- 5th Century: Ancient Mözs-Icsei Dülő Cemetery Remains Show It Was Multicultural
The 5th century Mözs-Icsei dülő cemetery near Szekszárd in the area known as Pannonia dates back to the late Roman period. Remains reveal the demographic makeup during the beginnings of Europe's Migration Period, when the Huns invaded Central Europe ...
Article - News Staff - Apr 29 2020 - 3:49pm
- The Story Of African Slaves Brought To Mexico During Spanish Colonialism, As Told By Their Bones
Though slavery is still invoked in the United States of America, it is ironically because it was relatively rare compared to the rest of the continent. Only 4 percent of African slaves brought by Europeans and other Africans were brought to what is now the ...
Article - News Staff - Apr 30 2020 - 2:57pm
- At 13,500 Years Old, This Songbird Is The Oldest Known Figurine
(Inside Science)- An ancient bird statuette recovered from a refuse heap is the oldest known figurine discovered yet in China, shedding new light on how our ancestors created 3D art, a new study finds. ...
Article - Inside Science - Jun 14 2020 - 6:01am
- Not Just America: Fluting From 6,000 BC Found In Arabian Excavations
Evidence of prehistoric fluting techniques, using hammering or pressure to create a groove, has been found on the Arabian peninsula from 8,000 years ago. Archeological finds are not new on the Arabian peninsula. There is evidence for lithics (stone tools) ...
Article - News Staff - Aug 5 2020 - 1:01pm
- What Is That 'Black Goo' Coming From Ancient Egyptian Coffins?
Egyptian coffins and mummy cases have been found covered in a mysterious 'black goo'. What is this goo made from and what can it reveal about Egyptian funerary practice? The British Museum's Kate Fulcher has detailed answers but you can read ...
Article - News Staff - Aug 7 2020 - 12:15pm
- AI Handwriting Analysis Yields Clues To Authors Of A Dead Seas Scrolls Manuscript
In 1946, with World War II over, archaeologists got back to work and over 10 years found discarded Hebrew Bible manuscripts in 12 Ein Feshkha Caves near the Dead Sea in the West Bank. Fragments o these "Dead Sea Scrolls" include the Apocrypha, ex ...
Article - News Staff - Apr 22 2021 - 4:58pm