One scientist has recommended that decreasing tax on alcohol sold in pubs and increasing tax for the supermarket stuff will help UK spend less on alcohol abuse. Argument also goes to support struggling local pubs and restaurant.
Alcohol abuse alone costs about GBP 55 billion and results in ~40k deaths in UK.
This change would also help treasury gain some more revenues that can be used somewhere else.
Kudos English, you keep finding ways to be more comfortable all the time...
In US the hospitalization and death figures are much bigger and the money spent is exponentially higher. Why don't they come up with something like this?
Original is here
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Sexual Fantasies: Threesomes Are Normal, Golden Showers Not So Much
- Cui Bono? B-corporations And The University
- Okay With Disgusting Images? You Vote This Way 95 Percent Of The Time
- Resveratrol Reverses Benefits Of Exercise - Study
- Aging Brains Aren't Necessarily Declining Brains
- Genetically Modified Stem Cells Kill Brain Tumors
- Vermont GMO Labeling Law Exempts Herbal Supplements Made By Initiative Sponsors
- "Trouble is without citations this article reads like a slew of anecdotes. It begins promisingly..."
- "Do you work for Hank? Or do you just parrot his line of bullshit, and try to legitimize it with..."
- "Yes, that is why I wrote it that way, precisely because they are all watching the thinker...."
- "Sort of. As foreign countries go I have most affection for Great Britain. I have much..."
- Two-faced anti-GMO groups: Block crop and food innovations then claim Big Ag prevents GMO innovations
- Why support erodes for GMO labeling (Hint: It’s not because of spending by Big Ag)
- Genetic “hall of mirrors” with large palindromes, yet smaller: What’s mighty about the mouse
- Gut bacteria an easy scapegoat for disease, but connections hard to prove
- Vermont Rube Goldberg-like GMO labeling law exempts GMO filled natural supplements
- Downside to GMOs: Yields have become so good, they exceed processing capacity
- More penalties on the way for hospitals that treat the poor? New U-M study suggests so
- Cancer cell fingerprints in the blood may speed up childhood cancer diagnosis
- Study of Chile earthquake finds new rock structure that affects earthquake rupture
- Tracking a gigantic sunspot across the Sun
- Massive geographic change may have triggered explosion of animal life
Books By Writers Here