As I mentioned a few months ago, lately I have been writing a science book for laymen. The idea is to focus on the history of CDF, a particle physics experiment that collected data from 1985 to 2011 at the Fermilab laboratory near Chicago.
Telling the story and the internal sociology of such a glorious and important experiment, which discovered the top quark in 1995 and produced many groundbreaking results in its 30-year-long history, would already be a fine justification of a book; but my aim is a different one - I would like to explain particle physics in a entertaining way, using as a basis the many anomalies that the experiment unearthed
(and sometimes re-buried). The level of the discussion
of the physics is not different to the one within which I usually stay
when I write about physics in this blog.
I have worked hard at the project in the last few months, and the book is quite close to being finished; of course it never will be finished until it gets in print, so I am now in the process of moving to the next phase, which is the one of finding an agent on the US market.
So if you chance to know a good agent who deals with scientific texts and who might be interested in the project outlined above, drop me a line!
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Thank You Guido
- VB-111 Gene Therapy Doubles Survival In Recurrent Glioblastoma
- 'Greenwashing' Perception Sullies Eco-Friendly Reputation
- Replacing Exercise With A Pill
- September 24th, 2015 - Just Another Day In Space - Asteroid Flybys, "Blood Moons" And Armageddon Demystified
- Online Market For Invasive Plants Is Booming
- Public Health vs. EU's Tobacco Product Directive: The Battle is Joined
- "I think the problem is in thinking of X as an exercise pill. As noted, exercise has a wide variety..."
- "Oh, are you talking about the numbers? The 24 hours with a set tilt of 23.44 degrees (which..."
- "Robert,'WHAT embitters the world is not excess of criticism, but absence of self-criticism.'and'So..."
- "Thanks Robert. I very much appreciate your reply. I read it carefully. It certainly would be classified..."
- "Hi Joe, I've been traveling and limited access because I left my keyboard behind and had to buy..."
- Stimulant meds safe, effective for children with ADHD and congenital heart disease
- Hotel 'greenwashing' dirties eco-friendly reputation
- Coincidence or conspiracy? Investigating if believers see so much secret design
- 'Greenwashing' actually dirties eco-friendly reputation
- Language about climate change differs between proponents and skeptics