There has been much discussion lately about the ignorance of matters scientific among the public. With this is mind, here are some thoughts from Blighty.
I have just been speaking to my friend O, who is quite a senior figure in science education. He has been fighting a battle for years against the prevailing mindset. I will put forth a few of his complayntes:
The exam boards see it as their job, rather than the teachers’, to stretch children’s knowledge.
Science teaching is becoming increasingly mathematized.
It is aimed at producing academic scientists, rather than teaching folk at large who want to use their science in their jobs, e.g. plumbers and beauticians.
They consider only the science of the middle class professionals, such as medics and dentists, rather than science for the workers.
As you may guess from the previous sentence, he is a Socialist. I have been described as a “right-wing Bolshevik” But I do think there is much in what he says. What do you think?
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- The Five Stages Of A Dying Theory
- Something is wrong in the Arctic
- Is The X(5568) A True Resonance ?
- Order Patterned With Chaos - How Climate Is Predicted For Decades - With Exact Forecasts Only For Days
- Neanderthals: Not So Dumb
- Should Pregnant Women Be Concerned About BPA?
- Anomaly! Book Presentation At CERN On November 29
- "See my Debunked - The world will end because the Bible (or some other sacred book) says soIt's..."
- " Yo Robert, can you debunk this: http://www.express.co.uk/news/weird/740551/end-of-world-apocalypse..."
- "Oh okay maybe they got upset in the same way you did. You could try pointing them towards my Nibiru..."
- "So you can guarantee to me that this is not real yeah thats all i want for this not to be real..."
- Credit NHL for Smart, Safe Concussion Strategy
- Don't Drive 'Gene Drives' Into a Ditch
- Public Citizen Wants You Dead- Not Bacteria
- Pfizer's Centrum Silver Multivitamins Contain Pesticide, Paint & Glass
- Paper Scandal at Science? Microbeads Lying in the Weeds, and a Stolen Computer
- Pfizer's Centrum Silver Multivitamins Contain Pesticide, Paint, and Glass