One scientist has recommended that decreasing tax on alcohol sold in pubs and increasing tax for the supermarket stuff will help UK spend less on alcohol abuse. Argument also goes to support struggling local pubs and restaurant.
Alcohol abuse alone costs about GBP 55 billion and results in ~40k deaths in UK.
This change would also help treasury gain some more revenues that can be used somewhere else.
Kudos English, you keep finding ways to be more comfortable all the time...
In US the hospitalization and death figures are much bigger and the money spent is exponentially higher. Why don't they come up with something like this?
Original is here
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- "I thankyou for providing me and my friends with good chuckles. What you mean by tested is not what..."
- "Not among millions, just hundreds. Can anyone provide evidence for Roberts first sentence. The..."
- "It's really unfortunate that you're working so hard to discredit all of Chinese medicine just because..."
- "Qing hao has been used by indigenous people in the orient to combat malaria for a long time, even..."
- "It is unlikely anyone did anything to you. And most of the slaves - before importation was outlawed..."
- Why Is Mother Jones So Afraid Of Science? And Journalism?
- Weight-Loss Surgery Improves Health of Some Diabetics
- Ben Carson Bungles Again, Treating Cancer with Supplements
- No Vax, No School: US Supreme Court Backs NY State
- Remaking the Peanut to Make Schools Safer
- Ancient Chinese Medicine Not Magical, Nobel Prize or Not
- Adoption of streamlined breast cancer treatment has stagnated, study finds
- Single atom alloy platinum-copper catalysts cut costs, boost green technology
- Scientists pave way for diamonds to trace early cancers
- Long-term contraception in a single shot
- When should pediatric residents consult supervisors on issues that come up after hours?