There has been much discussion lately about the ignorance of matters scientific among the public. With this is mind, here are some thoughts from Blighty.
I have just been speaking to my friend O, who is quite a senior figure in science education. He has been fighting a battle for years against the prevailing mindset. I will put forth a few of his complayntes:
The exam boards see it as their job, rather than the teachers’, to stretch children’s knowledge.
Science teaching is becoming increasingly mathematized.
It is aimed at producing academic scientists, rather than teaching folk at large who want to use their science in their jobs, e.g. plumbers and beauticians.
They consider only the science of the middle class professionals, such as medics and dentists, rather than science for the workers.
As you may guess from the previous sentence, he is a Socialist. I have been described as a “right-wing Bolshevik” But I do think there is much in what he says. What do you think?
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Giddings: The 750 GeV Diphoton Resonance Is A Graviton
- Why Your Muscles Get Less Sore As You Stick With Your Gym Routine
- Inconvenient Truth: There Are Synthetic Pesticide Residues On Organic
- No Higgs Needed: 5 Ways Particle Accelerators Have Changed The World
- Future Transatlantic Flight Delays Blamed On Global Warming
- A.I. May Tell Us What's Going To Be Big In Science This Year
- Native Grass Make Super-Thin Condoms
- "(sarc on) Nice try! (sarc off) Typical reply from an uninformed ditto-head alarmist, that is, to..."
- " Not sure what point you are trying to make, but... No, most of the energy emitted from the Earth..."
- "Wow, a blog by a weatherman, that’s convincing. A total Gish gallop of inaccurate observations..."
- "Where can I buy a mug like the one above??..."
- "I have long suspected that the organic lobbyists have been economical with the truth in respect..."
- National Academy of Medicine Supports Replacing Faulty Mitochondrial DNA
- Pregnant & Still Smoking: Better Way Needed To Quit
- ‘Healthy Obesity’ May Be an Oxymoron, Study Says
- Keeping the PBJ, While Chasing NBA Immortality
- The Public Toilet Seat’s Place on the ‘Ick Scale’
- Moms-to-Be: Take Chocolate Benefits With Grain of Salt
- Couch potatoes may have smaller brains later in life
- Iowa State statistician organizes symposium to discuss stronger science behind forensics
- Fish fins can sense touch
- Integrating Neuroscience and Mathematics to Elucidate Mental Activities
- Research into critical national issues at forefront of NSF's FY2017 budget request