As I mentioned a few months ago, lately I have been writing a science book for laymen. The idea is to focus on the history of CDF, a particle physics experiment that collected data from 1985 to 2011 at the Fermilab laboratory near Chicago.
Telling the story and the internal sociology of such a glorious and important experiment, which discovered the top quark in 1995 and produced many groundbreaking results in its 30-year-long history, would already be a fine justification of a book; but my aim is a different one - I would like to explain particle physics in a entertaining way, using as a basis the many anomalies that the experiment unearthed
(and sometimes re-buried). The level of the discussion
of the physics is not different to the one within which I usually stay
when I write about physics in this blog.
I have worked hard at the project in the last few months, and the book is quite close to being finished; of course it never will be finished until it gets in print, so I am now in the process of moving to the next phase, which is the one of finding an agent on the US market.
So if you chance to know a good agent who deals with scientific texts and who might be interested in the project outlined above, drop me a line!
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Are Marijuana Warning Labels Needed? Users Say Yes
- Something is wrong in the Arctic
- Order Patterned With Chaos - How Climate Is Predicted For Decades - With Exact Forecasts Only For Days
- Should Pregnant Women Be Concerned About BPA?
- Is The X(5568) A True Resonance ?
- Running Sounds May Contain Clues To Injury Prevention
- The Five Stages Of A Dying Theory
- "Patrick, good to have you back writing about the Arctic condition. Neven has done a wonderful job..."
- "Just to say that I agree with Patrick. Science is not settled by voting and public opinion. Newton..."
- "We should name 2013 FY27 after the Potawatomi God of creation, Kche Mnedo. The Potawatomi are native..."
- "Another reminder. Please can you discuss the ideas rather than call people liars? Neither..."
- "A vigorous supporter of the Petition Project since its inception in 1998, Professor Seitz died..."
- A Possible Antidote for Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
- Surgeon General Declares War on E-Cigarettes But Not Marijuana, Hookah
- NHL's Concussion Protocol, a Closer Look (Part 2)
- Uh-Oh — Smokers Are Drinking the 'Additives Cause the Cancer' Kool-Aid
- A New Way to Prevent HIV Infection
- A Novel Way to Stop HIV