A friend told me this funny anecdote about the construction of a part of the inner tracker of the CDF detector called "ISL", the so-called "intermediate silicon layers" which were constructed in Italy and then sent to Fermilab for installation in the core of CDF.
A technician reports: "When we were finished with the construction and we had to move to Fermilab to install the device, he took extreme care to arrange the shipment of the expensive, sensitive device overseas in three parts, with three separate cargos, such that if a plane had an accident, we would only lose a third of the detector.
...However, he sent us (all the technicians who had done the assembly, and were now needed at Fermilab for the installation) all in the same plane!"
If you are cynical enough to consider the matter from the point of view of the good of the CDF experiment, it is clear why losing the ISL is more damaging to the experiment: one would be able to quickly replace the technicians, while rebuilding the ISL from scratch would take years!
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Bang !! 13 TeV - The Highest Energy Ever Achieved By Mankind ?!
- WISE J224607.57-052635.0, The Most Luminous Galaxy In The Universe
- Mystery Of Morgellons - Disease Or Delusion - Scientific Hypothesis Of Connection With Lyme Disease
- Tanzania's Disappearing Serengeti
- Why Does The Public Worry About GM Foods But Embrace Biotech Medicine?
- NaSt1 - One-Of-A-Kind 'Nasty' Star
- EU Grants Submitted And Won: Some Statistics
- "I don't think anyone would describe an airplane as a subatomic particle! Reading carefully Dorigo..."
- "According to Dorigo, the only right answer will be 4. The reason why he considers others incorrect..."
- "To this point, I had an argument with someone who told me that the urea that you piss is different..."
- "Sound like Full Professor material to me...."
- "#4, I assume. I have no clue how many inverse fb will be needed at 13 TeV to have the most energetic..."
- Study uses farm data to aid in slowing evolution of herbicide-resistant weeds
- Mental 'map' and 'compass' are two separate systems
- Head injuries could result in neurodegenerative disease in rugby union players
- Time is muscle in acute heart failure
- American Indian students disproportionately disciplined compared to white students