Atheists can't figure out religious people. It shouldn't be that hard, religious people only believe in one more God than atheists, so they aren't all that different, while atheists only believe in one fewer God than religious people, who don't believe in a lot of other Gods, so they aren't that different either. Yet they just don't get along.
There may be new hope for understanding and dialogue. Religious Belief Systems of Persons with High Functioning Autism (HFA) finds that autistic people are more likely to be atheists than neurotypical (NT) people.
Razib Khan at Discover Blogs notes that social science data usually doesn't have much good to say about atheists anyway - disagreeable - but this may be evidence that more biologically 'rational' people lack the ability to accept the supernatural as easily, so it isn't their fault. He titles his piece "Atheism as mental deviance" to tweat his pageviews a little, since he is a proclaimed atheist. I'll link to the graph on his site so he gets some extra link juice:
There's something in there for both camps to insult each other about, and that is always good fun. Khan is also one of about five non-progressives in science media so he is worth following for that reason alone. Celebrate diversity.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Part I: Bee Deaths Mystery Solved? Neonicotinoids (Neonics) May Actually Help Bee Health
- On integrating out short-distance physics
- Is The Micropower Revolution Here?
- Big Data Could Be A Big Problem For Workplace Discrimination Law
- Chronic Pain Isn't All In The Brain
- Violence, Sex And Taboo: The Original Brothers Grimm Fairy Tales Back In Print
- Like Collaboration And Intelligence In Humans? Thank War
- "Chimpanzees go to war with each other and yet they did not evolve into a similarly intelligent..."
- "I have always thought that that formulas like (1) are not clear . If G(u) is a primitive of f(u)..."
- "I am indeed checking with vanEnglesdorp even though the matter seems quite clear cut to me: showing..."
- "Hi, the comics linked below seems to deal with a similar stuff. http://www.smbc-comics.com/?id=3554#comi..."
- "they don't see how it damages the economic system that made America great in the past. Huh? Empirical..."
- Study reveals significantly increased risk of stillbirth in males
- Moderate coffee consumption may lower the risk of Alzheimer's disease by up to 20 percent
- New research supporting stroke rehabilitation
- The artificial pancreas shown to improve the treatment of type 1 diabetes
- The Lancet: Leading medical experts call for an end to UK postcode lottery for liver disease treatment and detection