CMS has recently produced an updated search for black hole production in the 7 TeV proton-proton collisions delivered by the LHC. The data sample now consists of 190 inverse picobarns of collisions collected in 2011, and the limits set on black hole production are more stringent.
The search uses a variable called "S_T", which is the sum of transverse energies of all energetic objects detected in the final state: jets, but also, when present, electrons and muons, as well as photons and missing transverse energy. This variable would be sensitive to the production of black holes, which would produce a enhancement in the high-end of the S_T spectrum. In the figure below you can see what I am talking about, for the subset of events having at least six identified bodies with transverse energy above 50 GeV:
As you can see, the data (black point with error bars) follow the blue background prediction, while enhancements (the dashed curves) would be present at large S_T if black holes existed with the parameter values specified. There are some very high-S_T events in the tail of the distribution, but they are compatible with expected backgrounds; from the agreement, limits can be set on the existence of black holes.
The figure below shows a nice event display, where ten energetic jets are produced together. Calling this a "black-hole candidate" would appear sensationalistic, but it is actually what the CMS experiment does in its public document.
The detector in this graph is seen in its transverse view, just as if you were looking at it from the beam line. Charged tracks are emitted in all directions, and they cluster in 10 different jets of hadrons, which produce as many energy deposits in the calorimeter. The latter are displayed as red and blue bars outside the schematized detector view.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- True Weight Loss Is Rare
- What May Be Missing From Quantum Computing - A Quantum Middle Man
- AMVA4NewPhysics Logo
- Genetic Testing In Kids - The Science Isn't Complicated But The Psychology Is
- Patients With Recurrent Depression Have Smaller Hippocampi
- Radiation Detectors Click By Design
- Glacial Quakes As Indicators Of Glacier Disruption
- "Hi Martin,I don't know if women appreciate pink, but it is indeed a stereotype - so a means for..."
- "Good science does not have to be nice. If you had been in a study, we would say that you do appear..."
- "start Ugh. As I noted, I had not heard of the word coordinate tuple before. Expecting me to talk..."
- "hi, Tommaso, * is the stereotyped pink really something that women appreciate? * does the color..."
- "james first you list homicide and suicide by (your cite was that) and then you say we are not talking..."