A US-Albanian underwater expedition believes they have found a 1st century B.C. Roman shipwreck off the southwestern Albanian coast, close to the Sazan Island off the Karaburun Peninsula and the Vlora city, 87 miles southwest of the capital, Tirana.
the 'well-preserved' 30-yard tall ship and some 300 Lambolie 2-type amphora were in the wine transport business.
Unfortunately, the amphora were empty. If wine gets better with age, it would have to be pretty terrific after 2,000-plus years.
Roman wreck full of wine jars found off Albania
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Pseudoscience Creeping Into Your Conference? A Case In GMOs And Glyphosate
- My Thoughts On The LIGO-VIRGO Result
- Henri Poincaré Predicted The Existence Of Gravitational Waves As Early As June 5, 1905
- Gravitational Waves? Watch the LIGO press conference at 10:30 Eastern.
- The 10 catastrophic mistakes virtual reality firms are making
- Beyond Diamonds And Gems: The World's Rarest Minerals
- Using Stories To Teach Human Values To Robots
- "A further comment on the meaning of Poincaré's prediction about gravitational waves : the classical..."
- "Dear Tomasso I have a simple question: What is the probability of a chirped wave train of 20ms..."
- "Ciao Giulio - I work on the LIGO and Virgo instruments, I can try to explain. The arms in LIGO..."
- "Tommaso, your post is very interesting. I share some of the caveats you refer to. Having into account..."
- "When I was a graduate student at UC Davis, Stan Prusiner came to talk. Klieber Hall was filled..."
- Beard Microbiology: Grubby Hipsters May Be On To Something
- Water Tops the List of Health Concerns for Competitive Eaters
- Natural Flavors Are More Radioactive Than Artificial Ones.
- Bariatric Surgery Beneficial Even for Older People
- Opiates No Better at Easing Knee Osteoarthritis Pain
- BRCA Tests Increasing for Younger Breast Cancer Patients