As I mentioned a few months ago, lately I have been writing a science book for laymen. The idea is to focus on the history of CDF, a particle physics experiment that collected data from 1985 to 2011 at the Fermilab laboratory near Chicago.
Telling the story and the internal sociology of such a glorious and important experiment, which discovered the top quark in 1995 and produced many groundbreaking results in its 30-year-long history, would already be a fine justification of a book; but my aim is a different one - I would like to explain particle physics in a entertaining way, using as a basis the many anomalies that the experiment unearthed
(and sometimes re-buried). The level of the discussion
of the physics is not different to the one within which I usually stay
when I write about physics in this blog.
I have worked hard at the project in the last few months, and the book is quite close to being finished; of course it never will be finished until it gets in print, so I am now in the process of moving to the next phase, which is the one of finding an agent on the US market.
So if you chance to know a good agent who deals with scientific texts and who might be interested in the project outlined above, drop me a line!
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Suggestion: The EM Drive Is Getting The Appropriate Level Of Attention From The Science Community
- Animal Sex Is Spicier Than We Thought
- It's Naive To Pretend Differences Between Women And Men Are Just Genetics
- Bang! Meet The Highest-Energy Hadron Collision Ever Imaged!
- New Ice Age Is Coming, By 2030, Says Analysis
- Will Aspartame Critics Now Be Less Bitter?
- GMOs Have Formaldehyde? Bizarre Claim Challenged By Experts
- "The cause of hangovers is not known. Let me suggest the most likely, and something none of you..."
- "Like ethanol, but with only one carbon instead of two, methanol even more readily enters every..."
- "Somehow, this makes even less sense then what you wrote before. ESL?..."
- "Quite aside from the fact that your arithmetic is horrid, your chemistry is even worse. When a..."
- "There's more discussion on this article: Can Spinning Habitats Solve Zero g Problem? And Answer..."
- Genetic tug of war in the brain influences behavior
- New method to predict the amount of nicotine emitted from e-cigarettes
- How bees naturally vaccinate their babies
- Mild hypothermia in deceased organ donors improves organ function in kidney transplant
- Trying to quit smoking? First strengthen self-control