Atheists can't figure out religious people. It shouldn't be that hard, religious people only believe in one more God than atheists, so they aren't all that different, while atheists only believe in one fewer God than religious people, who don't believe in a lot of other Gods, so they aren't that different either. Yet they just don't get along.
There may be new hope for understanding and dialogue. Religious Belief Systems of Persons with High Functioning Autism (HFA) finds that autistic people are more likely to be atheists than neurotypical (NT) people.
Razib Khan at Discover Blogs notes that social science data usually doesn't have much good to say about atheists anyway - disagreeable - but this may be evidence that more biologically 'rational' people lack the ability to accept the supernatural as easily, so it isn't their fault. He titles his piece "Atheism as mental deviance" to tweat his pageviews a little, since he is a proclaimed atheist. I'll link to the graph on his site so he gets some extra link juice:
There's something in there for both camps to insult each other about, and that is always good fun. Khan is also one of about five non-progressives in science media so he is worth following for that reason alone. Celebrate diversity.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Intellectually Gifted Kids And Learning Disabilities Often Go Hand In Hand
- NRDC Says Your Xbox Is Causing Global Warming - But It Isn't
- New Autism-causing Genetic Variant Identified
- Another One Bites The Dust - WW Cross Section Gets Back Where It Belongs
- A Tampon Could Help Predict Endometrial Cancer
- When Does Quantum Mechanics Become Classical Physics?
- How To Save Formula 1
- "I have just readHow a bee sting saved my life: poison as medicineApparently bee venom can punch..."
- "I actually LIKE being called names, especially when they are original and caustic. I find this..."
- "C'mon dude. Look in the mirror? Surely you must be able to do better than that. I'm rather disappointed..."
- "I always try to reply to all comments, no matter how inane. I only bothered to answer yours (instead..."
- "The internal review was by an environmentalist who used to work at Quaker Oats and the computer..."