Atheists can't figure out religious people. It shouldn't be that hard, religious people only believe in one more God than atheists, so they aren't all that different, while atheists only believe in one fewer God than religious people, who don't believe in a lot of other Gods, so they aren't that different either. Yet they just don't get along.
There may be new hope for understanding and dialogue. Religious Belief Systems of Persons with High Functioning Autism (HFA) finds that autistic people are more likely to be atheists than neurotypical (NT) people.
Razib Khan at Discover Blogs notes that social science data usually doesn't have much good to say about atheists anyway - disagreeable - but this may be evidence that more biologically 'rational' people lack the ability to accept the supernatural as easily, so it isn't their fault. He titles his piece "Atheism as mental deviance" to tweat his pageviews a little, since he is a proclaimed atheist. I'll link to the graph on his site so he gets some extra link juice:
There's something in there for both camps to insult each other about, and that is always good fun. Khan is also one of about five non-progressives in science media so he is worth following for that reason alone. Celebrate diversity.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Parkinson’s Disease Reverted In Rats
- Why Some People Are Better Navigators: Brain's 'Homing' Signal Identified
- Guest Post: Ben Allanach, On Open Access
- Dr. Ozvorkian And The Amoebas
- Only One Third Of Dr. Oz Show Recommendations Is Believable, Finds Analysis
- Cycling for Science #1 - Tensegrity
- Why I’ll Talk Policy With Climate Change Deniers But Not Science
- "For further reading: The Great Pacific garbage patch. An extract: “At TEDxDelft2012..."
- "Hontas, a black hole doesn't radiate. Go and read up on the given explanation of Hawking radiation..."
- "Previously, algae and pollen had been considered as useless bycatch which was accidentally sucked..."
- "I don't. My comments are a matter of public record, everybody can see that I clearly don't hate..."
- "Hi, Helen - interesting comment.Any wheel, in order to afford a degree of comfort to the rider..."