teen a cheap (old) car, parents warned
- The Lancet: Doctor who survived Ebola received experimental drug treatment