Squid typically die after spawning. Their orphaned eggs are left alone in the cold brine to develop and hatch, never knowing a mother's tender caress.
But as in all of biology, there are exceptions.
It's strangely appropriate that the second of these exceptions has entered, stage left, just as I am preparing to exit, stage right, in order to engage in the intensive parental care typical of humans. I'll be spawning within the next few weeks, and taking a hiatus from the blogosphere to focus on my in-home developmental biology experiment.
So let me leave you with the remarkable image of a mama squid caring for her young--only the second species of brooding squid to be discovered, ever! And by some of my favorite people, too: Stephanie Bush, Henk-Jan Hoving, Chrissy Huffard, Bruce Robison, and Lou Zeidberg. Here's Figure 1 from their hot-off-the-presses paper Brooding and sperm storage by the deep-sea squid Bathyteuthis berryi:
A. Mama holding her eggs. B. Zoom on the egg sheet. C. Zoom-zoom on the embryos.
As my own hatchling grows, I may re-emerge on social networks before I start blogging again, so if you want to make sure you don't miss any squiddy goodness, you can follow me on Google+, Twitter, or Facebook.
In the meantime, the internet hosts many other superb sources of cephalopod news, most notably TONMO. And Deep-Sea News rarely misses a good squid story, especially with their new mascot.
Keep it tentacular, friends!
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Schrödinger's Cat Is Not Just Alive And Dead, He's Both In 2 Places At Once
- Mindfulness Is Not A Waste Of Time
- B0 Meson Lifetime Difference Measured By ATLAS
- Case For Moon: Humanity's Gateway To The Solar System - Open Ended Exploration With Planetary Protection At Its Heart
- Malnutrition Results From More Than Just Inadequate Diet
- Sweet Irony: The Environmental Impacts Of GMO Sugar Science Denial
- Voluntary Birth Control To Stop Climate Change - Or Else
- "Four paragraphs in I hit delete. I'm just going to wish you the best in all things...."
- "Oh rightio. I should add something about that as background for those who haven't come across the..."
- "Okay. Read it. Liked about half The part I found most startling was the meaning of the phrase,..."
- "I didn't think to add, of course you can also share sterilized distilled water with an ETI - if..."
- "this must be mystery, Cat Mystery. lol..."