I am spending a week in Israel to visit three physics institutes for colloquia and seminars: the Tel Aviv University (where I gave a colloquium yesterday), the Haifa Technion (where I am giving a seminar today), and the Weizmann institute in Rehovot (where I'll speak next Wednesday).
The topic of my talk is the same you've heard about already if you are a regular of this column: the five-sigma criterion for discovery claims in physics, its history and shortcomings, and the proposal of how to update it. Tangentially, I also mention some of the material discussed in detail in my book "Anomaly! Collider Physics and the Quest for New Phenomena at the Tevatron" (you can get more information on the book at its World Scientific web site, where you can read endorsements, a contents list, and also order a copy with a 35% discount until Jan 15).
I was very happy to meet my friend professor Marek Karliner at Tel Aviv University yesterday. Marek is a particle phenomenologist and he directs the institute of advanced studies at TAU. He was a great host - he invited me and my fiancee to an outstanding restaurant (Santa Rosa) on new years' eve, and later to a party at one of his friend's house.
As for today in Haifa, my host at the Technion (a.k.a. the Israeli Institute of Technology) is professor Yoram Rozen, an ATLAS colleague. After Tel Aviv and Haifa I must say that the hospitality and courtesy here in Israel is second to none. Tonight we'll spend some good time at a restaurant downtown (although I have been explained that there is no "downtown" Haifa - the town is on three levels on a multitude of hills and slopes).
Besides another seminar at Weizmann, the plan for the next few days includes a visit to Jerusalem. If you have suggestions for that I'm glad to hear them - I have already been advised to take an organized tour; others have suggested to walk the wall around the city. If you have leads, I want to hear them :)
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Anomaly! Book Of The Week At Times Higher Education
- Random Thoughts Of A Physicist In Honeymoon
- It's Been Another Record Year For Agriculture - When Do Climate Change Forecasts Come True?
- Climate Change Made The Sahara Green - Then Took It Away Again
- Anomaly! At 35% Discount For Ten More Days
- Sitting Linked To Premature Aging - And Hopefully Skepticism
- How Viruses Leave Messages For Descendants On How To 'Infect'
- "I don't know why my comment's formatting was lost in the transmission, so that it is now one big..."
- "“If you don't use probabilities then how else do you do it? At any rate that's not a criticism..."
- "Tomasso, Congratulations, may you enjoy a long and happy life together with Kalliopi! Best regards..."
- "Found another one : http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/545975/end-of-the-world-Gods-vengeance..."
- "Thanks :). Actually there are so many fake doomsday red top tabloid stories that I tend to wait..."
- A Drug 85 Times More Potent than THC Caused 'Zombie Outbreak' in New York City
- Doubt Cast Over Sunscreen-Vs.-Shade Study
- ABCD: Obesity Has A New Name, Will It Stop The Epidemic?
- President George H. W. Bush in ICU, Wife Barbara in Same Hospital
- Media Think World of Science and Health Will End on Inauguration Day 2017
- And Then There Were Three: A New Trivalent Herpes Vaccine Enters The Scene