As I mentioned a few months ago, lately I have been writing a science book for laymen. The idea is to focus on the history of CDF, a particle physics experiment that collected data from 1985 to 2011 at the Fermilab laboratory near Chicago.
Telling the story and the internal sociology of such a glorious and important experiment, which discovered the top quark in 1995 and produced many groundbreaking results in its 30-year-long history, would already be a fine justification of a book; but my aim is a different one - I would like to explain particle physics in a entertaining way, using as a basis the many anomalies that the experiment unearthed
(and sometimes re-buried). The level of the discussion
of the physics is not different to the one within which I usually stay
when I write about physics in this blog.
I have worked hard at the project in the last few months, and the book is quite close to being finished; of course it never will be finished until it gets in print, so I am now in the process of moving to the next phase, which is the one of finding an agent on the US market.
So if you chance to know a good agent who deals with scientific texts and who might be interested in the project outlined above, drop me a line!
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Top Secret: On Confidentiality On Scientific Issues, Across The Ring And Across The Bedroom
- The Mystery Of The Red Sea
- Stop Using BMI To Determine Health
- Would New Planet X Clear Its Orbit? - And Any Better Name Than "Planet Nine"?
- The Greenhouse Effect Fallacy
- Intense Work Helped Michelangelo Maintain Use Of Hands Despite Osteoarthritis
- Choose the next topic
- "Greetings Robert. Thanks again for your thoughts on God. I read your two statements and here are..."
- "Hello Vance,yes I know about that model, and about at least two experimental attempts, one with..."
- "No, I am not from the states. It sounds like an astonishing arrangement to have multiple jurisdiction..."
- "Very true. The observation I've made is that in 2001 it was John F. Nash and Alicia DeLarde ..."
- "The male female difference you think is so basic isn't so simple. Consider this bird. http..."
- BMI is Bologna
- Energy Drinks: The Dose Makes the Poison
- California’s Prop 65: Bad For Public Acceptance Of Science, About To Get Worse
- Wear Red Today! It’s Women’s Heart Health Awareness Day
- Can Marijuana Ease NFL Players’ Pain? Claims Are All Over The Field
- Mid-Life Crisis Clusters Found In 4 US Cities
- Cambridge researcher develops smartphone app to map Swiss-German dialects
- Studies link healthy workforces to positive stock market performance
- Pioneering discovery leads to potential preventive treatment for sudden cardiac death
- Online shopping might not be as green as we thought
- Gene family turns cancer cells into aggressive stem cells that keep growing