Dear Squid of the World,
Excuse me. What is this? I have been your friend and advocate for years. No, DECADES. (Two, to be specific.) I have championed your cause to family and friends, students and total strangers. I wore the shirts. I read the books. I even got a PEE AITCH DEE in the science of baby squid. I think I've earned a modicum of consideration. A smidgeon of thoughtfulness.
But no. I go on maternity leave to care for my firstborn and what do you do? Everything.
In the three months since my daughter's birth, this is what you've pulled: Humboldt squid stranding. Market squid boom. Humboldt squid re-invasion. Giant squid video (finally). Deep-sea squid sex. Giant squid specimen. Flying squid (again).
Well . . . now that I think about it, I wonder if I'm reading it wrong. Is all this excitement really a cry for attention? Maybe you're trying to tell me how much you miss me. How much you need me. If that's the case, squid, then I'm all ears.
But there's someone new in my life, and she needs all my help to get through the paralarval stage in her development. I know your philosophy is "live fast and die young," but if you can take the long-term view for just a minute, you'll realize that I'm actually doing you a favor by cultivating the next generation of cephalopodiatrist.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Thinking 'I Can Do Better' Really Can Improve Performance, Study Finds
- Brain Cancer: Why Glioblastoma Is So Difficult To Treat
- Bewildering Dune Formation On Mars
- Some Celiac Disease May Be Due To Viruses
- Little To No Association Between Butter Consumption And Chronic Disease Or Total Mortality
- Out Of Africa: What They Do Not Tell Us
- How A Former Naturopath Can Help Unravel The Trickery of Alternative Medicine
- "Agreed, many people tend to jump the gun when they see an article like his and don’t read down..."
- "One other thing. It's kind of absurd to argue that if you don't have a solution you can't discuss..."
- "Eugenics tends to be a toxic conversation stopper, primarily because of the poisonous political..."
- "Are you proposing pseudo-positive/negative eugenics? As my boss always says, don't point out a..."
- " Media Silent as Concealed Carrier Stops Mass Shooting in Progress at a South Carolina Nightclub..."
- Consensus statement: Environmental toxins hurt brain development, action needed
- New anti-cancer strategy mobilizes both innate and adaptive immune response
- Aging population is growing ranks of cancer survivors
- UK government should fund media campaigns that promote quitting, not films that promote smoking
- Report: A host of common chemicals endanger child brain development