There has been much discussion lately about the ignorance of matters scientific among the public. With this is mind, here are some thoughts from Blighty.
I have just been speaking to my friend O, who is quite a senior figure in science education. He has been fighting a battle for years against the prevailing mindset. I will put forth a few of his complayntes:
The exam boards see it as their job, rather than the teachers’, to stretch children’s knowledge.
Science teaching is becoming increasingly mathematized.
It is aimed at producing academic scientists, rather than teaching folk at large who want to use their science in their jobs, e.g. plumbers and beauticians.
They consider only the science of the middle class professionals, such as medics and dentists, rather than science for the workers.
As you may guess from the previous sentence, he is a Socialist. I have been described as a “right-wing Bolshevik” But I do think there is much in what he says. What do you think?
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- We Don't Hear Much About The 10,000 French Deaths At Gallipoli
- Columbia's Lame Oz Defense
- Yellowstone Volcanic System Four Times Bigger Than Thought
- The Evolutionary Psychology Reason Some People Will Be Anti-GMO
- Arginine Deprivation May Be A Potential Cause For Alzheimer's
- You Can't Exercise Through A Bad Diet
- Poison As Medicine And How Venom Can Sometimes Be A Savior
- "Agreed. There was a very famous runner named Jim Fixx, entirely ignorant of medical genetics..."
- "I'm a concert pianist. Should I be giving flute lessons? ..."
- "I meant to say my wife mentioned some treatment for whatever that Dr Oz mentioned on his show...."
- "I'm no mental giant, but I picked up on the snake oil salesmanship qualities of Dr Oz years ago..."
- "Hi, good question. This post states that the carbon being used by the bacteria are from 20k years..."