A case is reported of a 28 year old man referring the appearance of swollen blisters due to insignificant trauma since birth. Later he noticed progressive changes of the skin as teleangectasies, atrophic spots, sensivity to sun, dystrohic fingermails and webbing between fingers.The patient was hospitalized several times for an appropriate diagnosis and asked for the permission to undergo an operation of plastic surgery in Paris to correct webbing of the hands.
The rare association of two congenital diseases, epidermolysis bullosa dystrophica and poikiloderma, leads to the diagnosis of a Kindler syndrome.
The Kindler Syndrome described by Theresa Kindler in 1954 is probably a variant of hereditary acrokeratotic Poikiloderma in which Poikiloderma is preceded by a tendency to blistering following traumatic blisters.
There are not many ultrastructural studies on this syndrome. The ultrastructural level of blister formation has not been well characterized. The cutis of the hand back of our patient has been examined at the electronic microscope and it shows a thinned epidermis with a normal keratinization and a compact corneous ortokeratosic layer. A dermo epidermic flaking is noticed in several points and at different levels.Since the first description in 1954 approximately 70 cases have been reported worldwide.
KINDLER SYNDROME (Abstract)
Prof. Camillo O. DI CICCO, M.D.
Presented to VIth Congress of the European Society for Pediatric Dermatology.
Courtesy of "DermAtlas-Johns Hopkins University"
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- A Statistics Session At A Particle Physics Conference ?
- Beekeepers Can Be Hazardous To Bees
- Crossref To Accept Preprints In Change To Long-standing Policy
- Young Bisexual Women More Susceptible To Depression
- Wildlife Loss In Tropical Forests Is Bad News For Everyone
- The Number Of My Publications Has Four Digits
- The Venus Flytrap: From Prey To Predator
- "It could also be worth mentioning the eBook version is available for a 7 day free trial on Amazon..."
- "And BTW, I'll look forward to reading the book anyway. Always good to stay current. Scott...."
- "Truly astonishing. Honestly. my background was originally astrophysics but morphed into other fields..."
- "We seem to be getting numerous studies each year that say the same thing - that red meat and processed..."
- " Seems there's a repeating effect in this; if you feed something it grows and when once you start..."
- Blood analyses may predict risk of delirium in older surgical patients
- Design tool enables novices to create bendable input devices for computers
- DMP 'rheumatoid arthritis': Guidelines cover important health care aspects
- Australian swift parrot listed as critically endangered
- Does the moon affect our mood or actions?