Patients who ingested caustic soda are subjected to periodic esophageal dilatation, which is the only way to give them the hope of autonomous nutrition and thus a life.
Emergency is an independent, neutral and non-political Italian organization, which provides free, high-quality medical and surgical treatment to the civilian victims of war, landmines, and poverty. It promotes a culture of solidarity, peace, and respect for human rights.
The Emergency hospital in Goderich (right) is the only place in the whole country where this procedure is possible. The endoscopes which have so far been used by surgeons there require urgent repair, and two new instruments have to be acquired, one for children and one for teenagers. The total cost of the operation is of about 26,000 US dollars.
If you are sitting on some extra money and if you care for the life of children wherever they live, you might consider contributing to the repair and purchase of endoscopes by donating money with your credit card at the Emergency web site. Please be sure to specify "Sierra Leone - programma di dilatazione" in the form.
Documentation on the program (in italian only)
- Giving Peace A Chance: Seven Africans Begin Rotary World Peace Fellowships
- Big Cosmetic And Sen. Dianne Feinstein Go After Your Handmade Soap
- ICIS Pricing Launches The Weekly Africa Caustic Soda Report- The First And Only Weekly Price Benchmark For The Market
- Health Disinformation Didn't Start With COVID-19, Lessons From The Past Can Help Combat It
- Suggestions for Disposable Packaging