One scientist has recommended that decreasing tax on alcohol sold in pubs and increasing tax for the supermarket stuff will help UK spend less on alcohol abuse. Argument also goes to support struggling local pubs and restaurant.
Alcohol abuse alone costs about GBP 55 billion and results in ~40k deaths in UK.
This change would also help treasury gain some more revenues that can be used somewhere else.
Kudos English, you keep finding ways to be more comfortable all the time...
In US the hospitalization and death figures are much bigger and the money spent is exponentially higher. Why don't they come up with something like this?
Original is here
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- M60-UCD1: Tiny Galaxy, Supermassive Black Hole
- Longer Telomeres And Genetic Determinant For Melanoma Risk
- Life After The 125 GeV Higgs: What Is Left Of Two-Higgs Doublet Models
- Ig Nobel Prizes 2014: From Jesus On Toast To Baby Feces In Sausages
- UM171: New Molecule Allows For 10X Increase In Adult Stem Cell Transplants
- Watching Neurons Learn: Learning New Ideas Is More Difficult
- Launching America to Space: Enthusiastic Reception for NASA's Commercial Crew Decision
- "Right on, and I have written articles on that issue in the past - by preventing uptake in wealthy..."
- "Genetic algorithms would be a step back toward (simulation of) evolution in isolated testbeds (computer)..."
- "That's all true. However, if you're in a country where a weeks wages amounts to say $20,..."
- "That is not a greed issue, as is commonly portrayed, it is a 'herd immunity' issue. Just like overuse..."
- "The one problem with some of the GM foods isn't the genetics or the modifications...it's that patents..."