One scientist has recommended that decreasing tax on alcohol sold in pubs and increasing tax for the supermarket stuff will help UK spend less on alcohol abuse. Argument also goes to support struggling local pubs and restaurant.
Alcohol abuse alone costs about GBP 55 billion and results in ~40k deaths in UK.
This change would also help treasury gain some more revenues that can be used somewhere else.
Kudos English, you keep finding ways to be more comfortable all the time...
In US the hospitalization and death figures are much bigger and the money spent is exponentially higher. Why don't they come up with something like this?
Original is here
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- CERN And LIP Openings For Graduate Students In Physics - Good $$$
- IQ: Why 1904 Testing Shouldn't Be Used Today
- Poisons Chemists Hate, But You Just Ate
- Our Ethical Responsibilities To Baby Terraformed Worlds - Like Parents
- 100 Years of Einstein’s General Relativity
- Supersymmetry Is About To Be Discovered, Kane Says
- Frankenworm: Heads And Brains Of One Species Grown On Body Of Another
- " It was the National Academy of Sciences in a 1970 report who said DDT had probably saved more..."
- "In which country is 40000 euros *not* high? :-)..."
- "it is really disturbing to see that teaching doesn't learn from it's own best practices.... I found..."
- " What makes this time around more significant than 2003? or 2008? or 2012? Again, what are your..."
- "Don't forget, he lives in a different time zone than the majority of the people who post here...."