A case is reported of a 28 year old man referring the appearance of swollen blisters due to insignificant trauma since birth. Later he noticed progressive changes of the skin as teleangectasies, atrophic spots, sensivity to sun, dystrohic fingermails and webbing between fingers.The patient was hospitalized several times for an appropriate diagnosis and asked for the permission to undergo an operation of plastic surgery in Paris to correct webbing of the hands.
The rare association of two congenital diseases, epidermolysis bullosa dystrophica and poikiloderma, leads to the diagnosis of a Kindler syndrome.
The Kindler Syndrome described by Theresa Kindler in 1954 is probably a variant of hereditary acrokeratotic Poikiloderma in which Poikiloderma is preceded by a tendency to blistering following traumatic blisters.
There are not many ultrastructural studies on this syndrome. The ultrastructural level of blister formation has not been well characterized. The cutis of the hand back of our patient has been examined at the electronic microscope and it shows a thinned epidermis with a normal keratinization and a compact corneous ortokeratosic layer. A dermo epidermic flaking is noticed in several points and at different levels.Since the first description in 1954 approximately 70 cases have been reported worldwide.
KINDLER SYNDROME (Abstract)
Prof. Camillo O. DI CICCO, M.D.
Presented to VIth Congress of the European Society for Pediatric Dermatology.
Courtesy of "DermAtlas-Johns Hopkins University"
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- War On Doping And The Hypocritical Treatment Of Lance Armstrong
- How Marijuana Use Affects People With Bipolar Disorder
- Avoid These 3 Risk Factors, Gain 13 Years Of Quality Life
- The New York Times On Drugs - Wrong, Naive Or Misleading?
- The Borexino Detector And Its Physics Results
- Why Are Girls More Likely To Die In Pediatric Intensive Care Units?
- 1840s Shipwreck Leads To Important Beer Science Discovery
- "I think it would be very difficult to scientifically assess the effects of marijuana use on people..."
- "Actually that's exactly what the bible is all about real Aliens, not religion. So may i have one..."
- "Addiction is completely fake. Their goal is to push more people into 12 Step 'treatment' which..."
- "dave, you are proving to all your profound ignorance and worse you are revelling in it. How sad..."
- "You've touched on something that drives me insane-- the under-medication of dying patients by hospitals..."
- Grand tree of life: clock-like trend in new species emergence and diversity
- 7 promising compounds in spider venom with potential to relieve chronic pain
- Antiseptic prevents deaths in newborns
- Cellular sequencing technology provides deeper look at mitochondrial inherited disease risk
- Australian science infrastructure funding is being held hostage by government