Atheists can't figure out religious people. It shouldn't be that hard, religious people only believe in one more God than atheists, so they aren't all that different, while atheists only believe in one fewer God than religious people, who don't believe in a lot of other Gods, so they aren't that different either. Yet they just don't get along.
There may be new hope for understanding and dialogue. Religious Belief Systems of Persons with High Functioning Autism (HFA) finds that autistic people are more likely to be atheists than neurotypical (NT) people.
Razib Khan at Discover Blogs notes that social science data usually doesn't have much good to say about atheists anyway - disagreeable - but this may be evidence that more biologically 'rational' people lack the ability to accept the supernatural as easily, so it isn't their fault. He titles his piece "Atheism as mental deviance" to tweat his pageviews a little, since he is a proclaimed atheist. I'll link to the graph on his site so he gets some extra link juice:
There's something in there for both camps to insult each other about, and that is always good fun. Khan is also one of about five non-progressives in science media so he is worth following for that reason alone. Celebrate diversity.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Sweet Irony: The Environmental Impacts Of GMO Sugar Science Denial
- Evidence Of Link Between Childhood Cancer And Phototherapy For Jaundice Examined
- When It Comes To Replicating Psychology Studies, Good Luck
- Sexual Harassment in Science What Have We Learned (OP ED)
- How Does Obesity Cause Disease In Organs Distant From Those Where Fat Accumulates?
- Networking Lets Sharks Off The Hook
- Hacking Memory To Follow Through With Intentions
- "This is pure, unmitigated nonsense. ..."
- "No, I am not saying a lack of belief will result in research showing something does not work. There..."
- "I think the text is quite easy to comprehend considering the difficulty of the subject matter...."
- "If you find a food without chemicals, please let the world know. You will get the biggest Nobel..."
- "Hi Tommaso, I think that the explanation can be understood with a bit of effort. However I am pretty..."
- When it comes to replicating studies, context matters, an analysis of reproducibility pro
- Squids on the rise as oceans change
- Loss of Y chromosome in blood is associated with developing Alzheimer's disease
- New disease gene will lead to better screening for pediatric heart disease
- Enhanced arginine metabolism may counteract inflammation pathways in asthma