There has been much discussion lately about the ignorance of matters scientific among the public. With this is mind, here are some thoughts from Blighty.
I have just been speaking to my friend O, who is quite a senior figure in science education. He has been fighting a battle for years against the prevailing mindset. I will put forth a few of his complayntes:
The exam boards see it as their job, rather than the teachers’, to stretch children’s knowledge.
Science teaching is becoming increasingly mathematized.
It is aimed at producing academic scientists, rather than teaching folk at large who want to use their science in their jobs, e.g. plumbers and beauticians.
They consider only the science of the middle class professionals, such as medics and dentists, rather than science for the workers.
As you may guess from the previous sentence, he is a Socialist. I have been described as a “right-wing Bolshevik” But I do think there is much in what he says. What do you think?
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Lexus Hoverboard Gets Off The Ground
- Vegan Diets Works Better For Weight Loss Than Vegetarian Or Atkins
- Paving Way for Mars Colonization
- I Don't Use The Term 'Miracle' Very Often, But...
- Collinsium Ciliosum: New Species Of ‘Super-Armored’ Worm Discovered
- What Gets Credit For Smoking Declines? Big Pharma And Taxes, Says UCSF Paper
- "Well all calories are equal until they enter the body. Sugar and Fat Absorption Increased In Obesity..."
- "You say: A vegan diet remains controversial because it is in defiance of our evolutionary mandate..."
- "I am SUCH an idiot. I remember when those hideous things came out. 1970s. Duh. I actually..."
- "You write as if you had never heard of psychology and psychological effects. You just answered..."
- "although physically impossible -- You write as if you had never heard of psychology and psychological..."
- Phase IIb Pivotal Clinical Study of P2B001 for the Treatment of Early Stage Parkinson's Disease
- Women's faces get redder at ovulation, but human eyes can't pick up on it
- Friction reduction breakthrough is not snake oil
- Is abortion in America about to get restricted?
- South Africans used milk-based paint 49,000 years ago