Journalists can't seem to write an article about Humboldt squid without mentioning their "Mexican name" diablo rojo. But in all my squid trips to the Gulf of California, I've never yet heard a Mexican fisherman use that term. At the squid festival, la cuarta gran feria del calamar gigante, in Guaymas, Sonora, there was no mention, ever, of el diablo rojo. The Humboldt is calamar gigante, and that's that.
But diablo rojo has become so prevalent in news coverage of this species that I wonder if the media will end up creating their own reality? If enough Americans, Mexicans, and others keep reading that Humboldts are commonly called diablos rojos, will it become true?
That would kind of annoy me.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- The Evolution Of Trichromatic Color Vision In Humans
- HIP 116454b Shows That Despite Malfunction, Kepler Can Still Find Planets
- Why Chinese Biotech Cotton Doesn't Lead To Pest Resistance, Even Without Non-Bt Refuges
- When Embryonic Stem Cells Don't Know What To Make Of Themselves
- A Line In The Sea: NOAA Picks 'Tipping Points' For Sea Level Related Flooding
- Worldwide, Life Expectancy Has Gone Up Over 6 Years Since 1990
- Why I’ll Talk Policy With Climate Change Deniers But Not Science
- "Judging by the last image - Micrograph from Foldscope - that gadget is very impressive, as is the..."
- "Die Folkband Singt das Lied traditionell O Weihnachtsstern , O Weihnachtsstern !Dein Blätter sind..."
- "You spend a great deal of time on the ideological motivations of climate change deniers, but mistakenly..."
- "Or we can blame my mother. It was to be their senior trip in 1959 but Castro and Che Guevara got..."
- "Solution aversion is very real. Talking about solutions which the climate skeptics could live with..."
- Tooth loss linked to slowing mind and body
- Latest evidence on using hormone replacement therapy for treating menopausal symptoms
- Less than half of UK prescriptions for antipsychotics issued for main licensed conditions
- Don't be tempted to buy your teen a cheap (old) car, parents warned
- The Lancet: Doctor who survived Ebola received experimental drug treatment
Books By Writers Here