There has been much discussion lately about the ignorance of matters scientific among the public. With this is mind, here are some thoughts from Blighty.
I have just been speaking to my friend O, who is quite a senior figure in science education. He has been fighting a battle for years against the prevailing mindset. I will put forth a few of his complayntes:
The exam boards see it as their job, rather than the teachers’, to stretch children’s knowledge.
Science teaching is becoming increasingly mathematized.
It is aimed at producing academic scientists, rather than teaching folk at large who want to use their science in their jobs, e.g. plumbers and beauticians.
They consider only the science of the middle class professionals, such as medics and dentists, rather than science for the workers.
As you may guess from the previous sentence, he is a Socialist. I have been described as a “right-wing Bolshevik” But I do think there is much in what he says. What do you think?
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- 2004 BL86 - 'Near Miss' Asteroid Even Has Its Own Moon
- Reviews In Physics - A New Journal
- Wiggles: Inconsistencies Undermine Model Reliability For Projecting Decade-To-Decade Warming
- If Abortion Is A Choice Then Sex Selection Abortion Should Remain Legal
- Partly Wrong With A Chance Of Being Right: Why Are Weather Forecasts Still So Inaccurate?
- Planet With Rings Found Outside Solar System - And They Are Bigger Than Saturn
- Happy 150th Birthday To Maxwell's Theory Of Electromagnetism
- "That is the kind of thing that insures sociology stays in the humanities buildings. Your..."
- "Maybe it's this you wanted instead: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intersex or search OMIM: http..."
- "I think you are just being coy, or JAQing. Try this for starters perhaps: http://othersociologist..."
- "I first thought of asking “Could you please enlighten us?”, but in a posh-ish Anglo accent..."
- "Hi T, Thanks for the note on the CMS result on Majorana neutrinos. However this is not surprising..."