If you think a university education is expensive, you might want to blame the government trying to create voters for its party by giving away something for free - in the early 1990s, Congress decided that since a college education meant higher lifetime earnings, giving everyone a college education would mean everyone got rich.
Only colleges got rich - but a decade before that, the government wanted to give colleges more money too. By allowing them to patent technology from research created with government grants, it was postulated that college tuitions would remain low. That didn't happen, but they may spike even more if a farmer's case against Monsanto wins in the Supreme Court.
Now, Monsanto sucks, because in the modern world of progressive science academia, all corporate researchers are immediately unethical the moment they don't set their sights on an academic career - but they might be getting a bad rap on this one.
Contrary to popular opinion, Monsanto did not go around suing small farmers who used their seed, they just didn't want small farmers using them so they didn't sell to them. Why? GMO products work because of herd immunity and Monsanto wants to make sure the rules are obeyed. We don't want another DDT, where small farmers think more is better and so Rachel Carson gets famous writing an advocacy book claiming she knew someone who used DDT and got cancer and died a few months later.
But, in a rather suspicious move, a small farmer goes and buys some grain from a silo to plant a secondary crop and - well, he had no idea - some of the seed turned out to be Monsanto GMO stuff. Well, he didn't buy it from Monsanto, he says, and because it is for a second crop, he shouldn't have to pay for it anyway. Off to court we go.
If that sounds like a set-up to you, you are not alone. Naturally, the $29 billion organic Big Food industry and its alternative medicine and anti-vaccine fellow travelers are spinning it as a poor oppressed farmer standing up to an evil corporation.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Bang !! 13 TeV - The Highest Energy Ever Achieved By Mankind ?!
- WISE J224607.57-052635.0, The Most Luminous Galaxy In The Universe
- Mystery Of Morgellons - Disease Or Delusion - Scientific Hypothesis Of Connection With Lyme Disease
- Tanzania's Disappearing Serengeti
- NaSt1 - One-Of-A-Kind 'Nasty' Star
- Why Does The Public Worry About GM Foods But Embrace Biotech Medicine?
- EU Grants Submitted And Won: Some Statistics
- "I don't think anyone would describe an airplane as a subatomic particle! Reading carefully Dorigo..."
- "According to Dorigo, the only right answer will be 4. The reason why he considers others incorrect..."
- "To this point, I had an argument with someone who told me that the urea that you piss is different..."
- "Sound like Full Professor material to me...."
- "#4, I assume. I have no clue how many inverse fb will be needed at 13 TeV to have the most energetic..."
- Study uses farm data to aid in slowing evolution of herbicide-resistant weeds
- Mental 'map' and 'compass' are two separate systems
- Head injuries could result in neurodegenerative disease in rugby union players
- Time is muscle in acute heart failure
- American Indian students disproportionately disciplined compared to white students