Many thanks to Dennis for linking, from the NYT site, an article I wrote one year ago to comment a crackpotty paper by an otherwise esteemed scientist.
The essay just appeared on the New York Times site is excellent, as always with Overbye, but it is also way more balanced than my rather vitriolic attack on the theory of backward causation and, in particular, the idea that one should use the Large Hadron Collider to test it by deciding to run or not to run based on the turn of a card.
I do not have much to say one year after the fact, but since I honestly believe my early piece is worth a read, I invite you there directly (or you may reach the piece from the NYT one). Happy reading.
Update: Peter Woit discusses the issue here, and he criticizes (not without reason, in hindsight) the possibilistic stand that Overbye has taken on the matter.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Order Patterned With Chaos - How Climate Is Predicted For Decades - With Exact Forecasts Only For Days
- Chess is Smart and Sexy! The Mysterious Psychology of Chess Intelligence 1/3
- Should Pregnant Women Be Concerned About BPA?
- Is The X(5568) A True Resonance ?
- Storytelling Deconstructed: Vonnegut Was Right About Just Six Emotional Story Lines, Says Big Data
- The Five Stages Of A Dying Theory
- Baby Boomers Unbound: Marijuana Surges In The Elderly
- "Thank you mr walker for your time and patience with you have been a big help. Dawn..."
- "Dawn, no there is nothing to be worried about at all. No need to warn anyone. It's just made up..."
- "So do i need to be worried or not do i need to warn anybody or not like tell my family and friends..."
- "Dawn, sorry to hear that you are freaking out about this. I've written up my answer to you as Debunked..."
- "aargh! I forgot you mentioned this promotion....let's see! Thanks...."
- How CSPI Undermines Science, Nutrition, and U.S. Dietary Guidelines
- Americans' Views on Organic and GM Foods Sometimes Align with Science
- Excessive Pubic Hair Grooming Linked to Higher Rates of STIs
- Viagra & Cialis Make Prices Rise, Too, Defying Market Forces
- Americans' Views on Organic and GM Foods Somtimes Align with Science
- CSPI Demands US Government Put A Cancer Warning Label On...Bacon