Squid typically die after spawning. Their orphaned eggs are left alone in the cold brine to develop and hatch, never knowing a mother's tender caress.
But as in all of biology, there are exceptions.
It's strangely appropriate that the second of these exceptions has entered, stage left, just as I am preparing to exit, stage right, in order to engage in the intensive parental care typical of humans. I'll be spawning within the next few weeks, and taking a hiatus from the blogosphere to focus on my in-home developmental biology experiment.
So let me leave you with the remarkable image of a mama squid caring for her young--only the second species of brooding squid to be discovered, ever! And by some of my favorite people, too: Stephanie Bush, Henk-Jan Hoving, Chrissy Huffard, Bruce Robison, and Lou Zeidberg. Here's Figure 1 from their hot-off-the-presses paper Brooding and sperm storage by the deep-sea squid Bathyteuthis berryi:
A. Mama holding her eggs. B. Zoom on the egg sheet. C. Zoom-zoom on the embryos.
As my own hatchling grows, I may re-emerge on social networks before I start blogging again, so if you want to make sure you don't miss any squiddy goodness, you can follow me on Google+, Twitter, or Facebook.
In the meantime, the internet hosts many other superb sources of cephalopod news, most notably TONMO. And Deep-Sea News rarely misses a good squid story, especially with their new mascot.
Keep it tentacular, friends!
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Lichen: Apparently Happy Couple Really A Threesome
- Why An Extra Planet Can't Be Hidden Behind The Sun Or Above The South Pole
- The Daily Physics Problem - 1
- The Daily Physics Problem - 2
- Curcumin And Silymarin Plant Compounds Give '1-2' Punch To Colon Cancer
- Are Think Tanks More Credible To Government Employees? Not Really
- Hugh Hefner's Wife Was Not Poisoned By Breast Implants
- "Here are a fewPlanet Nibiru is not real. by Earth and Sky chief editor Bruce McClure ..."
- "Okay, just to pick up on one thing. First, the NASA rover are tested in various deserts, and so..."
- "The moon landings was fake actually all the Apollo missions were fear of the cold war and countries..."
- "Its fairly hard to belive one person who says its not real to the thousands of people who say it..."
- "Small correction: her diagnosis of Lyme disease is also highly dubious. There is a growing cult..."
- Parasite proteins prompt immune system to fight off ovarian tumors in mice
- Behavioral activation as effective as CBT for depression, at lower cost
- The Lancet: Simpler, cheaper psychological treatment as effective as cognitive behavioural therapy for treating depression
- Ultrasensitive sensor using N-doped graphene
- Brain activity and response to food cues differ in severely obese women, UTSW study shows