CMS has recently produced an updated search for black hole production in the 7 TeV proton-proton collisions delivered by the LHC. The data sample now consists of 190 inverse picobarns of collisions collected in 2011, and the limits set on black hole production are more stringent.
The search uses a variable called "S_T", which is the sum of transverse energies of all energetic objects detected in the final state: jets, but also, when present, electrons and muons, as well as photons and missing transverse energy. This variable would be sensitive to the production of black holes, which would produce a enhancement in the high-end of the S_T spectrum. In the figure below you can see what I am talking about, for the subset of events having at least six identified bodies with transverse energy above 50 GeV:
As you can see, the data (black point with error bars) follow the blue background prediction, while enhancements (the dashed curves) would be present at large S_T if black holes existed with the parameter values specified. There are some very high-S_T events in the tail of the distribution, but they are compatible with expected backgrounds; from the agreement, limits can be set on the existence of black holes.
The figure below shows a nice event display, where ten energetic jets are produced together. Calling this a "black-hole candidate" would appear sensationalistic, but it is actually what the CMS experiment does in its public document.
The detector in this graph is seen in its transverse view, just as if you were looking at it from the beam line. Charged tracks are emitted in all directions, and they cluster in 10 different jets of hadrons, which produce as many energy deposits in the calorimeter. The latter are displayed as red and blue bars outside the schematized detector view.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Thank You Guido
- VB-111 Gene Therapy Doubles Survival In Recurrent Glioblastoma
- Replacing Exercise With A Pill
- September 24th, 2015 - Just Another Day In Space - Asteroid Flybys, "Blood Moons" And Armageddon Demystified
- Public Health vs. EU's Tobacco Product Directive: The Battle is Joined
- Online Market For Invasive Plants Is Booming
- Are Viruses Alive?
- "Oh, are you talking about the numbers? The 24 hours with a set tilt of 23.44 degrees (which..."
- "Robert,'WHAT embitters the world is not excess of criticism, but absence of self-criticism.'and'So..."
- "Thanks Robert. I very much appreciate your reply. I read it carefully. It certainly would be classified..."
- "Hi Joe, I've been traveling and limited access because I left my keyboard behind and had to buy..."
- "Well Robert, To put it another way, show me in a compelling manner how this precise system came..."
- Coincidence or conspiracy? Investigating if believers see so much secret design
- 'Greenwashing' actually dirties eco-friendly reputation
- Language about climate change differs between proponents and skeptics
- NASA provides various views of Hurricane Joaquin
- Simulating path of 'magma mush' inside an active volcano