The music-recording industry has been under pressure lately, as it struggles to adapt to the age of the internet. This is the second major structural revolution to challenge the recording industry in the past few decades, the first being when video killed the radio star. Music videos surged in popularity (and budget) in the '90s, but during the '00s (pronounced "uh-ohs") music video budgets seemed to have plateaued and begun to decline. In fact, just 3 of the 20 most expensive (inflation-adjusted) music videos of all time were produced after 2000. The most expensive of all time remains Michael and Janet Jackson's "Scream" at $10 million.
Or, at least, it was until NASA got in the game. Canadian astronaut Chris Hadfield has just released a new cover of David Bowie's "Space Oddity" (Ground Control to Major Tom), filmed aboard the International Space Station. No, those are not special effects - he is actually weightless. Because he is actually in outer space.
This video blows "Scream" out of the water, with a set costing around $100 billion (give or take, split internationally). But if we just consider the cost of a single mission (on the order of $1 billion), that means this video only cost 100 "Scream"s to produce. So was it worth it? Considering the sound production values, good vocals, impressive editing, and the unprecedented aesthetics of seeing "Space Oddity" performed in its only truly natural setting, I would say yes, although I personally would have preferred Elton John's "Rocket Man" (possibly forthcoming). Also, I do hear there was some decent science to offset some of the costs as well.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Suggestion: The EM Drive Is Getting The Appropriate Level Of Attention From The Science Community
- It's Naive To Pretend Differences Between Women And Men Are Just Genetics
- Animal Sex Is Spicier Than We Thought
- Bang! Meet The Highest-Energy Hadron Collision Ever Imaged!
- Will Aspartame Critics Now Be Less Bitter?
- GMOs Have Formaldehyde? Bizarre Claim Challenged By Experts
- Bees: Activists Remain Silent While This Pollinator Killer Decimates Millions
- "There's more discussion on this article: Can Spinning Habitats Solve Zero g Problem? And Answer..."
- "http://emdrive.wiki/Main_Page You'll find some great links to theory, tests, builds and a lot of..."
- "My thinking was somewhat along the lines of yours - perhaps the device is somehow preferentially..."
- "I just wonder if this EM device could be in some way interacting with space itself? I mean there..."
- "Hints are not evidence...Only ghosts in the shell...431..."
- Genetic tug of war in the brain influences behavior
- New method to predict the amount of nicotine emitted from e-cigarettes
- How bees naturally vaccinate their babies
- Mild hypothermia in deceased organ donors improves organ function in kidney transplant
- Trying to quit smoking? First strengthen self-control