Atheists can't figure out religious people. It shouldn't be that hard, religious people only believe in one more God than atheists, so they aren't all that different, while atheists only believe in one fewer God than religious people, who don't believe in a lot of other Gods, so they aren't that different either. Yet they just don't get along.
There may be new hope for understanding and dialogue. Religious Belief Systems of Persons with High Functioning Autism (HFA) finds that autistic people are more likely to be atheists than neurotypical (NT) people.
Razib Khan at Discover Blogs notes that social science data usually doesn't have much good to say about atheists anyway - disagreeable - but this may be evidence that more biologically 'rational' people lack the ability to accept the supernatural as easily, so it isn't their fault. He titles his piece "Atheism as mental deviance" to tweat his pageviews a little, since he is a proclaimed atheist. I'll link to the graph on his site so he gets some extra link juice:
There's something in there for both camps to insult each other about, and that is always good fun. Khan is also one of about five non-progressives in science media so he is worth following for that reason alone. Celebrate diversity.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Women,This Is Your Brain On Junk Food
- The Chicxulub Meteorite Killed The Dinosaurs But Made Forests Great
- Falling Down: Without Enough Gravity, It's Hard For Astronauts To Tell Which Way Is Up
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Reset To Pristine State
- Emotion Recognition Software
- Superfast Data Using Radio Waves Rather Than Optics
- Historical Global Carbon Cycle Needs A Rethink
- "The problem is that the drugs work. A friend of mine was a professional cyclist who once said to..."
- "Correction to my previous post. It should say The dose makes the poison. http://learn.caim.yale..."
- "I understand what you're saying. Here's where my thinking differs. I don't see a line between what..."
- "Our Nrf2 Activator has 8 patents and is proven to reduce human cellular oxidative stress (aging)..."
- "The kind that can be done via natural cross breeding methods now through natural life cycles and..."
- Sharks' skin has teeth in the fight against hospital superbugs
- Violent origins of disc galaxies probed by ALMA
- Global shift away from cars saves US$100 trillion, eliminates 1,700 MT of CO2 pollution
- 'Smart material' chin strap harvests energy from chewing
- World Alzheimer Report 2014 reveals persuasive evidence for dementia risk reduction