Incontinentia pigmenti is a rare genodermatosis also called Bloch-Sulzberger syndrome or Bloch-Siemens, that shows early at birth or in the neonatal period.In its classical form,the cutaneous symptomatology develops through three steps.
1st step, with evidence of injuries, of erythematic-vescicular-blistered kind and one wave after another, linearly positioned and involving upper body and limbs;haematic hypereosinophilia is also present.
2nd step, that pops up between the second and the sixty life-week with papulo-lichenoid injuries,hyperkeratosic and warty, looking as elongatad striae in the distal limbs section ( knee, foot-and hand back ).
3rd step, when at third-sixth month of life dark pigmented spots appear at the upper body level, positioned like a vortex, a whirl or spurts.
Such chronology may be different form from the above and furthermore the relationship among the injuries sequence has not been already explained.
In its achromating form,incontinentia pigmenti is known as "Ito disease". Incontinentia pigmenti is linked, in 80% of occurrencies, to other anomalies:
- Neurological anomalies in 30% of occurrencies, with motor-spastic involvment, convulsions, intellective impairment.
- Ocular anomalies in 35% of cases, with 7,5 of induced blindness ( cataract, retinitis, uveitis, optic nerve atrophy ).
- Dental anomalies in 65% occurrencies.
- Alopecia 38% of cases.
- Onychodystrophya 7% of occurrencies.
Late studies in molecular genetics identified the origin of incontinentia pigmenti in the failure of a gene named NEMO, placed on X-chromosome. Therefore, while the genetic mutation - in its very evident form - turns out to be fatal to the male foetuses (that do not reach full-term), on the other hand the presence of two X-chromosomes in the females seems to drive to survival and to the disease emergence. (Abstract).
Prof. Camillo O. Di Cicco, MD
Presented to "3td EUROSKIN Conference - Stockholm, Sweden".
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- How We Predict Climate Decades Ahead - Yet Can't Forecast Weather Ten Days Ahead - Chaos Patterned With Order
- Should Pregnant Women Be Concerned About BPA?
- The Five Stages Of A Dying Theory
- Time, Wittgenstein And Language Scaffolding
- Russian scientists increase DVD storage capacity million times
- Neanderthals: Not So Dumb
- When Salt Is An Endocrine Disruptor, The Term Is Officially Meaningless
- "What is truth? Anyone can say that X exists or that Y happened. A seeker after truth requires evidence..."
- "I would add the UK's Daily Express to the list. If there is a way to distort a news story..."
- "Tommaso - thank you for mentioning something new to me, namely the look-elsewhere effect.Someone..."
- "Brilliant! You seem to have covered all of the most important facts.Typo: was this..."
- "Websites like thelabbible and Unilad are all about clickbait. There is no true journalism within..."
- Annoying Studies’ Series: Newborn Weight Gain (Again!)
- Five PM? Time for Breakfast!
- Include Aerobic Fitness in Physical Exams, Heart Association Recommends
- Female Vervet Monkeys Assault Males that Do Not Participate in Fights
- Vaginal Ring Effective for HIV Infection Prevention
- Winter is No Wonderland