Journalists can't seem to write an article about Humboldt squid without mentioning their "Mexican name" diablo rojo. But in all my squid trips to the Gulf of California, I've never yet heard a Mexican fisherman use that term. At the squid festival, la cuarta gran feria del calamar gigante, in Guaymas, Sonora, there was no mention, ever, of el diablo rojo. The Humboldt is calamar gigante, and that's that.
But diablo rojo has become so prevalent in news coverage of this species that I wonder if the media will end up creating their own reality? If enough Americans, Mexicans, and others keep reading that Humboldts are commonly called diablos rojos, will it become true?
That would kind of annoy me.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Suggestion: The EM Drive Is Getting The Appropriate Level Of Attention From The Science Community
- Will Aspartame Critics Now Be Less Bitter?
- GMOs Have Formaldehyde? Bizarre Claim Challenged By Experts
- Bang! Meet The Highest-Energy Hadron Collision Ever Imaged!
- Bees: Activists Remain Silent While This Pollinator Killer Decimates Millions
- (Well)-Paid PhD Position In Physics Offered In Padova, Italy
- It's Naive To Pretend Differences Between Women And Men Are Just Genetics
- "Okay, first, yes, a photon has zero rest mass, but a photon rocket isn't reactionless, because..."
- "Umm, nope if you hold 9.8 milligrams in your hand, the downward force you feel is a micronewton..."
- "Thanks deltaMass, fixed :)...."
- "It's a fake metric anyway. Why not use Cuba? They have great infant mortality - and thus average..."
- "Well written article, Robert. This stands in stark contrast to a lot of the mush, woolly thinking..."
- Environmental activists are ignoring the real bee killer
- Corporate leader’s science creds under attack
- Rare bacteria cause outbreak in NYC
- John Stossel rips the EPA and NRDC too. Because they’re practically the same thing
- Fact checking pHony water
- Hopewell NJ votes gas pipeline off the island; why not shut down your entire energy supply to save Mother Earth?
- How bees naturally vaccinate their babies
- Mild hypothermia in deceased organ donors improves organ function in kidney transplant
- Trying to quit smoking? First strengthen self-control
- Paralyzed men move legs thanks to non-invasive spinal cord stimulation
- California 'rain debt' equal to average full year of precipitation