There has been much discussion lately about the ignorance of matters scientific among the public. With this is mind, here are some thoughts from Blighty.
I have just been speaking to my friend O, who is quite a senior figure in science education. He has been fighting a battle for years against the prevailing mindset. I will put forth a few of his complayntes:
The exam boards see it as their job, rather than the teachers’, to stretch children’s knowledge.
Science teaching is becoming increasingly mathematized.
It is aimed at producing academic scientists, rather than teaching folk at large who want to use their science in their jobs, e.g. plumbers and beauticians.
They consider only the science of the middle class professionals, such as medics and dentists, rather than science for the workers.
As you may guess from the previous sentence, he is a Socialist. I have been described as a “right-wing Bolshevik” But I do think there is much in what he says. What do you think?
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- How A Former Naturopath Can Help Unravel The Trickery of Alternative Medicine
- Tidal Disruption Event: Black Hole Eats Star, Beams Signal To Earth
- Dear California: Why Is Farming Science A Bad Thing Again?
- Psychiatric Diagnoses Not Valid For African-Americans, Says Sociologist
- 5 Laws About Corpses That May Spook You
- 9,000 Years: Origin Of Farmed Rice Gets Pushed Back
- Dengue Virus Exposure May Amplify Zika Infection
- "Hello, I am also wondering who is paying you to lie......I have pictures of it and so do all my..."
- "Oh, excellent transition! Thank you for making this very difficult change in your life. I think..."
- "Wait a second. You said Hillary gets a check because she wants to increase NIH and NSF budgets..."
- "I've known a few people with fake celiacs and I've known a few real celiacs. You can find a lot..."
- "This is an interesting set of lecture notes by Cranmer from TASI, https://sites.google.com/a/colorado..."
- ACSH Applauds Media Awareness of the Fentanyl Crisis
- Counting Bites Examined, to Help Decrease Food Intake
- The Safe And Unsafe Nutty Treats For Your Pup
- Mr. Potato Head Needs a New Warning Label!
- Shark Finning is Banned in the US; Banning Trade in Fins May Be Next
- Move Over Zika, It’s Yellow Fever’s Turn
- Should I stay or should I go?
- New cancer immunotherapy drugs linked to arthritis in some patients
- Simulations foresee hordes of colliding black holes in LIGO's future
- Analysis of genetic repeats suggests role for DNA instability in schizophrenia
- Analysis of media reporting reveals new information about snakebites and how and when they occur