A friend told me this funny anecdote about the construction of a part of the inner tracker of the CDF detector called "ISL", the so-called "intermediate silicon layers" which were constructed in Italy and then sent to Fermilab for installation in the core of CDF.
A technician reports: "When we were finished with the construction and we had to move to Fermilab to install the device, he took extreme care to arrange the shipment of the expensive, sensitive device overseas in three parts, with three separate cargos, such that if a plane had an accident, we would only lose a third of the detector.
...However, he sent us (all the technicians who had done the assembly, and were now needed at Fermilab for the installation) all in the same plane!"
If you are cynical enough to consider the matter from the point of view of the good of the CDF experiment, it is clear why losing the ISL is more damaging to the experiment: one would be able to quickly replace the technicians, while rebuilding the ISL from scratch would take years!
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Doomsday Dashboard Makes Tracking The Apocalypse Convenient
- Intellectually Gifted Kids And Learning Disabilities Often Go Hand In Hand
- When Does Quantum Mechanics Become Classical Physics?
- Quantum Games And An Atlas Of Human Thoughts
- 10 Tips For Choosing An Academic Dean
- Dark Matter - Now With More Darkness
- Shrinking Habitats Have Adverse Effects On World Ecosystems
- "Nice article. A good wake up call for educators and psychologists. Failure to..."
- "I can not see any comment yet. Again I do appreciate if one can point out any oversimplification..."
- "That's an interesting thought. Also, the fact that we behave differently on social media. If we..."
- "This got me reading the Wikipedia article on Neuropeptide Y.Implicated in so many processes, one..."
- Positive Preclinical Proof-of-Concept Results For Mitochondrial Protein Replacement Platform in Friedreich's Ataxia
- Severity of seasonal flu may be related to genetic background
- Wearable device helps vision-impaired avoid collision
- First cause: Teenagers shape each other's views on how risky a situation is
- Antarctic ice shelves thinning rapidly