The World Health Organisation warns that 80,000,000 kids under age 1 are at greater risk of diphtheria, measles and polio because immunization is being hindered in 70 countries.
Of the 129 countries where data are available, 54 percent reported disruptions or a total suspension of vaccination services during March-April 2020.
Some is due to parents who have become convinced by media that coronavirus is the Spanish Flu or the Black Plague and therefore worse than polio. Health care workers may not want to travel, may have restrictions on travel, or are already doing COVID-19 response where they are.
There is no 'one size fits all' for countries any more than there is for U.S. states so WHO has issued advice to help countries determine how and when to resume mass vaccination campaigns.
- WHO Panel On Coronavirus Was Clearly Told Not To Mention China So It Says All Countries 'Made Mistakes'
- Where Coronavirus Really Came From
- COVID-19: The Immune Systems Of The Overwhelming Majority Do Quite Well
- The 1918 Spanish Flu Pandemic Had Up To Four Waves- The Last Was 18 Months After The Third
- SARS-CoV-2 Mutations Have Not Been Evolving To Increase Transmissibility