Incontinentia pigmenti is a rare genodermatosis also called Bloch-Sulzberger syndrome or Bloch-Siemens, that shows early at birth or in the neonatal period.In its classical form,the cutaneous symptomatology develops through three steps.
1st step, with evidence of injuries, of erythematic-vescicular-blistered kind and one wave after another, linearly positioned and involving upper body and limbs;haematic hypereosinophilia is also present.
2nd step, that pops up between the second and the sixty life-week with papulo-lichenoid injuries,hyperkeratosic and warty, looking as elongatad striae in the distal limbs section ( knee, foot-and hand back ).
3rd step, when at third-sixth month of life dark pigmented spots appear at the upper body level, positioned like a vortex, a whirl or spurts.
Such chronology may be different form from the above and furthermore the relationship among the injuries sequence has not been already explained.
In its achromating form,incontinentia pigmenti is known as "Ito disease". Incontinentia pigmenti is linked, in 80% of occurrencies, to other anomalies:
- Neurological anomalies in 30% of occurrencies, with motor-spastic involvment, convulsions, intellective impairment.
- Ocular anomalies in 35% of cases, with 7,5 of induced blindness ( cataract, retinitis, uveitis, optic nerve atrophy ).
- Dental anomalies in 65% occurrencies.
- Alopecia 38% of cases.
- Onychodystrophya 7% of occurrencies.
Late studies in molecular genetics identified the origin of incontinentia pigmenti in the failure of a gene named NEMO, placed on X-chromosome. Therefore, while the genetic mutation - in its very evident form - turns out to be fatal to the male foetuses (that do not reach full-term), on the other hand the presence of two X-chromosomes in the females seems to drive to survival and to the disease emergence. (Abstract).
Prof. Camillo O. Di Cicco, MD
Presented to "3td EUROSKIN Conference - Stockholm, Sweden".
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- The Politics And Economics Of Net Neutrality
- While The Roman Empire Collapsed, Trade Thrived
- Why Women Don't Run For Political Office
- Perceived Risk Of Disease Prompts Action
- Immigration Recitivism: Illegal Immigrants Who Go To Jail More Likely To Be Rearrested Later
- Equality: Not Just Mean Girls At School, Teenage Boys Can Be Awful Too
- Orion Test Flight a Critical Step on NASA's Journey to Mars
- "This research has virtually no bearing on the problem of AGW. Survival of early life is not the..."
- "I would have also checked vitamin D status. UVA breaks down vitamin A..."
- "Every day it is becoming harder to subscribe to the 'Fanaticism Of The Apocalypse' as it is applied..."
- "Curious conversation tactic. By the warming in the 1930s I guess you mean the small part of the..."
- "Though high-profile tragedies get mainstream media attention, the gun ban contingent has lost a..."
- Researcher to cancer: 'Resistance will be futile'
- New hope for rare disease drug development
- Life expectancy increases globally as death toll falls from major diseases
- The Lancet: World population gains more than 6 years of life expectancy since 1990
- Big data may be fashion industry's next must-have accessory
Books By Writers Here