A US-Albanian underwater expedition believes they have found a 1st century B.C. Roman shipwreck off the southwestern Albanian coast, close to the Sazan Island off the Karaburun Peninsula and the Vlora city, 87 miles southwest of the capital, Tirana.
the 'well-preserved' 30-yard tall ship and some 300 Lambolie 2-type amphora were in the wine transport business.
Unfortunately, the amphora were empty. If wine gets better with age, it would have to be pretty terrific after 2,000-plus years.
Roman wreck full of wine jars found off Albania
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Inheritable Bacterium Controls Aedes Mosquitoes' Ability To Transmit Zika
- What Lies Beneath West Antarctica?
- Exodus 2100: Due To Climate Change
- Unified Mathematical Field Theory Talk
- Use Of Personal Care Products During Pregnancy Linked To Adverse Effects In Newborns
- How To Make Women's Tennis More Competitive
- Humans Have Faster Metabolism Than Closely Related Primates, Enabling Larger Brains
- "Just adding another link. Spinning Brains..."
- "Okay, yes I hadn't thought about clear walled aquariums. That's a good example :). Maybe its easier..."
- " I tried to form a number system with Z6 and I got the same thing as with Z4 ! I too am unclear..."
- "Or maybe homosexuals are just more messed up than average to begin with. Nope, can't be. It's always..."
- "Perhaps it is time that large groups assign some type of weighting to authors to indicate their..."
- War On Fun Fail: After Tax, Soda Sales Rise in Mexico
- Bed Bugs May Have A Favorite Color
- NASA: Rising CO2 Will Help Food Crops
- NRDC Sues EPA Over Fracking – Has The Settlement Been Pre-Arranged?
- Vaccinate Pregnant Moms to Protect Babies from the Flu
- Pure Unstructured Structured Water – Because Some People Will Buy Anything
- Detailed digital human models could hold key to future clinical research
- Extreme ICU: 5 percent of patients account for 33 percent of intensive care and need special focus
- Walking and cycling are good for health even in cities with higher levels of air pollution
- Heavy body shape across lifespan associated with highest mortality
- The NHS is far safer inside the European Union, argues public health expert