Ever wonder what the smallest protein is? Apparently it's TRP-Cage, a protein with only 20 amino acids derived from the saliva of Gila monsters.
Trp-cage - smallest protein
You can find the structure file and images in the PDB database (www.pdb.org) with PDB ID = 1L2Y. This highly stable mini-protein is important for studies of protein stability, protein folding, and 3D structure.
Even with this small size, it displays secondary structural elements, such as an alpha helix, found in many proteins. So far there are no known proteins with less than 20 residues, but we'll see what happens in the future.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- How We Predict Climate Decades Ahead - Yet Can't Forecast Weather Ten Days Ahead - Chaos Patterned With Order
- Is The X(5568) A True Resonance ?
- The Five Stages Of A Dying Theory
- Should Pregnant Women Be Concerned About BPA?
- Time, Wittgenstein And Language Scaffolding
- Russian scientists increase DVD storage capacity million times
- Neanderthals: Not So Dumb
- "Tracy, nobody has pinpointed an orbit for it. When they say that they usually mean that they have..."
- "This is allegationism, that is to say, an assertion that 'people are saying' something but with..."
- "Another quick reply as I'm heavily engaged in translation of an important paper, also writing up..."
- "Hi Mr walker been reading that nibiru is actually a 100% dead cert this time apparently people..."
- "Oh thanks, that's a good one for the Florida Map. Though it only has data for the US. For instance..."
- Another Day, Another Children's Homeopathic Product Recalled
- Annoying Studies’ Series: Newborn Weight Gain (Again!)
- Five PM? Time for Breakfast!
- Include Aerobic Fitness in Physical Exams, Heart Association Recommends
- Female Vervet Monkeys Assault Males that Do Not Participate in Fights
- Vaginal Ring Effective for HIV Infection Prevention