Incontinentia pigmenti is a rare genodermatosis also called Bloch-Sulzberger syndrome or Bloch-Siemens, that shows early at birth or in the neonatal period.In its classical form,the cutaneous symptomatology develops through three steps.
1st step, with evidence of injuries, of erythematic-vescicular-blistered kind and one wave after another, linearly positioned and involving upper body and limbs;haematic hypereosinophilia is also present.
2nd step, that pops up between the second and the sixty life-week with papulo-lichenoid injuries,hyperkeratosic and warty, looking as elongatad striae in the distal limbs section ( knee, foot-and hand back ).
3rd step, when at third-sixth month of life dark pigmented spots appear at the upper body level, positioned like a vortex, a whirl or spurts.
Such chronology may be different form from the above and furthermore the relationship among the injuries sequence has not been already explained.
In its achromating form,incontinentia pigmenti is known as "Ito disease". Incontinentia pigmenti is linked, in 80% of occurrencies, to other anomalies:
- Neurological anomalies in 30% of occurrencies, with motor-spastic involvment, convulsions, intellective impairment.
- Ocular anomalies in 35% of cases, with 7,5 of induced blindness ( cataract, retinitis, uveitis, optic nerve atrophy ).
- Dental anomalies in 65% occurrencies.
- Alopecia 38% of cases.
- Onychodystrophya 7% of occurrencies.
Late studies in molecular genetics identified the origin of incontinentia pigmenti in the failure of a gene named NEMO, placed on X-chromosome. Therefore, while the genetic mutation - in its very evident form - turns out to be fatal to the male foetuses (that do not reach full-term), on the other hand the presence of two X-chromosomes in the females seems to drive to survival and to the disease emergence. (Abstract).
Prof. Camillo O. Di Cicco, MD
Presented to "3td EUROSKIN Conference - Stockholm, Sweden".
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Kudos To "The Independent" Newspaper For Debunking Nibiru "Blood Moon" Hoax
- Dogs Understand Both Vocabulary And Intonation Of Human Speech
- Climate Change Has Less Impact On Drought Than Previously Expected
- Your Microbiome Did Not Cause Your Weight Problem
- Fewer Cardiovascular Drugs Being Studied In Clinical Trials
- State Of Academic Freedom 2016
- USDA Microbiologist Warns Bacteria In Vaping Products May Be A Health Concern
- "Apparently planet 9 exists. Not Nobiru but another dwarf planet. This planet could destroy a couple..."
- "Thank you. You know, I am of the firm belief that if a blog has a title that includes Science in..."
- "Firstly, I want to inform everyone apart from Kaylee that the following doesn't apply to the topic..."
- "Hello again Robert, Once again, thank you for your informative reply. It's wonderful to still find..."
- "Hi Margaret, thanks, glad you like my replay, and any views are welcome here :). It's only trolling..."
- <a href="/news/2016/08/30/some-sugars-help-babies-thrive-9934">Some Sugars Help Babies Thrive <i class="fa fa-angle-double-right"></i></a>
- <a href="/annual-reports">Annual Reports <i class="fa fa-angle-double-right"></i></a>
- <a href="/news/2016/08/29/icymi-acshs-most-popular-articles-summer-9931">ICYMI: ACSH's Most Popular Articles of the Summer <i class="fa fa-angle-double-right"></i></a>
- How Herpes Drugs Work
- The Infrared Sauna: Hollywood's Hot, Pricey 'Magic' Box
- E-Cigarette Flavors, Biotech Courts And More Media Links
- Progress in refining the genetic causes of schizophrenia
- Researchers discover machines can learn by simply observing
- Technique could assess historic changes to Antarctic sea ice and glaciers
- Factors associated with improvement in survival following heart attack
- System may help treat rare genetic disorder, reduce severe side effects