Dear Squid of the World,
Excuse me. What is this? I have been your friend and advocate for years. No, DECADES. (Two, to be specific.) I have championed your cause to family and friends, students and total strangers. I wore the shirts. I read the books. I even got a PEE AITCH DEE in the science of baby squid. I think I've earned a modicum of consideration. A smidgeon of thoughtfulness.
But no. I go on maternity leave to care for my firstborn and what do you do? Everything.
In the three months since my daughter's birth, this is what you've pulled: Humboldt squid stranding. Market squid boom. Humboldt squid re-invasion. Giant squid video (finally). Deep-sea squid sex. Giant squid specimen. Flying squid (again).
Well . . . now that I think about it, I wonder if I'm reading it wrong. Is all this excitement really a cry for attention? Maybe you're trying to tell me how much you miss me. How much you need me. If that's the case, squid, then I'm all ears.
But there's someone new in my life, and she needs all my help to get through the paralarval stage in her development. I know your philosophy is "live fast and die young," but if you can take the long-term view for just a minute, you'll realize that I'm actually doing you a favor by cultivating the next generation of cephalopodiatrist.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- A 3 TeV Dielectron Event By CMS !
- Aspartame: Believe Science, Or A Homeopath Like Joe Mercola?
- Love & Math, A Review Of Edward Frenkel’s Bestseller, A Math Planetarium
- The Dynamical Origin Of Quantum Mechanics (I)
- Why Girls Are Less Interested In Computer Science: Classrooms Are Too 'Geeky'
- Genome-Wide Association Study Finds Four Possible Risk Factors For Ovarian Cancer
- Mountain Doomed: CO2 Bubbles And Heart Attacks
- "Have a look at these recent studies (however imperfect, subject to confounding etc); 1) Aspartame..."
- "I have now read the linked article “a nation stays alive when its culture stays alive”. ..."
- "Thank you Paul.I hope more and more people eventually get to think about big picture stuff than..."
- "A beautiful survey of the attempts by some top notch mathematicians to connect isolated maths islands..."
- "i'm with ya, I just have strong feelings about r. That's why I'm hangin out at science 2.0..."