This weekend marks the launch of the inaugural Open Science Summit conference in Berkeley, CA. The new program intends to be the centralized resource for the continued development in the scientific community of a new “open source” approach to scientific progress. This path toward enlightenment certainly includes a powerful role of the citizen scientist and amateur research making real contributions along with the traditional institutional developments.
The entire conference is being steamed live online at FORA.tv. [WATCH NOW]
Speakers and discussion panels have been brought together this weekend, and include professional scientists, hackers, students, and activists to discuss the future of scientific discovery. Primary topics to be covered include synthetic biology, personal genomics, gene patents, open access to data, do-it-yourself biology, bio-security, and the future of open source scientific publishing.
Drew Halley, a graduate student at UC Berkeley and a writer for Singularity Hub, is attending the conference, and will be posting exclusive reviews of each day, so we recommend reading his overviews to learn about what directly comes from this exciting new conference. [ READ Mr. Halley's review of Thursday's meetings. ]
If you watch any of the proceedings online, let Science 2.0 know what you learned. And, we would like to know what you think is important to consider for the future role of the citizen scientist in the progress of scientific understanding.
“Scenes from the Open Science Summit” :: reason.com :: July 30, 2010 :: [ READ ]
“The Open Science Movement” :: Andrew Zimmerman Jones, Physics Guide About.com :: June 14, 2010 :: [ READ ]
Open Science Summit [ VISIT ]
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- A Vegetarian Carnivorous Plant...Wait, What?
- Family Holiday Survival: 12 Ways To Deal With That Climate Change Denier
- Enlightenment Finding Eternity In The Now
- Wave-Particle Duality' And Quantum Uncertainty - Two Sides Of The Same Mystery?
- Challenges for Orion and SLS: An Interview with GAO Director
- Guest Post: Ben Allanach, On Open Access
- How Does Prostate Cancer Happen?
- "Another 'herbs cure cancer' spammer. Obat Kanker Usus Alami (not verified) linked web page..."
- "Poe, Godwin, and now gish-gallop.Step 1 - Read Arrhenius On the Influence of Carbonic Acid in the..."
- "I’m really inspired along with your writing skills as neatly as with the layout in your blog..."
- "Not being a climate scientist, my impression is that climate science is similar to psychology in..."
- "Poe or Godwin ?..."
- Radiologist recommendations for chest CT have high clinical yield
- Bone loss drugs may help prevent endometrial cancer
- Consumer purchases of cakes, cookies and pies have decreased by 24 percent
- IMF lending undermined healthcare provision in Ebola-stricken West Africa
- Orphan receptor proteins deliver double whammy to glioblastoma cells