Day two of Evelyn Mervine's photo meme, and today I have a picture of Ngauruhoe, New Zealand. Ngauruhoe makes almost a perfect cone, broken only at the top by a small crater. This photo was taken from the summit, looking north. A small amount of steam can be seen rising from Ngauruhoe itself, showing this volcano is far from dead. Further in the background is part of Tongariro, the larger volcanic complex that Ngauruhoe is just one vent of. In the distance is lake Taupo, which is itself a large, volcanic caldera. All in all, this shows how the Taupo Volcanic Zone is one of the most volcanic areas in the world.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Is Everything You Eat A Drug?
- ATLAS Vs CMS Higgs Results: Which Experiment Has More Sensitivity ?
- Is Cold Fusion For Real?!
- High Fructose Corn Syrup Addictive Like Cocaine, Says Researcher
- Does Tourism Revenue Help Birds In Protected Areas?
- Atheists In Foxholes? Not Many - And Less The More Soldiers Dislike War
- The Importance Of The Literature
- "I think the culprit is warm water, and since many of the stations(note there are 4 pages scroll..."
- "Masers? That takes me back — to roughly 1960, when they were the new thing in the news..."
- "Patrick; Nice work again, and welcome back! Your Friend Espen..."
- "Short version: Memory gets muddled at menopause..."
- "Nah, then I'd read like Scientific American. :)..."
- New analysis yields improvements in a classic 3-D imaging technique
- Understanding the past and predicting the future by looking across space and time
- How do cold ions slide?
- Researchers identify first drug targets in childhood genetic tumor disorder
- New research shows that potatoes provide one of the best nutritional values per penny