At Cairo museum, on Queen Hatshepsut’s tomb in Deir el Bahari,it shows the chief Parihou with his wife Ati, Queen of Punt, (an area not still geographically established: Yemen, Somalia, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Sudan?) while they offer gifts to the Egyptian Queen Hatshepsut (1516-1481 BC).
A naval expedition to the mysterious land of Punt was undertaken in the summer of Hatshepsut’s eighth year as queen; she sent a fleet of five ships, headed by her Chancellor Senenmet. The Queen of Punt shows a rugged face, gluteal and femoral obesity, hyperlordosis and symmetrical deposits of fat on the trunk, limbs and thighs.
Bioanthropological and medical geneticists have studied the Queen of Punt, even though she died nearly 34 centuries ago, in order to place a precise diagnosis, but with difficulties such as not having a mummy for such disposition. Moreover the clinical picture seems to be a single phenotype grouping several dermatologic pathologies (Launois Bensaude’ Lipomatosis, Neurofibromatosis, Lipodystrophy, Dercum disease, Achondroplasia, Proteus syndrome and X linked dominant hypophosphatemic rickets, Familial obesity) therefore I share the same opinion of Farag, Sabry and Iskantar and consequently hypothesize that it can be coined a new pathology named “Queen of Punt Syndrome.” (Abstract)
Prof. Camillo O. DI CICCO, M.D.
14th Congress of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology, London, UK.
1.TI Farag, MA Sabry, A Iskandar,1999. Journal of the American of Human Genetics, October, Supplement Abstract#803.
2. Bradbury Louise.1988."Reflections on Travelling to 'God's Land' and Punt in the Middle Kingdom". Journal of the American Research Center in Egypt 25:127-156.
3. Kitchen Kenneth Anderson. 1971."Punt and How to get There". Orientalia 40:184-207.
4. Meeks Dimitri.2003."Locating Punt"In Mysterious Lands,edited by David B. O'Connor and Stephen G.J.Quirke. Encounters with Ancient Egypt 5. London:Institute of Archeology, University College London and Press. 53-80.ISBN 1-84472-004-7.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Lettuces Now, What Next - Could Astronauts Get All Their Oxygen And Food From Algae Or Plants?
- Artificial Intelligence: It's Time To Talk About What Emotions We Want AI To Have
- Brain Size Matters When It Comes To Remembering
- Innate GMO Potato Deregulated By USDA
- Most Idiotic Rejection Of Course From Philosopher Of Science Not Grasping Relativity
- An Historical Moment For Diabetes
- Will You Murder Your Wife?
- "Without a magnetic field on Mars, it should be patently obvious that terraforming attempts would..."
- "For instance would it be possible to measure the g-factor of the top quark? A dirac particle should..."
- "Dr. Federoff is wrong about golden rice being tied up in the regulatory process for more than a..."
- "Turbine operators have an inate drive to reduce all kinds of noise in their turbines - noise is..."
- "This is just warmed-over socialism and amateur Malthusian rhetoric - we have to cull the herd,..."
- Fish oil diet versus gut microbes
- Naps linked to reduced blood pressure and fewer medications
- Why girls are less interested in computer science: Classrooms are too 'geeky'
- Frogs make irrational choices - and what means for understanding animal mating
- Depression, blood pressure extremes predict highest rates of vascular events
Books By Writers Here