Incontinentia pigmenti is a rare genodermatosis also called Bloch-Sulzberger syndrome or Bloch-Siemens, that shows early at birth or in the neonatal period.In its classical form,the cutaneous symptomatology develops through three steps.
1st step, with evidence of injuries, of erythematic-vescicular-blistered kind and one wave after another, linearly positioned and involving upper body and limbs;haematic hypereosinophilia is also present.
2nd step, that pops up between the second and the sixty life-week with papulo-lichenoid injuries,hyperkeratosic and warty, looking as elongatad striae in the distal limbs section ( knee, foot-and hand back ).
3rd step, when at third-sixth month of life dark pigmented spots appear at the upper body level, positioned like a vortex, a whirl or spurts.
Such chronology may be different form from the above and furthermore the relationship among the injuries sequence has not been already explained.
In its achromating form,incontinentia pigmenti is known as "Ito disease". Incontinentia pigmenti is linked, in 80% of occurrencies, to other anomalies:
- Neurological anomalies in 30% of occurrencies, with motor-spastic involvment, convulsions, intellective impairment.
- Ocular anomalies in 35% of cases, with 7,5 of induced blindness ( cataract, retinitis, uveitis, optic nerve atrophy ).
- Dental anomalies in 65% occurrencies.
- Alopecia 38% of cases.
- Onychodystrophya 7% of occurrencies.
Late studies in molecular genetics identified the origin of incontinentia pigmenti in the failure of a gene named NEMO, placed on X-chromosome. Therefore, while the genetic mutation - in its very evident form - turns out to be fatal to the male foetuses (that do not reach full-term), on the other hand the presence of two X-chromosomes in the females seems to drive to survival and to the disease emergence. (Abstract).
Prof. Camillo O. Di Cicco, MD
Presented to "3td EUROSKIN Conference - Stockholm, Sweden".
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Cosmic Rays Jeopardize Deep-Space Astronaut Missions
- Great Earthquakes Doubled In The Most Recent 10 Year Period - What That Means
- What Americans Fear Most Isn't Ebola Or Terrorism, It's...
- Science Left Behind: The Anti-Vaccine Update Update
- Slavery In America: Back In The Headlines
- Most Published Medical Research Is False - But It Can Be Better
- Why Climate 'Uncertainty' Is No Excuse For Doing Nothing
- "Vaccination of any type was associated with *increased* risk of a CNS ADS onset within the first..."
- "Good comment shining genji, but some people do not need fancy arguments to uphold their status..."
- "The terms you use repeatedly and your circlic logic reeks of one religious group, maybe you just..."
- "why are you in all the arguments? Teach me how to get into more arguments. Also, teach me wft to..."
- "So if spirituality is selected for, that has nothing to do with evolution. If that is the case..."
- An end to fat shaming? The 50 year DNA mystery of metabolic dysfunction may soon be solved
- Egg freezing: a smart career move?
- Women carry fetal DNA long after children’s birth
- Despite resistance, China will dominate future of GMOs
- Should Science and Nature run advertorial by wacky Dr. Bronner’s that misleads on GMOs?
- Jack the Ripper’s identity remains a mystery after error in DNA analysis revealed
- Teenage self-harm linked to problems in later life
- Unsteady on your feet? Little touches could make all the difference
- Promising blood biomarkers identified for colorectal cancer: Is a screening blood test within reach?
- Studies must be carried out to determine whether exercise slows the onset of type 1 diabetes in children and adults
- Clot dissolver tPA's tardy twin could aid in stroke recovery