This weekend marks the launch of the inaugural Open Science Summit conference in Berkeley, CA. The new program intends to be the centralized resource for the continued development in the scientific community of a new “open source” approach to scientific progress. This path toward enlightenment certainly includes a powerful role of the citizen scientist and amateur research making real contributions along with the traditional institutional developments.
The entire conference is being steamed live online at FORA.tv. [WATCH NOW]
Speakers and discussion panels have been brought together this weekend, and include professional scientists, hackers, students, and activists to discuss the future of scientific discovery. Primary topics to be covered include synthetic biology, personal genomics, gene patents, open access to data, do-it-yourself biology, bio-security, and the future of open source scientific publishing.
Drew Halley, a graduate student at UC Berkeley and a writer for Singularity Hub, is attending the conference, and will be posting exclusive reviews of each day, so we recommend reading his overviews to learn about what directly comes from this exciting new conference. [ READ Mr. Halley's review of Thursday's meetings. ]
If you watch any of the proceedings online, let Science 2.0 know what you learned. And, we would like to know what you think is important to consider for the future role of the citizen scientist in the progress of scientific understanding.
“Scenes from the Open Science Summit” :: reason.com :: July 30, 2010 :: [ READ ]
“The Open Science Movement” :: Andrew Zimmerman Jones, Physics Guide About.com :: June 14, 2010 :: [ READ ]
Open Science Summit [ VISIT ]
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Order Patterned With Chaos - How Climate Is Predicted For Decades - With Exact Forecasts Only For Days
- Running Sounds May Contain Clues To Injury Prevention
- Is The X(5568) A True Resonance ?
- Russian scientists increase DVD storage capacity million times
- Should Pregnant Women Be Concerned About BPA?
- The Five Stages Of A Dying Theory
- Something is wrong in the Arctic
- "I have not yet unpublished any of your comments here except just now, and all I did was to unpublish..."
- "Okay quick answer, no it is not real. See Debunked: Nibiru will hit Earth on [Insert Date..."
- "Blocking my comments? Cowardly, especially when you are loosing the argument. Again you can find..."
- "Your argument sounds very seductive, although it falls under the category of an appeal to authority..."
- "I just wanted to clarify your statement, When he went into space it was on top of a converted ICBM..."
- The Alzheimer's-Amyloid Hypothesis Confirmed? Not So Fast
- Abortion Rate in U.S. Falls 21% in One Decade
- Child Mummy May Change Timeline for Smallpox
- On Proposed Tanning Bed Ban for Teens, New Study Urges FDA to Act
- Fear Of Dying Got You Down? Retail Therapy Can Help
- It’s Not Brain Surgery, But do you Know What is? Brain Surgery!