Atheists can't figure out religious people. It shouldn't be that hard, religious people only believe in one more God than atheists, so they aren't all that different, while atheists only believe in one fewer God than religious people, who don't believe in a lot of other Gods, so they aren't that different either. Yet they just don't get along.
There may be new hope for understanding and dialogue. Religious Belief Systems of Persons with High Functioning Autism (HFA) finds that autistic people are more likely to be atheists than neurotypical (NT) people.
Razib Khan at Discover Blogs notes that social science data usually doesn't have much good to say about atheists anyway - disagreeable - but this may be evidence that more biologically 'rational' people lack the ability to accept the supernatural as easily, so it isn't their fault. He titles his piece "Atheism as mental deviance" to tweat his pageviews a little, since he is a proclaimed atheist. I'll link to the graph on his site so he gets some extra link juice:
There's something in there for both camps to insult each other about, and that is always good fun. Khan is also one of about five non-progressives in science media so he is worth following for that reason alone. Celebrate diversity.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Better Brains With Beer
- How A Former Naturopath Can Help Unravel The Trickery of Alternative Medicine
- Tidal Disruption Event: Black Hole Eats Star, Beams Signal To Earth
- Brexit, the EU Now Has its Puerto Rico.
- 9,000 Years: Origin Of Farmed Rice Gets Pushed Back
- The Supreme Court Has Set Back Diversity In Education
- The Magic Number 3? Maybe Not.
- "A better picture might be obtained by reading this article from an Irish journalist based in Russia..."
- "Well, isn’t that just the cat’s whiskers! ..."
- "Was the message to vote Brexit?..."
- "Just about all the photos of Nibiru shared online are lens flares, or offset lens reflections,..."
- "Hello, I am also wondering who is paying you to lie......I have pictures of it and so do all my..."
- ACSH Applauds Media Awareness of the Fentanyl Crisis
- Counting Bites Examined, to Help Decrease Food Intake
- The Safe And Unsafe Nutty Treats For Your Pup
- Mr. Potato Head Needs a New Warning Label!
- Shark Finning is Banned in the US; Banning Trade in Fins May Be Next
- Move Over Zika, It’s Yellow Fever’s Turn
- Should I stay or should I go?
- New cancer immunotherapy drugs linked to arthritis in some patients
- Simulations foresee hordes of colliding black holes in LIGO's future
- Analysis of genetic repeats suggests role for DNA instability in schizophrenia
- Analysis of media reporting reveals new information about snakebites and how and when they occur