As I mentioned a few months ago, lately I have been writing a science book for laymen. The idea is to focus on the history of CDF, a particle physics experiment that collected data from 1985 to 2011 at the Fermilab laboratory near Chicago.
Telling the story and the internal sociology of such a glorious and important experiment, which discovered the top quark in 1995 and produced many groundbreaking results in its 30-year-long history, would already be a fine justification of a book; but my aim is a different one - I would like to explain particle physics in a entertaining way, using as a basis the many anomalies that the experiment unearthed
(and sometimes re-buried). The level of the discussion
of the physics is not different to the one within which I usually stay
when I write about physics in this blog.
I have worked hard at the project in the last few months, and the book is quite close to being finished; of course it never will be finished until it gets in print, so I am now in the process of moving to the next phase, which is the one of finding an agent on the US market.
So if you chance to know a good agent who deals with scientific texts and who might be interested in the project outlined above, drop me a line!
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- What May Be Missing From Quantum Computing - A Quantum Middle Man
- Math, Time and Obesity
- Almost One In Three US Adults Owns A Gun But Murder Rates Have Plummeted
- Obese Teens Are Less Likely To Use Contraception
- Head Start In The South Also Helped Create Future Civil Rights Leaders
- Why Horror Games Give Us The Fright We're Looking For
- Predictive Coding Theory: How Our Brains Recognize Faces From Minimal Information
- "Where did you get that statistic? ..."
- "So from 20 times the gun linked murder rate of all other OECD countries down to 19.5 times? Still..."
- "Vegan parents investigated for neglect after baby son found severely malnourished - said they..."
- "Good news on two fronts.Although I get a kick out of insulting people now and then (OK, maybe a..."
- "Ugh, there are three paths I wish I could take this conversation now. History has taught me that..."