There has been much discussion lately about the ignorance of matters scientific among the public. With this is mind, here are some thoughts from Blighty.
I have just been speaking to my friend O, who is quite a senior figure in science education. He has been fighting a battle for years against the prevailing mindset. I will put forth a few of his complayntes:
The exam boards see it as their job, rather than the teachers’, to stretch children’s knowledge.
Science teaching is becoming increasingly mathematized.
It is aimed at producing academic scientists, rather than teaching folk at large who want to use their science in their jobs, e.g. plumbers and beauticians.
They consider only the science of the middle class professionals, such as medics and dentists, rather than science for the workers.
As you may guess from the previous sentence, he is a Socialist. I have been described as a “right-wing Bolshevik” But I do think there is much in what he says. What do you think?
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Women,This Is Your Brain On Junk Food
- ATLAS Higgs Challenge Results
- Epidemics: A Sleaze-Bag Payday?
- Ebola Virus And Protein Secrets
- The Chicxulub Meteorite Killed The Dinosaurs But Made Forests Great
- In Psychopaths, The Line Between Fantasy And Reality Is Thin
- Betavoltaics: Water-Based Nuclear Battery Developed
- " If the latter were true he would not be selling unapproved drugs, that not only don't work..."
- "У меня иммунитет против многих инфекционных заболеваний..."
- "Kagglers call this overfitting to the leaderboard. They start to rely on the leaderboard for feedback..."
- "The problem is that the drugs work. A friend of mine was a professional cyclist who once said to..."
- "Correction to my previous post. It should say The dose makes the poison. http://learn.caim.yale..."
- Phthalates heighten risk for childhood asthma
- New study examines the impact of socioeconomic position & maternal morbidity in Australia
- A greater focus on socially disadvantaged women is needed to improve maternity care in England
- NAMS issues first comprehensive recommendations on care of women at menopause and beyond
- Sharks' skin has teeth in the fight against hospital superbugs