Journalists can't seem to write an article about Humboldt squid without mentioning their "Mexican name" diablo rojo. But in all my squid trips to the Gulf of California, I've never yet heard a Mexican fisherman use that term. At the squid festival, la cuarta gran feria del calamar gigante, in Guaymas, Sonora, there was no mention, ever, of el diablo rojo. The Humboldt is calamar gigante, and that's that.
But diablo rojo has become so prevalent in news coverage of this species that I wonder if the media will end up creating their own reality? If enough Americans, Mexicans, and others keep reading that Humboldts are commonly called diablos rojos, will it become true?
That would kind of annoy me.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- How Gut Bacteria Ensure A Healthy Brain – and Could Play A Role In Treating Depression
- Researchers Created A Laser Bullet To See What It Would Look Like - And Here It Is
- The Strange Organic Molecules In Titan's Atmosphere
- We're Too Late To Prevent 137,000 More Ebola Cases, Says Epidemiology Paper
- The Quote Of The Week - Shocked And Disappointed
- Type 1 Diabetes Surges In White Kids
- It Takes More Than Singing To Strike A Chord In Music Education
- "I found the AMO/PDO charts to be very broad, and hard to tell (at least with the limited knowledge..."
- "I have dabbled with AMO and PDO, but it really needs to be more of a comparison to SST's, at which..."
- "The UN with it's small direct Ebola budget is hiring Ebola survivors to take care of sick kids..."
- "Ebola patients are sometimes thought of as Zombies returning from the dead. If one is low in fluids..."
- "In a universe of infinite realities, maybe there is one where homeopathy works. Just not in this..."
- Leftist dystopia? Anti-technology fever animates opposition to GMOs and other ‘disruptive’ technologies
- CDC faced a nearly impossible balancing act with Ebola, and failed
- Why Chobani reversed course, making yoghurt only from milk from cows not fed GMO grain
- Monterey, California, hotbed of anti-GMO activism, home to new GMO corn farm
- Evolution is sometimes messy or even outright ridiculous
- Rich and famous embrace Vandana Shiva, wealthy self-described savior of the poor