Journalists can't seem to write an article about Humboldt squid without mentioning their "Mexican name" diablo rojo. But in all my squid trips to the Gulf of California, I've never yet heard a Mexican fisherman use that term. At the squid festival, la cuarta gran feria del calamar gigante, in Guaymas, Sonora, there was no mention, ever, of el diablo rojo. The Humboldt is calamar gigante, and that's that.
But diablo rojo has become so prevalent in news coverage of this species that I wonder if the media will end up creating their own reality? If enough Americans, Mexicans, and others keep reading that Humboldts are commonly called diablos rojos, will it become true?
That would kind of annoy me.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Hugh Hefner's Wife Was Not Poisoned By Breast Implants
- Why Has Climate Change Taken So Long?
- Neural Networks: Why Human Brains Are More Susceptible To Mental Illness Than Smaller Ones
- Book News And A Clip
- Odds of Intelligent life on the TRAPPIST-1 planets : NOT Great.
- Mind The (Risk Perception) Gap On BPA
- New Organic Battery Made Using Vitamin B2
- "An electronic version will be published, but the printed matter will come first.Best,T...."
- "Many thanks for spotting this. I contacted the typesetting team and they'll fix this (uniforming..."
- "Dear Robert Thank you for your swift reply. It really is appreciated. Thank you, that does help..."
- "Thanks. I'll upload your picture here so I can reply online so others can see the answer also (and..."
- "Dear Robert I've sent the picture to you now. I'll look forward to your response. Thank you...."
- Collective hum: Buzzing midges inspire new swarm theory
- Mount Sinai researchers identify way to predict and prevent damage in donated kidneys
- For whom the births (and worms) toll
- Russian physicists discover a new approach for building quantum computers
- Lack of sleep increases a child's risk for emotional disorders later