Dear Squid of the World,
Excuse me. What is this? I have been your friend and advocate for years. No, DECADES. (Two, to be specific.) I have championed your cause to family and friends, students and total strangers. I wore the shirts. I read the books. I even got a PEE AITCH DEE in the science of baby squid. I think I've earned a modicum of consideration. A smidgeon of thoughtfulness.
But no. I go on maternity leave to care for my firstborn and what do you do? Everything.
In the three months since my daughter's birth, this is what you've pulled: Humboldt squid stranding. Market squid boom. Humboldt squid re-invasion. Giant squid video (finally). Deep-sea squid sex. Giant squid specimen. Flying squid (again).
Well . . . now that I think about it, I wonder if I'm reading it wrong. Is all this excitement really a cry for attention? Maybe you're trying to tell me how much you miss me. How much you need me. If that's the case, squid, then I'm all ears.
But there's someone new in my life, and she needs all my help to get through the paralarval stage in her development. I know your philosophy is "live fast and die young," but if you can take the long-term view for just a minute, you'll realize that I'm actually doing you a favor by cultivating the next generation of cephalopodiatrist.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Erupting Bardarbunga Volcano In Iceland Sits On A Massive Magma Hot Spot
- Genetically Modified Stem Cells Kill Brain Tumors
- Preventing Murder: 3 Ways To Predict Who Will Become A Killer
- How Gut Bacteria Ensure A Healthy Brain – and Could Play A Role In Treating Depression
- We're Too Late To Prevent 137,000 More Ebola Cases, Says Epidemiology Paper
- Ebola's Evolutionary Roots Are Ancient
- No Light Dark Matter In ATLAS Search
- "/* Science advances as much by mistakes as by plans. */ Apparently the mainstream physicists are..."
- "Part of being a theorist in any subfield is trying to explain the results that we have in hand..."
- "This essay interested me immensely. My father claimed to be an 'atheist' all his life but..."
- "Not all of us are explorers, much less pioneers. The author is certainly not the latter and too..."
- " Obviously 300% more fish farming means more illnesses and more antibiotic use.Is it really..."
- How to sell a toxic pesticide the smart way–call it organic
- Leftist dystopia? Anti-technology fever animates opposition to GMOs and other ‘disruptive’ technologies
- CDC faced a nearly impossible balancing act with Ebola, and failed
- Why Chobani reversed course, making yoghurt only from milk from cows not fed GMO grain
- Monterey, California, hotbed of anti-GMO activism, home to new GMO corn farm
- Evolution is sometimes messy or even outright ridiculous
Books By Writers Here